Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

A song of ice and fire [potential spoilers if watching tv show or partway thru books]

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

A song of ice and fire [potential spoilers if watching tv show or partway thru books]

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-13, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: A song of ice and fire [potential spoilers if watching tv show or partway thru books]

Things may have meandered a lot without much happening in the last couple books but to me, it seemed that by the last third of Dance, things were finally being set up to really move forward in the next book. I certainly hope for something more akin to A Storm of Swords!
Old 04-27-13, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

re: A song of ice and fire [potential spoilers if watching tv show or partway thru books]

Does anyone else thing that Jon's parents are:
Spoiler:
Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark? That maybe Robert was so pissed at Rhaegar because she wasn't kiddnapped but she had an affair with Rhaegar. That would explain why Robert started the rebellion, and Ned didn't. It would also explain why Ned never talks about the parents, because if it is found out Jon would be killed by Robert or someone. It also would work for Martin's type of writing. A bastard who ends up being the most power and rightful heir to the throne?
Old 04-27-13, 10:08 PM

There are several people out there with that theory. Interestingly, I've been reading the TWoP forums for the TV Show, and in the unspoiled speculation thread someones mentioned they think that Lyanna and Rhaegar had an affair, though they didn't draw the conclusion that Jon could have been their child.
Old 04-28-13, 12:32 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
If he hasn't made significant progress by then end of 2014, Martin should be banned from all parties, conventions, and appearances on set until he completes the sixth book.

Or perhaps locked in a room with a slop bucket & food slots.
He needs an editor or someone else to tell him that he doesn't need to do shit like taking 2 pages to describe what's on the menu for one meal.
Old 04-28-13, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Looks like Martin is going to be writing a comic book for Avatar Press.

Yay! Something else to keep him from writing "The Winds of Winter!"
Old 04-29-13, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It is never going to happen. I really hope the show catch up to GRRM and he is forced to let them continue without the book. I love the show but after the last 2 books, I don't think he will ever regain the glory that is Storm of Swords.
Old 05-01-13, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I honestly believe that season 6 will have to be at least partially Winds of the Winter. After that epic showdown in Astapor how long can they string along audience before Daenerys finally makes it to Westeros.
Old 05-01-13, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
Does anyone else thing that Jon's parents are:
Spoiler:
Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark? That maybe Robert was so pissed at Rhaegar because she wasn't kiddnapped but she had an affair with Rhaegar. That would explain why Robert started the rebellion, and Ned didn't. It would also explain why Ned never talks about the parents, because if it is found out Jon would be killed by Robert or someone. It also would work for Martin's type of writing. A bastard who ends up being the most power and rightful heir to the throne?
Nope. You're the only one.
Old 05-01-13, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
I honestly believe that season 6 will have to be at least partially Winds of the Winter. After that epic showdown in Astapor how long can they string along audience before Daenerys finally makes it to Westeros.
I'm pretty sure Feast and Dance will be combined so the show isn't going for a huge stretch without major characters, and will be covered by two seasons. You have to admit, the final scene of season 6 with (spoiled in case people haven't read through all the books yet)
Spoiler:
Dany flying away from the fighting pits on Drogon, and perhaps later being discovered by the Dothraki
would be pretty cool!
Old 05-01-13, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bdshort
I'm pretty sure Feast and Dance will be combined so the show isn't going for a huge stretch without major characters, and will be covered by two seasons. You have to admit, the final scene of season 6 with (spoiled in case people haven't read through all the books yet)
Spoiler:
Dany flying away from the fighting pits on Drogon, and perhaps later being discovered by the Dothraki
would be pretty cool!
They already did that to some extent even with books that aren't overlapping - moving up some stuff with Jamie from book 3 to season 2 IIRC.
Old 05-04-13, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Nope. You're the only one.
Old 05-05-13, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I just finished reading AFFC. While it wasn't the great tome that was Storm, I didn't hate as many other appear to have. While I know it wouldn't really work on the show, I think it would be kind of neat if they did a flat out adaptation of Feast for season five and then actually
Spoiler:
broke the fourth wall and have Martin do the same explanation he did at the end of the book in regards to the lack of familiar characters. A bit with Tyrion showing up asking whatever happened to him would be amusing, but wouldn't really fit.
Old 06-06-13, 08:35 PM

Did anyone catch GRRM's interview on Conan? They talked very briefly about the next book. He said it's a 1500 page monster like the last book, though I don't know if that means it's going to be that long when he's finished, or he's written that many pages. Also, he said he's trying to write as fast as he can, because he's afraid that if he doesn't, the show will catch up to him.
Old 06-07-13, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

make it a million page, i dont care, i just want it to come out sooner rather than later
Old 06-07-13, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

I just want it to come out before he dies...
Old 06-08-13, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, he said he's trying to write as fast as he can, because he's afraid that if he doesn't, the show will catch up to him.
Seems he finally has some incentive. And since it doesn't look like the show will be slowing down. . .
Old 06-11-13, 08:06 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Just finished A Dance with Dragons last night. Not sure on this book. So far I think Storm was the best of the series. Too much going on in this book and many PoV chapters from characters that I didn't know much about, if anything. Also, the book ends on a pretty big cliffhanger that I'm curious to see how it plays out.
Old 06-11-13, 10:54 AM

I think a lot of people share that feeling, though I've seen several people comment that Feast and Dance were much better on re-reading. Storm is just so full of action, and there really aren't many big pivotal scenes in the newest two books. It's just people moving around and getting into place for The Winds of Winter, which I hope and expect will be more like Storm in terms of things happening.
Old 06-11-13, 11:01 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I think a lot of people share that feeling, though I've seen several people comment that Feast and Dance were much better on re-reading. Storm is just so full of action, and there really aren't many big pivotal scenes in the newest two books. It's just people moving around and getting into place for The Winds of Winter, which I hope and expect will be more like Storm in terms of things happening.
For me to list Storm as the best of the series thus far, is pretty big for me. Roughly the first half of Storm felt like a chore to read as it focused too much on Sam and the stuff at the wall and his journey. I really don't find Jon that interesting and the Wall stuff is a tad boring. I more like the political goings on, the intrigue, and the characters involved with those things (Tyrion, Arya, Cersei, Jamie, Dani to a degree). About the midway point, the book picked up and I had to force myself, at times, to put the book down to get to sleep as I read before bed.
Old 06-11-13, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it will be. I mean two major battles got pulled from ADWD so I have a feeling that the tone and pacing of the next book will be alot like ASWS.
Old 06-18-13, 07:58 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

He said it's a 1500 page monster like the last book, though I don't know if that means it's going to be that long when he's finished, or he's written that many pages.
As of last fall he only had 200 pages he considered finished.
Old 07-23-13, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.vulture.com/2013/07/comic...s-prequel.html

GRRM needs to stop getting distracted by Prequels.

Continuing to speculate on what he might write if he ever were to do a prequel, Martin said, "But I might go back earlier and write something about Aegon and his sisters, or Aegon the Unworthy with his nine mistresses. There is lots of material if I want to go back and write about Westeros." But first, of course, Martin has two more books to complete: The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring. "That's going to take awhile," he said, noting that HBO's ongoing adaptation is expediting the process. "The locomotive is coming and I'm still laying down the tracks," he joked.
Old 07-24-13, 01:37 AM
Mod Emeritus

Maybe he needs to consider engaging a team of writers to help him to fulfill his implied commitment to his readership.

Better to do that now rather than on his deathbed methinks!
Old 08-03-13, 11:11 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by EEz28
On the flip side, that anthology will have his story "THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" which is of the origins of the Dance of the Dragons. So at least we get something from the ASOIAF universe.
Now GRRM is saying on his blog that it will be an abridged version of "The Princess and the Queen" that will be in the anthology, and a full version of the story will be released later on
Old 08-03-13, 01:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
Now GRRM is saying on his blog that it will be an abridged version of "The Princess and the Queen" that will be in the anthology, and a full version of the story will be released later on
I missed that news. WTF George!?!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.