Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

what bible to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dont think so, ive had MANY catholics say basically the same thing.
If you read it for yourself and seen the lies they were tossing, they would lose so many members that the Pope would be broke, and everyone knows, The Catholic church likes da money. certaintly just my opinion. I love asking Catholics bible questions, because they usually A, get mad. or B, are honest and say i dont know.
Sure there are Catholics who actually read the Bible, but there few and far between. At least on what Ive seen, and Ive talked to hundreds of Catholics about it.
Old 02-26-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmph. Would've thought this was one of the many reforms of the Council of Trent, or at least one of the many subsequent reforms.

"If you read it for yourself and seen the lies they were tossing"

I find it very, very difficult to believe that this exists in the 21st century. But anyway, I prefer Protestantism
Old 02-26-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by foofighters7
If you get a KJV, get an old one, many new ones have been altered and are now incorrect.

How the heck would you know what is correct in the bible anyway. Even people that can understand the Greek and Hebrew texts disagree on the translation.

I read the KJV cover to cover when I was 14 (I was probably 15 when I finished it). I enjoyed it quite a bit overall (some parts are flat out sleep inducing) but a few years ago I decided to read it again to see what I remembered and the inpact it would have on me 15 years later and tried one of the newer modern translations. I gave up a few books in. The Bible just isn't fun to read without the Old English for me.

Granted I include the Bible in the same vein as the Iliad and the Odyssey. Fiction based on history. I know it means a lot more to people that are religious, but I personally find the KJV the more powerful and interesting read.

Last edited by darkside; 02-26-05 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-26-05, 12:37 PM

well darkside there are many places where they have altered words from the original text. I dont feel like going into it, Theres a difference of a basic meaning,as to what the word may or may not exactly mean, its another thing to completly change the word, or to remove words.
Many new bibles even have completly removed the name of God, that alone should make some wonder about the rest of the wording contained within.
wether it be Jehovah, or Yahweh.
This is NOT a simple matter of translation.
YHWH IS the Hebrew Tetragrammaton for the name of God, these were the consonants, and in Hebrew there were no vowels, so the exact pronunciation isnt exactly known, but many Bible Scolars say its pronounced Jehovah, or Yahweh.
In Old King James Versions Jehovah or Yahweh is included,in a few places,but now even new KJVs have taken the name out.
If you wonder if yours does, go to Psalms 83 verse 18, and see if its there. That will give you some help on how well translated your bible is. Not completly but some.
Old 02-26-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm pretty sure the version I read years ago was the original KJV of the bible. I remember it having the other names for God in it. Had no idea the KJV was still being changed as well.

How very Orwellian.
Old 02-26-05, 01:10 PM

Yeah God or Jehovah-YHWH is a very specific name, just like Barry or Jimbo, hehe
but there are many other names that he is called, IE- The Almighty, Eternal Father, Soverign Lord, Alpha and Omega(begining and End), ect.
These are not personal names, and in Hebrew they were not signfied by YHWH. AND Simply replacing Jehovah or Yahwey with God, is incorrect too. For instance

'Someone told me Jack said I had no legs.' This shows the name Jack, when they replace God for Jehovah or Yahwey this is what they are doing,

'Someone told me Man said I had no legs.' See its not very specific now.

Some may say its not important, but by reading even one scripture, the one i mentioned earlier, PS 83, 18, it is clear that to God at least it would be. hehe
Old 03-10-05, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
While I am not a big fan of the KJV, I don't see how the Ineffable Tetragramatron being translated differently or even left out in parts affects the Bible. In the instances that I have seen the KJV change verbage it generally had to do with the fact that words have changed meaning since it's writing. Originally it often talked about the "Awful deeds" of God, but the word "Awful" simply doesn't have the same meaning today as it did in the 1600s.

When you have a language that has many different meanings for the same word (and both ancient Hebrew and Koine Greek have an incredibly small number of words compared to English) you inevitably get translators trying to get the right "flavor" of the words used.

It is exactly that which gives the Young Earth Creationists their blinders insisting that "day" in Genesis must be a 24 hour day, despite the fact that the Hebrew word "yom" is used to show a 12 hour time period, a 24 hour time period, and a long period of time throughout the Old Testament.

Seeing how the accuracy can be verified (at least with the OT) quite well with the Dead Sea Scrolls, I find it amazing how well the documents have been preserved for their integrity over the millenia.
Old 03-10-05, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Free Audio Bibles
Old 03-20-05, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
My own belief is that during that time (1611) and for many centuries prior, the leaders of the church were not about God, but were about power, and it was not to their benefit to have the layman read the Bible on his own. He might just discover something. Similarly today, the Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe (according to their literature) that one should read the Bible without the guidance of The Watchtower.
Same could be said of almost every denomination or church. They all have their particular take on how to interpret the bible. And they all pretty much insist on their members adhereing to the party line.

As far as which bible to read - from a literary perspective the KJV is the clear winner.
If one is reading it solely for religious reasons, they might as well stick to whatever version their church uses.