Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Could Zelazny's 'Chronicles Of Amber' ever be movies?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-04, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never thought LOTR would ever make it to the big screen. They did. And in a big way.

Anybody read the 'Amber' chronicles by Roger Zelazny? Awsome stories.

Could they be made into movies successfully? I guess they could, but they probably won't.

Who would you want in charge if it was considered?
Old 10-07-04, 07:45 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would love to see the series turned into at least 2 movies.

I remember reading some gossip in the past that Nine Princesin Amber was going to be a movie. I think at one point the domain for it was purchased and owned by a major studio.

Not sure who I'd want to be in charge or even star in it.

I think they could really get some great effects in with the pattern walking, moving through shadows. Not to mention you have the whole Rebma setting.
Old 10-07-04, 11:25 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Vryce
Not sure who I'd want to be in charge or even star in it.
The guy who made "Sky Captain" seems quite competent!

It won't happen but I'd like to see some of these special effects heavy films to be made with more unknown actors; especially where a familiar face might interfere with the perceptions of someone who has read the books and who might prefer more of a "blank canvas".
Old 10-19-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It seems unlikely that they'd make good movies -- most great books usually don't. I'd hate to see them try, knowing that the results would almost surely be disappointing.

The key would be to have a producer and/or director who had a love for the series and a commitment to Zelazny's vision. I think that's why the LOTR films were succesful.
Old 10-20-04, 06:47 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by djmont
It seems unlikely that they'd make good movies -- most great books usually don't. I'd hate to see them try, knowing that the results would almost surely be disappointing.

The key would be to have a producer and/or director who had a love for the series and a commitment to Zelazny's vision. I think that's why the LOTR films were succesful.
But it could work. As you said, it takes the right producer and/or director.

I remember reading and hearing all kinds of Tolkein purists saying that the movies would be horrible and that a great movie could never be made from those books.
I know some will always hate the movies as they feel they don't live up to the books. But most people I've talked with and the reviews I've read said that Jackson did a really good job bringing the books to the screen.

I don't think the movie will ever really be made, but I can always hope.

I need to read all the books again, as soon as the last of the prequel trilogy comes out in paperback.
Old 10-20-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I read the book and I thought the concept was pretty cool, but I didn't like the plot development all that much. I am not sure why, it is a page turner tho. I would still like to see a movie made, at least it is more interesting than most of the movies out these days.
Old 10-22-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have to say, I prefer that a film not be made. The chances are so strong that it would be bad that it's not worth it. It's like those horrible "prequels" that are being written now... Shameful stuff.

On a related note, why do you suppose so many people almost reflexively want to see a movie made of a book they enjoy? It's almost like the book isn't good enough on its own.