Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy by Vincent Bugliosi May 29, 2007

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just spotted the book this morning in my local Borders, and man is it HUGE! I flipped through some of it and it looks very interesting, but I don't have the extra cash nor the time to sit down and read it now, so I'll have to wait a bit.
Old 05-14-07, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The book was scheduled for May 29 but it's officially coming out May 15 (today or tomorrow depending on your time zone).

I also see that it is veritably rocketing up Amazon's best seller list and is now at 102 (Amazon has just one list for all kinds of books so that could make it pretty high on the hardcover nonfiction bestseller list; by my count it's around 40.). I saw it way up in the thousands just a few days ago. Pretty amazing for a $50 (list price) book.

I can get it at our cost (about $30) through my store. I hope to have it in my hands by Wednesday.

Last edited by movielib; 05-14-07 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-15-07, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Interesting article on the book in the Times yesterday. It sounds like a monumental work. I doubt this will finally put to rest the theories of the conspiracy nuts, but one can hope.
Old 05-15-07, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Good article here:

A prosecutor revisits JFK's assassination
By Edward Wyatt
Published: May 15, 2007

LOS ANGELES: The prosecutor who put Charles Manson behind bars now wants to solve another crime, a really simple one, he insists. So simple that it takes only 1,612 pages to prove his case.

Vincent Bugliosi, whose prosecution of Charles Manson in 1970 led him to write the best-selling true-crime book "Helter Skelter," has now turned his attention to the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

And that is his full attention: 20 years of research, more than one million words, hundreds of interviews, thousands of documents and more than 10,000 citations. The result, "Reclaiming History: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy" (W.W. Norton), was due out this week. His conclusion: Lee Harvey Oswald killed Kennedy, and acted alone.

Why would such a simple conclusion require so much argument?

"Because of the unceasing and fanatical obsession of thousands of researchers over the last 43 years, from around the world but mostly in the United States," Bugliosi, 72, said in an interview in Studio City, California. "Examining under a high-powered microscope every comma, every period, every detail on every conceivable issue, and making hundreds and hundreds of allegations, they have transformed this simple case into its present form."

Bugliosi likes to tell a story illustrating why he believes this book is necessary. In 1992, less than a year after the debut of Oliver Stone's conspiracy-minded film "JFK," Bugliosi was addressing a group of trial lawyers when a member of the audience asked him about the assassination.

Bugliosi asked for a show of hands of how many people did not accept the findings of the Warren Commission, which had investigated the assassination and concluded that Oswald was the killer. Close to 90 percent of the 600 lawyers raised their hands, he recalled. Then he asked how many had seen "JFK" or read an account that argued in favor of a conspiracy; a similar number raised their hands. Finally, he asked how many had read the Warren Commission report. Only a smattering of hands went up.

"The first national poll that came out shortly after the assassination showed the majority of Americans accepted the Warren Commission," he said. "But all people have seen throughout the years is one book after another propounding the conspiracy theory. It has penetrated the consciousness of the American people and convinced them that the Warren Commission's a big joke, and that Oswald was either innocent or just some patsy who was framed by some exotic group of conspirators, ranging from anti-Catholic Cuban exiles to organized crime working in league with U.S. intelligence. And the majority of Americans now, 75 percent, believe there was a conspiracy."

Prominent proponents of alternative assassination theories are already prepared to dispute Bugliosi's conclusions. Stone, for example, said that most Americans believed the assassination was more than the work of Oswald alone "from the very beginning."

"President Johnson didn't believe the Warren Commission; nor did Robert Kennedy, as David Talbot's new book 'Brothers' shows," Stone said in an e-mail message. "In 1979, the House of Representatives Select Committee on Assassinations determined that President Kennedy 'was probably assassinated as the result of a conspiracy.' The Warren Commission, deservedly, has not stood the test of time."

But Bugliosi maintains that the American public has been conned into believing Oswald was framed, and that among the victims is Oswald's widow, Marina, whom Bugliosi interviewed in 2000. After telling the Warren Commission that she believed her husband was guilty, she has slowly changed her story over the years.

"She's never changed the facts upon which her initial conclusions were based," Bugliosi said. And, he added, he is convinced that the tempestuous nature of Lee and Marina Oswald's relationship played a part in the murder. The night before the assassination, Bugliosi writes, Oswald, then separated from his wife, visited her and asked her to come back to him, which she refused to do.

In 1986, Bugliosi participated in a mock trial of Lee Harvey Oswald in London, produced by a British television company. Acting as prosecutor, he faced off against Gerry Spence, the famed defense lawyer. The case was tried before a jury of Americans who were flown over for the event. The jury found Oswald guilty.

That experience led Bugliosi deeper into the assassination files. In addition to the Warren Commission report, he scoured the files of the House committee on assassinations and dug into reams of other documents in the National Archives. He conducted scores of interviews. In addition to his 1,612-page book, he compiled nearly 1,000 pages of endnotes, which are included on a CD-ROM.

"No one was thinking in terms of a book like this coming out and laying all questions to rest," he said. "Even questions that people wouldn't dream about, I think, are answered in this book. It's the only book that covers the entire case."

Of course, other books have reached the same conclusion, including Gerald Posner's "Case Closed" in 1993. While Bugliosi called that book a "valuable contribution" to the assassination literature, he criticized Posner's methods, accusing him of taking quotations out of context and omitting contrary evidence.

As a deputy district attorney in Los Angeles, Bugliosi tried more than 100 cases, winning nearly all of them. That experience, he said, gives him a unique ability to address a case as sprawling as the Kennedy assassination. "The assassination literature is so vast that people spend years of their lives just concentrating on one little aspect of it: Oswald, Ruby, the Warren Commission, Jim Garrison's prosecution of Clay Shaw in New Orleans, the CIA, the Mob," he said. "I took on the whole thing here."

The Warren Commission, for example, did not deal with the issue of acoustics. Bugliosi addressed that in a 65-page endnote, which itself has dozens of footnotes. The House committee, he added, did not deal with all the conspiracy issues.

Bugliosi said he did not expect anyone to sit down and read the book from beginning to end. The way it is broken into sections makes it an easily accessible reference book (albeit one that is priced at $49.95).

And if anybody does read the whole thing, Bugliosi said, one conclusion will be inescapable. "It's my view that it's impossible for any reasonable, rational person to read this book without being satisfied beyond all reasonable doubt that Oswald killed Kennedy and acted alone," he said.

Bugliosi says he does not believe he will persuade all the conspiracy-minded people out there. But as for the 75 percent who believe there was more to it than Oswald, he said, "I think we're going to knock it down substantially."
Old 05-15-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope the Die-Hard Guy reads Bugliosi's book.

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/celebri...e+.-15512.html

Willis: 'JFK's Killers Still At Large'.

14th May 2007 02:01:02

Willis: 'JFK's Killers Still At Large'.

Hollywood actor BRUCE WILLIS has warned former US President JOHN F KENNEDY's killers are still at large, insisting LEE HARVEY OSWALD did not act alone.

Oswald was, according to four US government investigations, solely responsible for the 1963 assassination of Kennedy in Dallas. Oswald was shot dead two days after the murder on his way to Dallas County Jail.

However, Willis insists it's likely that Oswald was made a scapegoat for the assassination, telling Vanity Fair, "They still haven't caught the guy that killed Kennedy. I'll get killed for saying this, but I'm pretty sure those guys are still in power, in some form. The entire government of the United States was co-opted.

"I don't think my opinion means jack s**t, because I'm an actor. Why do actors think their opinions mean more because you act?"
We don't, Bruce.
Old 05-15-07, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The book is #67 now (about #27 in nonfiction hardcover).

I should have my copy tomorrow.
Old 05-16-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd be curious to see if, after reading this book, anyone here changes their opinion about who killed Kennedy.
Old 05-16-07, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Since I already agree with Bugliosi, it's unlikely!
Old 05-16-07, 04:45 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by PalmerJoss
I'd be curious to see if, after reading this book, anyone here changes their opinion about who killed Kennedy.
My guess is that most conspiracy theorists will ignore the book altogether and dismiss it out of hand. A few will read it and publish counter-arguments, which will then be parroted by other conspiracy theorists.
Old 05-16-07, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I now have the book and I'm going to start reading it this weekend.

I'll tell you all when I finish in 2010.
Old 05-16-07, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
My guess is that most conspiracy theorists will ignore the book altogether and dismiss it out of hand. A few will read it and publish counter-arguments, which will then be parroted by other conspiracy theorists.
Just for the record, I am a conspiracy theorist and do not believe that Oswald in any way acted alone. I'm just curious about the argument that Bugliosi puts forth, so I plan to read it when I have the time and money.
Old 05-20-07, 03:55 PM

In the Arkansas Democrat Gazette, there is a review of the book written by David Walton, a writer who lives in Pittsburgh. He has nothing negative to say and was full of praise for the book. Here are some quotes from the review:

...once your start, you'll want to read every page. This is an outstanding book and an important publishing event on several counts, not least of which is its storytelling.
The cornerstone of the book is its first 300 pages, titled "four Days in November," which chronicle the vents of Nov. 22-25...the grief and pageantry of those four days shift to the background, and the focus is on the who, what, where, when and how of the criminal case.
The first half of the book is devoted to the evidence, to "What Happened" and its section on Oswald is a full-length biography in itself.
"Book Two" is devoted to the conspiracies, to "What Did Not Happen," and these line up like pins to be knocked down: Organized Crime, FBI, KGB, Right Wing, LBJ, Cuba.
Bugliosi's book, which denies all conspiracies, has the ring of truth--scrupulous, irrefutable truth--and I predict it will be the line that historians a hundred years from now will take on this story.
This review really makes me want to read this book, but I wonder whether I want a full length biography of what was essentially small man.
Old 05-21-07, 02:17 AM

Here are links to two very good radio interviews with "Reclaiming History" author Vincent Bugliosi:

WNYC (37 minutes; May 15, 2007):

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/lopate/epi...segments/78931

KMOX (32 minutes; May 18, 2007):

http://www.kmox.com/play_window.php?...audioId=729008
Old 05-21-07, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Reviews in the Los Angeles Times and the New York Times:

http://www.calendarlive.com/books/la...books-features

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/20/bo...html?ref=books
Old 05-21-07, 08:42 AM

The LA Times review is certainly a glowing one. I am not a conspiracy supporter, so I only take issue with this:
From this point forward, no reasonable person can argue that Lee Harvey Oswald was innocent; no sane person can take seriously assertions that Kennedy was killed by the CIA, Fidel Castro, the Mob, the Soviets, the Vietnamese, Texas oilmen or his vice president, Lyndon B. Johnson...Each may be guilty of crimes, but none had anything to do with Kennedy's assassination. "Reclaiming History" may finally move those accusations beyond civilized debate.
Frankly, nothing will discourage some of the conspiracy supporters, nothing. I think this is partly because it's so hard to accept that such a little man could kill the President.
Old 05-31-07, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I forgot I had ordered this, but Amazon shipped it a couple days ago! I'll probably dig into this after I finish re-reading the Harry Potter books.
Old 06-06-07, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just got the book today. 1500+ pages, small type. This one's gonna take awhile!
Old 06-14-07, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just got my copy in today from deepdiscount.com for only $33.16. Have no idea when I will get started on it.
Old 06-15-07, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've read a little over half of it. I've done a bit of skipping around such as going ahead to read the long chapter in Garrison, Stone and the film JFK. This is a well-worth-it read all around, if not even more comprehensive than necessary.
Old 06-17-07, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Great news:

http://www.reclaiminghistory.com/

HBO miniseries to be based on Reclaiming History
June 07, 2007

Variety reports that HBO and Playtone are near completion of a deal to turn Vincent Bugliosi's Reclaiming History into a 10-part miniseries. The series will depict Oswald's journey to becoming an assassin and his eventual murder by Jack Ruby.

Tom Hanks, Gary Goetzman, and Bill Paxton will serve as executive producers on the project. "I totally believed there was a conspiracy, but after you read the book, you are almost embarrassed that you ever believed it," Goetzman said.
Old 06-25-07, 01:26 AM

My Book Review.......

Vince Bugliosi's "Reclaiming History":

http://google.com/group/alt.conspira...0e813277d5baa0
Old 06-25-07, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidvp
My Book Review.......

Vince Bugliosi's "Reclaiming History":

http://google.com/group/alt.conspira...0e813277d5baa0
David. As comprehensive a book review as Bugliosi's work is a book.

I've now read about 1,000 pages. I'm at page 900 but I've read ahead the chapter on Garrison and Stone for obvious reasons and I also read the chapter on Mark Lane for a less obvious reason.

I saw Lane make his famous presentation in Madison on March 18, 1975. I know the date because I gave up seeing the season finale of M*A*S*H in those pre-VCR days when Henry Blake got killed. Didn't see it until years later.

Anyway, at that time I really didn't have much of an opinion about whether or not there was a conspiracy. I heard all Lane's "facts" and saw the Zapruder film for the first time. "Back and to the left" got massive oohs and aahs from the audience, including me. I was very impressed. I remember getting home and telling my wife (who wasn't interested in going so I went alone) that what I saw was amazing and telling her that if 1/10 of what Lane said was true there had to be a conspiracy. Of course, virtually none of what he said was true. It took me many years to realize that.
Old 06-25-07, 01:28 PM

David. As comprehensive a book review as Bugliosi's work is a book.

You say you want more? Okay...here's my full-length evaluation. The link provided above is only a truncated version. .....

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...8754d36b13d2d8

Last edited by davidvp; 06-25-07 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-27-07, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's no denying that Mr. Bugliosi is an excellent writer and researcher, but this mammoth, spawling book is "his opinion," after all. I mean, its not gospel. There was a book recently published that is just as huge as Bugliosi's, and just as well researched, but leans towards conspiracy: http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Sacri...377153-7542304

I am not discrediting either author...I'm sure the Bug's book is a fascinating read, and you will believe his vision. However, I'm sure the other book is just as fascinating, just as believable.

Oh, who the hell knows?!!
Old 06-27-07, 08:04 AM
Banned

I give all the credit in the world to anyone who can read this entire book. I bought the book last month, I got about halfway through the INTRODUCTION and I had to put it down. By the way the 1600 page total does NOT include the huge introduction section! Anyone (like me) who has ADD will never be able to finish this monster. I need something smaller, like a Lemory Snicket book!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.