Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy by Vincent Bugliosi May 29, 2007

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-07, 09:07 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No idea he'd written another book.

I guess if he can make Manson into a cold blooded killer , he can tell us who killed JFK as well.

After reading Helter Skelter, i'm not sure who was using more LSD in '69 the supposed Manson "family", or Vince.

this book should be enjoyable.
Old 06-27-07, 09:28 AM
Banned

I am not discrediting either author...
Lamar Waldron's Dragon*Con bio adequately sums up his credibility (or lack thereof).

Hmm, the prosecutor of the Manson case vs. "(creator of) the idea for the first 'Dawn Look-a-like' contest in 1998 for DragonCon". What a toughie.

There is an obvious reason why there's such a massive amount of overlap between conspiracy theorists and sci-fi/fantasy fans.
Old 06-27-07, 11:02 AM

I'm sure the Bug's book is a fascinating read, and you will believe his vision. However, I'm sure the other book ["Ultimate Sacrifice"] is just as fascinating, just as believable.

"Ultimate Sacrifice", like all other conspiracy-related tomes, is 100% speculation (IOW: pure junk/fantasy). Let's listen as Mr. Bugliosi rips into it (and rightfully so)......

=================================================

"From the {Top Secret U.S.} CONTINGENCY invasion {of Cuba} plan, conspiracy author Lamar Waldron (with coauthor Thom Hartmann) has produced one of the most empty, vacuous books ever written about the assassination {2005's "Ultimate Sacrifice: John And Robert Kennedy, The Plan For A Coup In Cuba, And The Murder Of JFK"}.

"Although it is well written, it makes incredible assumptions, the authors untroubled by the lack of support for these assumptions in the record. ....

"If the reader hasn't figured it out by now, all of this is much to-do about nothing, which would be a much more apt title for Waldron's book. Even assuming everything Waldron says is true, SO WHAT? It is common knowledge that the CIA had multiple plans to overthrow or assassinate Castro. If C-Day was one we hadn't heard of before Waldron told us, so what? What's the relevance?

"Listening to Waldron, one might believe that all the other well known attempts on Castro's life or to overthrow him were subsumed by his C-Day. But even if this absurdity were true, again, so what?

"Waldron knows he has to show the SO WHAT, and that's what he tries to do in the other half of his book. In this other half...Waldron makes one ludicrous assumption after another, never bothering to present a lick of evidence to support any of the assumptions. .... Waldron's theory could hardly be more ludicrous.

"One gets the definite sense from Waldron's book that the U.S. government, RFK, and the CIA were much more interested in protecting the secrecy of the attempt on Castro's life on December 1 {1963} than they were in bringing JFK's killers (the mob, per Waldron) to justice. ....

"Without bothering to present one tiny speck of evidence to support his allegation, Waldron says in several places in his book that {Mafia mobsters} "Marcello, Trafficante and Roselli planned the assassination" of JFK. ....

"The source for all this? You guessed it: Lamar Waldron. You see, he was present during all these meetings {involving Mafia kingpins as they planned JFK's demise}...and was nice enough to pass on what he saw and heard. And apparently no editor of Waldron's book was about to tell Waldron that his book was supposed to be nonfiction, not fiction, so he would have to have a source for all of this other than his own silly mind. ....

"One thing he {Waldron} knows. Oswald was innocent and just a patsy, Waldron totally ignoring the mountain of evidence against Oswald. ....

"Waldron started his book with nothing to say, added a whole lot of nothing to it, and ended up with nothing. So why have I wasted my time and space in this endnote talking about nothing? Because of a few things. Waldron's book is one of the longest (904 pages) {960 pages in its re-released 2006 paperback "Updated Edition", which promises "Dramatic new revelations"} ever written on the assassination and...gives the outward appearance of being a scholarly work. ....

"So to expose, as I believe I have, the ridiculous nature of a book like this demonstrates...the absolutely utter and total bankruptcy of the conspiracy movement in this country."
-- VINCENT T. BUGLIOSI; Via "Reclaiming History's" endnotes (pages 759 and 762-766)

=================================================

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-re...e=ReviewDetail

Last edited by davidvp; 07-25-07 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-27-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a big Bugliosi fan, having read and really enjoyed Outrage, Helter Skelter and The Sea Will Tell.

Not going to touch this one, however. The definitive book on the assassination, IMO, is Gerald Posner's Case Closed. THAT book convinced me of Oswald's guilt. Don't need 1600 more pages of convincing.
Old 06-27-07, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TimeandTide
I'm a big Bugliosi fan, having read and really enjoyed Outrage, Helter Skelter and The Sea Will Tell.

Not going to touch this one, however. The definitive book on the assassination, IMO, is Gerald Posner's Case Closed. THAT book convinced me of Oswald's guilt. Don't need 1600 more pages of convincing.
Posner's book convinced me also. I have had virtually no doubt Oswald was guilty and there was no conspiracy ever since reading it.

However, Bugliosi's book is far more comprehensive and he also corrects errors that Posner made and addresses issues Posner didn't. It is well worth the read.
Old 07-17-07, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I'd be interested in this, but it would definitely have to be a good read. I have a slew of Kennedy books that I have to get through as it is, but one for example I had to stop. I believe it was a Kissinger book and was just awful to read. It couldn't keep my attention to save its life! Unfortunately, I could see this book doing the same.
Old 07-25-07, 09:35 PM

The link below leads to an expanded mega version of my review for Vince Bugliosi's 2007 book, "Reclaiming History" (enhanced with photos within the text and hyperlinks and such).

Take a week off and have a look. I think certain JFK fans might enjoy it. .....

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/....php?p=3200858

Last edited by davidvp; 07-25-07 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-26-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 330 Likes on 246 Posts
I'm only about 200 pages in, but this is a GREAT read. I loved Posner's book, but had no idea how biased it was when I first read it (to his credit, Bugliosi discredits much of Posner's work, even though the two have the same conclusion regarding Kennedy's assassination).