Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Warfare in the Classical World review

Old 02-23-05, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Warfare in the Classical World review

Here's my review of the hardcover Warfare in the Classical World by John Warry.

Warfare in the Classical World by John Warry is an all text book that goes deep with satisfying detail ranging all the way from the wars of the Homeric Period to the Barbarian invasions that ended the western Empire, even further into the Eastern empire and the Dark Ages ( i recall explanations on the Greek fire that were used). All the commanders, well known and not are explained, the historic reference used from ancient historians, all the political/economic backrounds to war such as many of the campaigns being funded by silver mines from various Roman sites in a comment i recall, naval campaigns no less important are studied, every possible structure of war machines. Caesar, a lover of chronicling his campaigns for example even gave exact measurments of his earthworks and fortifications his army made without any logistics as it fought in Gaul and Brittania and later challenged Rome, and won. It's a great book that i've read over many times because there's just so much information in it, though one nit-pick, it doesn't go deeper into the Roman-Persian wars as it should as they eclipsed every other war of the Ancient world in scope, depth, length, men, materiel, and effort, fought over 4 centuries each side not having the strength to overtake the other, but i bought another book for that, so i give this book a solid 5/5.
Old 02-26-05, 09:03 AM

It's a good book.

However there are two versions - the one without art and diagrams which you evidently read, and the one I have, with the subtitle "An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Weapons, Warriors and Warfare in the Ancient Civilisations of Greece and Rome". The artwork style is a bit dated, and I think it's more expensive, but it's pretty nice to have.
Old 02-26-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only hardcover i know is the one without pictures which i have.

Old 02-26-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I assume Chris means this one (this one's a PB, but was available in HC)...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...897886-5515359

Looks like a good one for me to check out, glad you brought it up.
Old 02-26-05, 05:46 PM
mwj

Is anyone familiar with the PC game Rome: Total War, would this book cover the period in which those battles are fought? Thanks.
Old 03-04-05, 05:58 PM

Yes, the book covers all of Rome.

The book with pictures actually has a new cover now... looks like this:

I think it's only available in softcover.