Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Please help identify this Billboard reference book

Old 03-04-05, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Please help identify this Billboard reference book

Hello...

Posting here, because I'm tired of looking for this item without luck.

A couple of years ago, a 'temporary' bookstore opened here where they sold several closeout and seconds of books.

One I picked up was I believe by Joel Whitburn who writes for Billboard magazine and has a site, recordresearch.com....

It was very informative, a great resource, but I leant it to a friend that lost it, and I've been trying to replace it ever since.

Each page listed one song that hit #1, the dates it hit, length, blah blah. It also had a photo of the artist/group, the other songs in the #5 and lots of trivia and info about the group.

Since several artists have had multiple #1's, some artists had a lot written about them.

I think it only went through 1992.

I have looked and looked for this, but I can't remember the title.

I have gone to ebay, amazon, even Joel's official site. All I got from the official site is a catalog.

Every other book I find of Joel's just has alphabetical lists of the hits, and a few photos.

It went from I believe 1955-1992.

I want it for the trivia tidbits.

Please help me out!

Thanks so much!
Old 03-04-05, 03:34 AM

I believe you're looking for the Pop Annual book. It's now on it's sixth edition and slightly different than the 1992 edition. It goes through 1999. Here's a description from Joel's Recordresearch website:

POP ANNUAL 1955-1999 - 6th Edition

THE HOT 100 - Year-By-Year --- 45 YEARLY RANKINGS OF AMERICA'S FAVORITE MUSIC...The Perfect Companion To Top Pop Singles

A must for every music enthusiast's bookshelf, our new Pop Annual 1955-1999 is a year-by-year ranking, in numerical order according to the highest chart position reached, of the 23,070 singles that peaked on Billboard's pop singles charts ("Hot 100," "Best Sellers in Stores," "Most Played by Jockeys," "Most Played in Juke Boxes" and "Top 100") from January, 1955 through December, 1999.

Comprehensive, Essential Chart Data And More...Arranged For Fast, Easy Reference

Peak chart position • Total peak weeks • Peak date • Yearly rank • Original label • Week-by-week chart positions for every #1 through #5 hit's entire chart life • Total weeks in the Top 10 • Total weeks in the Top 40 • Total weeks charted • Week-by-week chart positions on Billboard's multiple weekly '55-'58 pop singles charts for every #1 through #5 hit • RIAA Platinum/Gold certification • Playing time of each title (an exclusive Pop Annual feature) • Indication of first and only hits by each artist • All "tag-along" B-side chart hits are now listed under their A-side • Yearly Time Capsules highlight each year's significant developments in news, sports and entertainment • Yearly Top Artists Rankings • Instrumental, Novelty, Christmas and other specialty recordings are indicated with special symbols

All-New Features Highlight:

Every Song's Songwriter(s)! For the first time ever, we're showing the names of the songwriter(s) for every title that ever made the "Hot 100" or any of Billboard's other pop charts since 1955.

"Airplay" and "Sales" Hits That Didn't Cross Over To The "Hot 100" Now Appear In Yearly Rankings! All titles from Billboard's "Hot 100 Airplay" and "Hot 100 Sales" charts that did not make the "Hot 100" are now included in a special year-end wrap-up at the end of the yearly rankings. This allows airplay-only smash hits to be rightfully listed with other huge "Hot 100" hits of their time!
Old 03-04-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Billboard's Book of NUMBER ONE Hits. It was recently updated up to the year 2002, and it is available in regular bookstores. It has a white cover, and it is quite beautiful.
Old 03-04-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's it!

And it's not Joel Whitburn, it's Fred Bronson. That's why I couldn't find it!

The amazon link lets you look 'inside' and it's correct. I remember the old blue cover too. I only paid like $6 for the other copy. It's about $20 here, that's cool. Most of Joel's books are close to $100.

Thanks!

EDIT: it says that the previous edition went to 97 and was version #4. I must have had #3. I remember it ending in 92.

Last edited by JP5683; 03-04-05 at 11:37 PM.