Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Has anyone read Seduction of the Innocent?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-04, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone read Seduction of the Innocent by Dr. Fredric Wertham? It's the book that was written back in the 50's about the evils of comic books. I think it would be an interesting read but it's out of print and really hard to get. I have seen it on e-bay but the prices are high and there are a lot of bids. Is this book worth the time and effort to get? Is it any good?
Old 10-12-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
Although I've been curious to read it, I have never come across a copy of it.

Over at The Comics Journal website http://www.tcj.com/ they have available for download a lengthy interview with William Gaines. Pretty interesting, and ofcourse, he talks about the fallout from Wertham and SOTI at length.
Old 10-13-04, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Seduction of the Innocent is more of a historical curiosity than a good read. I tried going through it in the mid 80's and wasn't impressed. I came across it in a University Library. Many libraries have their collections searchable online. Maybe your local one does as well. Also, many offer inter-library loan services where they will get the book from another library for you.
Old 10-13-04, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://members.rogers.com/mattys807/soti_toc.html

This site looks like it has the entire book broken down by chapter. I have only had a chance to look through the first chapter.
Old 10-13-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts
My college library had a copy, and I skimmed over it about ten years ago.

Is it any good? Depends on what your expectations are. It was pretty much exactly like its reputation... silly, inaccurate, and hysterical.
Old 10-20-04, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
I found a copy of it at my university library when I was a student there years ago. Being a comic book fan and well aware of the book's history, I was very curious about it, so I read it. Yep, it was pretty silly and naive. It's more of a historical curiosity than anything. I find it interesting that enough comic book collectors are interested in the book that it is listed in comic book price guides and has quite a collectible value. I bet ol' Doc Wertham would have never imagined in his wildest dreams that the comics he demonized in his book and the very book itself would be collectors items someday.