Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Dark Knight Strikes Again

Old 02-24-05, 08:27 AM
Banned

Dark Knight Strikes Again

I finally got around to reading this. Wow. I was floored. I think I enjoyed it more than DKR, weird. Fantastic stuff. Miller at the top of his game.

I found an interesting article that's well written and informative.

http://flakmag.com/books/darkknight.html
Old 02-24-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmm, that article brings up some interesting points and perhaps I'll give it another read, but I didn't enjoy issues 2 and 3 all that much. Issue 1 was a good setup, but the last two issues just came off as very unfocused. A lot of my feelings about the series probably had to do with the fact that there were long gaps between the releases of the issues. I imagine that the attacks on 9/11 had a lot to do with it. However, I really hated what Miller did with Dick Grayson at the end, although I have a feeling that he was using the character to poke fun at the Burt Ward since there was a definite resemblance.

As of now though, I tend to view DK2 in the same way that Bill Simmons from ESPN sees Rocky V; it didn't happen.
Old 02-24-05, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would say that the general consensus is that DKSB was no where near DKR in terms of quality - and I would definitely agree with that. However, I think I enjoyed DKSB a bit more than most people did, but I don't think it lived up to the hype, or the legacy of the original.
Old 02-24-05, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think this really worked as a sequel to the original DKR. It was just too different in tone from the original that was jarring. The original book presented a subtle apocalypse, a world in slow decay and abandoned by its heroes. DKSA came off like just another future DCU thing.

Really, there NEVER should've been a sequel to DKR. The intent of that book was to be the final Batman story and it should've ended there.
Old 02-25-05, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I Hated DKSA. It was terrible. the art was just god awful. DKR had a sort of flow to it. DKSA was just random scribbles. I disliked it a great deal.
Old 02-25-05, 03:33 AM
Banned

Some people just can't enjoy good satire...

Plus, I think it really works has a in depth commentary on superheroes. It's a sorta "what if", what if Superheroes exsisted. DKSA sorta asks that question and takes a realistic approach with it's interpretation. I adore it.
Old 02-25-05, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I Hated DKSA. It was terrible. the art was just god awful. DKR had a sort of flow to it. DKSA was just random scribbles. I disliked it a great deal.
I really wanted to like the book, even in retrospect... But I gotta agree with Jack.
Old 02-26-05, 08:21 AM
Banned

Perhaps some of you are looking at it purely has a comic book. This is literature my friends, deep, probing, entertaining literature. Much more than merely a comic book.
Old 02-26-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
In a format that takes advantage of both visuals and text. Might aswell get a really fast car that looks like a beat up old pile of junk. If you fail on one aspect the other one will hurt. And in this case, DKSA was not great literature either.

It just wasn't very good and really let a lot of folks down that enjoyed the first and were looking forward to it.

It's a sorta "what if", what if Superheroes exsisted. DKSA sorta asks that question and takes a realistic approach with it's interpretation.
What is new about this concept? Every cape book ask the question on "What if" superheros existed, or in the case of DKSA, read Kingdom Come. It tells the story better and has visuals to boot.
Old 02-27-05, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually liked DKSA. I agree with the person who wrote the article that it was Miller's way of satiring/backhanding people who didn't understand DKR. It's the ultimate kick to the crotch of fan-boys who probably still debate whether Marvel or DC is better and read Wizard: The Comic Book Movie Hype Magazine.

On that note, I am so sick and tired of "Psycho Batman" stories.
Old 03-01-05, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i had forgotton all about this.

i hated it.
at least the first two overpriced issues.
i decided not to give dc my money for the third issue.

been awhile since i read it but i thik the superheroes flying while having sex was done infinitely better in the miracleman series.
plus if you want to read satire about superheroes, miracleman is the best i have read.

also issue 3 took , what 8 months to be finished then released.
rumor was, miller was forced to rewrite it do to backlash from the garbage fest of the first 2 issues.

i think there was some discussion at the time that miller did not have high regard for DC and he purposely maDe the book as far over the line as possible just to tick off DC.
and because he was "FRANK MILLER" and could do whatever he wanted.
Old 03-02-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh
Perhaps some of you are looking at it purely has a comic book. This is literature my friends, deep, probing, entertaining literature. Much more than merely a comic book.
We aren't missing the point. We got the point. It just wasn't very well executed. I hate how people resort to "you just must not get it", rather than accepting that people get it and still disagree.

You can wrap the most brilliant idea in bad art and bad writing and it would be unenjoyable, IMO.
Old 03-04-05, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you liked that check out The Nail and the recent sequel: Another Nail.
Old 03-04-05, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I seem to remember thinking it was ok. But yeah, totally different type of story from DKR. It wasn't really needed.
Old 03-06-05, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've read it a couple times because I loathed it on first read so much I went back a year or so later to see if it'd improved; nope, still sucks, still sloppy and poorly plotted. Miller's done much better satire throughout his career than this; this is just crap gussied up in the emperor's new clothes. I love pretty much everything else Miller does, even "300," but this one just blew.