Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

anyone read The Prestige by Christopher Priest?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-06, 12:46 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone read this? I finished it last night and still have some things I can't figure out...
Old 10-13-06, 02:19 AM
Suspended

I have.
Old 10-13-06, 04:48 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Son_Of_Zod
I have.
Ok, here's what I don't get...

Spoiler:
Was Borden able to do his transporting illusion because he had a "Prestige" of himself? I mean, he didn't have a twin brother. In the note he sent to Angier, it did read "Tesla". So was the Prestige twin the Pact he kept referring to? Or was it something else? But if he knew the Tesla secret, why was he so baffled by how Angier did his illusion? I mean, the apparatus was on stage, he should have plainly seen what Angier was doing. I'm confused.
Old 10-13-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I started it this past summer, but put it down because I was working a lot and couldn't concentrate on the book. I hope to pick it up shortly and read it before I see the movie. From what I hear, the book is supposed to be quite good with a nice twist ending.
Old 10-23-06, 11:44 PM
Cool New Member

anyone?
Old 10-24-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wehtx
anyone?
I'm reading the book now and I'm about halfway through it. I should have it done by weeks end. I'll post my thoughts then.
Old 10-24-06, 03:48 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although I've read it, it was too long ago to be able to answer your question off the top of my head. Maybe I'll re-read it next.
Old 10-27-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wehtx
Ok, here's what I don't get...

Spoiler:
Was Borden able to do his transporting illusion because he had a "Prestige" of himself? I mean, he didn't have a twin brother. In the note he sent to Angier, it did read "Tesla". So was the Prestige twin the Pact he kept referring to? Or was it something else? But if he knew the Tesla secret, why was he so baffled by how Angier did his illusion? I mean, the apparatus was on stage, he should have plainly seen what Angier was doing. I'm confused.
Alright - here's what I got:

Spoiler:
Borden did not have a Prestige of himself, he did in fact have a twin brother that he concealed from the world. He even went so far as to falsify documents and photos to conceal the fact that his brother was his twin. Borden's real name was Frederick and his brother's real name was Albert. Put them together and you get Alfred, his given name throughout most of the book. So yes, his twin was the Pact that he kept referring to in his writings. Also, Borden did not know the secret of Angier's device built by Tesla. The device that Tesla built Borden was all for show - just lots of electricity to make his "illusion" look more dramatic. While Angier visited Tesla he remarked in his journals that he and Tesla were truly working on science whereas Borden was chiefly concerned with theatrics. That was why Borden was so confounded when he went to see Angier's act - he didn't even consider that it would be possible to transport yourself, only to make it look like you had been transported.

I hope that answers your questions. Overall, the book was good. I didn't like the ending as it just....ended. Not much got resolved, at least with the present day characters. I'm curious to see the movie now to see how they interpreted it for the screen.
Old 10-31-06, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PalmerJoss
Alright - here's what I got:

Spoiler:
Borden did not have a Prestige of himself, he did in fact have a twin brother that he concealed from the world. He even went so far as to falsify documents and photos to conceal the fact that his brother was his twin. Borden's real name was Frederick and his brother's real name was Albert. Put them together and you get Alfred, his given name throughout most of the book. So yes, his twin was the Pact that he kept referring to in his writings. Also, Borden did not know the secret of Angier's device built by Tesla. The device that Tesla built Borden was all for show - just lots of electricity to make his "illusion" look more dramatic. While Angier visited Tesla he remarked in his journals that he and Tesla were truly working on science whereas Borden was chiefly concerned with theatrics. That was why Borden was so confounded when he went to see Angier's act - he didn't even consider that it would be possible to transport yourself, only to make it look like you had been transported.

I hope that answers your questions. Overall, the book was good. I didn't like the ending as it just....ended. Not much got resolved, at least with the present day characters. I'm curious to see the movie now to see how they interpreted it for the screen.
from what I read of your spoiler, it's fairly similar. I really enjoyed the way the movie handled the material.
Old 11-05-06, 01:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can anyone recommend other books that deal with magicians, simlar to "The Prestige" and "Carter Beats the Devil"?
Old 11-05-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I'm reading Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke and it deals with two dueling magicians in early 18'th century England. The difference, though, is that in this book magic is real and the book is intended to be more fantasy than regular fiction, like The Prestige was. It's still an incredible read, just a different kind of book about magicians.
Old 11-07-06, 09:26 PM
Suspended

The Secret Life Of Houdini just came out last week. It's a rather extensive biography, that makes claim that Houdini was involved as a spy for the US and UK. I've only read the first chapter so far. It oftens reads like a narrative, rather than just straight out fact after fact, so it keeps your interest.
Old 02-21-09, 03:35 AM

Re: anyone read The Prestige by Christopher Priest?

I only saw the movie but here is what I got from it in terms of what you guys are discussing...
Spoiler:
although PalmerJoss maybe you're right in terms of the book because in the movie they don't mention any Albert or Frederick as far as I can recall (I'll need to rewatch!)
My take is that Alfred Borden DID have a Tesla clone who he performed his trick with but the reason he couldn't figure out Angier's trick was because he couldn't fathom killing someone - even his own newly created clone - just for a magic trick.
I got that Borden figured out what Tesla's machine did when he was in Colorado and had his own double (the man who became Fallon) created..maybe by accident. Of course, he then had to falsify documents to give this clone an identity because Fallon was a clone and had been created out of thin air and therefore had no identity otherwise.
If they were twins they would essentially have to have been planning to do the trick their entire lives and both would have to be so totally dedicated to the idea of magic and this trick it's just a little too much. (I know a couple sets of identical twins and they're each very different people with different interests.) So Borden and Fallon were the same person cloned and from the moment they were cloned they each began to have different experiences leading them to grow into somewhat different people over the years and fall in love with different women...remember Fallon wouldn't have had that 'moment' with Sarah that caused Borden to fall in love with her. Also, it would just be too amazing a coincidence that he sends Angier to Tesla who just happens to have a machine that creates doubles handy.
My $0.02
Old 02-23-09, 03:21 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[I believe that the situation regarding Alfred is the same in both the book & film]

ab0rt I think you do need to re-watch