Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

what bible to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-04, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what bible to buy?

interested in reading the bible but not sure which version to buy. i have heard of the king james version and the international version. sounds like the international version is translated from the king james version. correct me if im wrong. is one better than the other or one harder to understand than the other. thanks.
Old 12-31-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

King James' version is really THE classic version, and it's always the one quoted. So I'd say go with that. Specifically, I like the Oxford World's Classics version of it for great commentary and introduction.
Old 12-31-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually, the New International Version (NIV) isn't translated from the King James Version (KJV), but from newer Greek/Hebrew texts.

Personally, I recommend the English Standard Version (ESV). It's one of the most modern readable Bibles you can purchase, and most bookstores carry it.

If you want to do a little comparison of most of the versions that are out there, Zondervan has a decent little guide. You can also read the entire texts of several different english translations at Bible Gateway. That might give you the chance to make a decision.

I'd say that the NIV or the ESV would be your best choices. KJV is the classic english translation, but it's phrasing and grammar is so dated that it can obscure some of the meaning of the text. If you've never read the Bible before, I think the KJV might be more of a hinderance than a pleasure.
Old 01-01-05, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While we're on the topic, can anyone recommend some good biblical commentary/interpretation books?
Old 01-01-05, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
King James Version - first major english version "approved" in 1611. The classic English version, but definitely reads as almost 400 years old.

American Standard Version - ASV - put together in the late 1800s - probably still the most "accurate" translation, but sometimes ponderous.

New International Version - NIV - strives to be a combination of the ASV (accuracy) and the KJV (poetic and awesome) - fails at both, but probably still one of the best to read for newcomers.

There are TONS of translations - I'd recommend the NIV for someone just getting into it. Also, if you want to compare versions try the software program "e-sword" - a free bible software program that has TONS of translations (many in foreign languages) to compare to each other.

Last edited by Seeker; 01-01-05 at 12:45 AM.
Old 01-01-05, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Free Bibles in Motel rooms..........

No really, go Niv....or get one of the duel Text Bibles where it has 2 columns side by side with both versions
Old 01-01-05, 02:41 AM

i don't get it though. aren't all bible versions the same? there is only one bible right so i don't get these diff. bibles w/ different translations. king james bible looks like a hard read, and the international version looks easier to read. do they edit stuff out though in different versions or just make things easier to understand? i want the version that is easier to understand but doesn't leave anything out.
Old 01-01-05, 04:56 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by bhome83
i don't get it though. aren't all bible versions the same? there is only one bible right so i don't get these diff. bibles w/ different translations.
The key is in that word "translation".

Different scholars have varying degrees of linguistic aptitude and this'll show up when they are working on putting a bunch of old scrolls into English (or whatever language).
Old 01-01-05, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Originally Posted by bhome83
i don't get it though. aren't all bible versions the same? there is only one bible right so i don't get these diff. bibles w/ different translations. king james bible looks like a hard read, and the international version looks easier to read. do they edit stuff out though in different versions or just make things easier to understand? i want the version that is easier to understand but doesn't leave anything out.
No translation necessarily "leaves anything out."

It's not possible to translate one language into another directly... each has its own nuances and quirks that don't necessarily adapt to other languages easily.

The differnece between KJV Bibles and other, more modern translations, lies more in the english than anything else. The KJV tends to be written in more... say Shakesperean language... than modern translations which use more common vernacular.
Old 01-01-05, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A lot of time was taken when writing the KJ version to make it stylistic, and as others have said, it is the "classic" version. It really comes down to what you prefer to read.
Old 01-01-05, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I ask this question awhile back. Most said the NIV was the one to go with. I went with the KJV just because someone gave it to me for free. I have a list of reasons they gave for the NIV but not with me. I'll post them if I find them.

Probably doesn't matter much for you, if it did you would already have the correct version to read.
Old 01-01-05, 02:26 PM
Mod Emeritus

This earlier thread may be of some interest: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187308
Old 01-01-05, 03:18 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I have both the King James and English Standard Version. The ESV is much easier to read, however the King James is the definitive Bible and is a must-own for anyone wishing to read/follow/live by the Bible.
Old 01-01-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I have both the King James and English Standard Version. The ESV is much easier to read, however the King James is the definitive Bible and is a must-own for anyone wishing to read/follow/live by the Bible.
the definitive version can only be read if you read Greek and Hebrew.....

its the diffrence between Thou and you. For God So Because God....

Its all in there, KJV bibles can be had for a buck at any dollar store....buy the NIV and a cheap KJV you'll see the diffrence soon.

On another note James Earl Jones reads the bible is a good listen....

and the Matthew film is word for word text from the NIV no additions or subtracting....worth a watch.
Old 01-01-05, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson
The KJ is a must own for anyone more concerned with tradition and poetic sounding scripture, than a true translation. Personally, I don't own one because I think they are pretty worthless. Our language has changed to much to read the KJV and get as much value out of it. Catholics generally stick to it, but again, that probably has more to do with tradition.

Here is a graphic that shows you the different versions and how they compare to being literal vs. more readable. I generally read an NIV for most day to day stuff, but prefer the NASB for study.

Old 01-01-05, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Your graph there shows a "Message" on the far right. I seem to recall seeing a fairly recent translation in a store recently that was very modern styled. And it seems that it was called "The Message". Any experience with that? I've never been very religious, but I want to get into the Bible but the KJV justs grinds my interest to a halt.
Old 01-01-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Grrr, it's so frustrating with all these damned versions, that I'd be somewhat inclined to learn Greek/Hebrew just to circumvent the translations

Anyhow, like I asked before, does anyone know any good 'guides' to reading/interpreting the bible?
Old 01-02-05, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have the NIV Study Bible from Zondervan. It's not exactly a guide, but it is pretty good
Old 01-02-05, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Your graph there shows a "Message" on the far right. I seem to recall seeing a fairly recent translation in a store recently that was very modern styled. And it seems that it was called "The Message". Any experience with that? I've never been very religious, but I want to get into the Bible but the KJV justs grinds my interest to a halt.
I think that is the same thing. Almost all people I've talked to think The Message sucks. It takes way too much liberty in changing the words to try to get a modern message out there.
Old 01-02-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Venusian
I have the NIV Study Bible from Zondervan. It's not exactly a guide, but it is pretty good
I tend to agree that using either the NIV or the Living Bible for personal reading, studying, insight is the way to go, but as far as taking a bible with you to study groups or to follow along during a given church sermon, you should have a KJV.....most pastors quote from KJV text so it's easier to follow along. I'm sure there are scads of exceptions to this rule of thumb; this is only a conclusion I've come to after years of listening to different ministers on the pulpit.

As inexpensive as bibles are, I'd pick up a paperback NIV or Living Bible for home use and see how you like the way it reads.
Old 01-02-05, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the translation used depends a lot on the Church. I went to a Church that only did KJV. The Church I go to now predominantly uses NIV, but sometimes New American Standard
Old 01-02-05, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

btw, here is a free KJV: http://www.mormon.org/holybible
Old 01-03-05, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron
the definitive version can only be read if you read Greek and Hebrew.....
Yes, I agree. A couple years back, I listened to some audio tapes that were translated from the original Hebrew text. It was very interesting...
Old 01-03-05, 08:54 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Venusian
btw, here is a free KJV: http://www.mormon.org/holybible
Bear in mind that this is delivered by missionaries.
Old 01-03-05, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
The KJ is a must own for anyone more concerned with tradition and poetic sounding scripture, than a true translation. Personally, I don't own one because I think they are pretty worthless. Our language has changed to much to read the KJV and get as much value out of it. Catholics generally stick to it, but again, that probably has more to do with tradition.

Here is a graphic that shows you the different versions and how they compare to being literal vs. more readable. I generally read an NIV for most day to day stuff, but prefer the NASB for study.

I said what I did because the KJV (and the NASB) are the most common literal version available today (your graph pretty much tells the same story). Is it the most readable? Heck no. But I like poetry.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.