Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Best novels about assassins

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-04, 09:15 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best novels about assassins

after seeing collateral and bourne supremacy (read all the bourne books) I'm strangely in the mood for some books about assassins. I guess its the one man alone which makes them compelling reading and films. along the line of day of the jackal and the above films. Anyone with some ideas?
Old 08-14-04, 12:36 PM

Hit Man and Hit List by Lawrence Block are very good reads.
Old 08-15-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought Brotherhood of the Rose by Morrell was cool [and should've been made into a movie].
Old 08-15-04, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by evitagen
I thought Brotherhood of the Rose by Morrell was cool [and should've been made into a movie].
I think they did (mebbe)...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096985/maindetails
Old 08-15-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here are some suggestions for hit man books, all terrific reads:

Lawrence Block -- Hit Man
Thomas Perry -- The Butcher's Boy
Barry Eisler -- Rain Fall
Trevanian -- The Eiger Sanction

I'm sure I could come up with more, if you need 'em, but those are some excellent ones.
Old 08-27-04, 08:17 AM

Based on this thread, in the past week I've read Rain Fall, Hard Rain, and Hit List

I liked all three, particularly the Japanese flavor of the Rain books. Gonna start one by Perry next.

Last edited by Joem; 09-08-04 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-08-04, 09:46 AM

Ok, just finished Brotherhood of the Rose. Outstanding book....was the movie version any good (saw the link up there to the imdb site, went to it, and watched the trailer)?
Old 09-08-04, 06:50 PM

The Day of the Jackal is a good one.
Old 09-09-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
The Assassini by Thomas Gifford. It's a religious conspiracy assassin thriller.
Old 09-09-04, 02:10 PM

A couple of books from Daniel Silva are quite good.
Old 09-09-04, 07:42 PM

I'll have to try that Assassini one next, thanks RevLiver.

I've looked at a few Silva books, but always end up not getting them for some reason...any one to start with?
Old 09-12-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't believe no one mentioned Stephen Hunter. Bob "The Nailer" Swagger is the best assassin out there. His father Earl ain't bad either.

His books should be read in order for full effect, since each book is tied to the last.

Start with Dirty White Boys.
Old 09-13-04, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by tdirgins
I can't believe no one mentioned Stephen Hunter. Bob "The Nailer" Swagger is the best assassin out there. His father Earl ain't bad either.

His books should be read in order for full effect, since each book is tied to the last.

Excellent! I will add him to my list for next time I go to the library.
Old 09-14-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by tdirgins

Awesome, awesome books.

Old 09-14-04, 09:18 PM

Ok, picked up Dirty White Boys tonight....the library didn't have The Assassini in, so no luck there.

I'll start DWB soon, but to be honest after reading the back of it I'm only mildly interested...but if 2 people here are recommending it, and it has to do with assassins, I'm gonna give it a go.
Old 09-15-04, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
I just hope you're not reading these to learn some new techniques.
Old 09-15-04, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by RevLiver
I just hope you're not reading these to learn some new techniques.
Shhhh..........
Old 09-16-04, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Joem
Ok, picked up Dirty White Boys tonight....the library didn't have The Assassini in, so no luck there.

I'll start DWB soon, but to be honest after reading the back of it I'm only mildly interested...but if 2 people here are recommending it, and it has to do with assassins, I'm gonna give it a go.
Actually, "Dirty White Boys" really doesn't have anything to do with assassins, and is only indirectly part of the Bob Lee Swagger series of books by Stephen Hunter. Also if you want to get nit-picky, Bob Lee is a ex-marine? sniper therefore perhaps not an assassin - at least in the "hit-man" sense of the word - which seems to be your chief interest.

That being said, "Dirty White Boys" is an excellent, excellent book. Along with 2 of the Bob Lee Swagger books it forms a sort of trilogy with the title "Black Light" being a capstone to events in both "Dirty White Boys" and "Point of Impact".

If you want the Bob Lee books start with "Point of Impact", then although it doesn't feature Bob Lee read "Dirty White Boys", followed by the Bob Lee book "Black Light". Actually since you are reading "Dirty White Boys" go ahead and finish it and then if you want go on to "Point of Impact" since it doesn't really matter which is read first as long as you read "Black Light" third. All 3 titles are given the highest recommendation by me.

If you make it through all that go on to "Time to Hunt" which is another Bob Lee title. It also has more of the cat-and-mouse sniper/assassin suspense/action you might be looking for.

Still interested, try the Earl Swagger (Bob Lee's dad) titles: "Hot Springs", "Pale Horse Coming", and "Havana".
Old 09-16-04, 06:53 PM

I'm maybe 100 pages into DWB
Spoiler:
He just went back to the old man's house where he got shot up and the old man told him about the lion pictures
and I will admit it's better than I thought it would be by a large margin. Hopefully it will only continue to increase in how much I like it, and I'll try those other books after I finish this one.
Old 09-18-04, 05:52 PM

Thanks Flixtime, as a coincidence I had just started on my Hunter collection with Point of Impact, which I will finish this weekend. I would have went to Black Light next, but will trust your experience and read Dirty White Boys instead. Glad for the heads up, because I hate to read series stuff out of order!
Old 09-30-04, 08:10 PM

Just updating this a bit....finished Dirty White Boys. It was good, but it didn't interest me enough to go read the Swagger stuff.

So I tried "The Matarese Circle" by Ludlum. Very good book, and if assassins are your thing, you'll probably get a good kick out of this book!

I'm still waiting on the library to have the Assassini or The Eiger Sanction in so I can read them.

Any other Ludlum books (besides Bourne obviously) hit the assassin theme like the Matarese one does?
Old 10-01-04, 12:33 PM

Location: The Fair City of Detroit, ok, The Fair Suburbs of Detroit
Not really assassin stuff, but I stronlgy recomend the novels by Matthew Reilly.

Ice Station
Temple
Area 7
Scarecrow

They are action books from start to finish. Kinda like Tom Clancy on speed. They are great. Ice Station - Area 7 - Scarecrow need to be read in order, but you can read Temple whenever.
Old 10-01-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Another vote for Hunter's Point of Impact...

DWB was ok, not a great read, but Point of Impact is one of the greatest fiction books I've ever read...
Old 10-01-04, 08:15 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Robin Hobb's "Farseer Trilogy":

Assassin's Apprentice
Royal Assassin
Assassin's Quest
Old 10-01-04, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by JEStinson3
Not really assassin stuff, but I stronlgy recomend the novels by Matthew Reilly.

Ice Station
Temple
Area 7
Scarecrow

They are action books from start to finish. Kinda like Tom Clancy on speed. They are great. Ice Station - Area 7 - Scarecrow need to be read in order, but you can read Temple whenever.
When you say "like Tom Clancy"....do you mean with respect to action quotient or writing style? I can't stand to read Clancy, he drives me up a wall....but if you filter it out for the action, he's pretty awesome.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.