Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The Official Dark Tower Discussion & Questions Thread [SPOILERS!]

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-04, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think eventually he will escape it. If he somehow in the back of his mind remembered to grab the horn this time, what makes you think he wouldn't do something else differently?
The drawing of the three doesn't really HAVE to be Susannah, Eddie, and Jake. There was nothing that made them each exactly who he needs. Susannah's family had money that helped make the Tet Corp. but anyone could have done that. As far as The Chap, it was Rolands sperm and Mia's egg that made him, Susannah was just an incubator. Any woman could have filled that spot. I just don't think there was anything that suggested that it HAS to be those three. Roland would have felt close to any three people that went thru the whole adventure with him.
I guess this is all just both of our opinions, though. King is the only one who can answer these questions, since it all came out of his head.

Last edited by RaraFemina; 10-30-04 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-31-04, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
I like to believe that King place the poem at the end of the novel is the END of Roland's loop. If you recall, the horn plays an important part when Roland finds himself back in the desert. He didn't have it before and now, with it, he must blow it at the Tower to end his loop. In the final line of the poem he does this and, IMO, enters the clearing at the end of the path.
Old 10-31-04, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ViewAskewbian
I like to believe that King place the poem at the end of the novel is the END of Roland's loop. If you recall, the horn plays an important part when Roland finds himself back in the desert. He didn't have it before and now, with it, he must blow it at the Tower to end his loop. In the final line of the poem he does this and, IMO, enters the clearing at the end of the path.
Yes...I totally agree. It was the small change of the horn that made all the difference in his quest.
Old 11-01-04, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will have to re-read the poem. But let me get this straight. He blows the horn and then dies? This is the reward he will get for reaching the top of the tower 20 times? Some reward.

I still say that King has a real hatred for this character.

And by the way, I just noticed your location Rara. Are you in the USAF? I was stationed at MacDill from 1996-1999 as part of MarCent. Was my last duty station.
Old 11-01-04, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hubby is in the Air Force, not me. Did you hate it here, too? LOL I can't wait to get the hell out of here in April.
Old 11-01-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RaraFemina
Hubby is in the Air Force, not me. Did you hate it here, too? LOL I can't wait to get the hell out of here in April.
Wife loved Florida. We lived up Dale Mabry at a Carlton Arms complex in Lutz. She is Japanese and liked the climate. I didn't like the humidity all of the time. I like 29Palms Ca better. Dry heat, mmmmm.

Think I will move to the southwest one day.
Old 11-01-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm moving to Illinois in April (family lives there) since my hubby will be in Korea for a year, then hopefully back to California. I loved it there!

Sorry to hijack the DT thread....shutting up now
Old 11-14-04, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts
I finished the Dark Tower some time ago and was willing to overlook the gratuitous references to King and really liked the ending of the book. I just re-read the revised Gunslinger and really liked that, borders on Genius, IMHO. If you haven' read the revised Gunslinger since finishing the last book I highly recommend it, at least the first and last portions. For comparisons sake I also read the original gun slinger and there is enough in the last chapter to warrant the ending of the series, but the revised version does it one better.

One very nice touch w/o giving too much away i hope is the single word "resumption" that opens the revised gunslinger.
Old 11-17-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by jpcamb

One very nice touch w/o giving too much away i hope is the single word "resumption" that opens the revised gunslinger.
That's really cool. I've gotta pick up the updated Gunslinger.
Old 11-19-04, 03:18 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I finished DT7 earlier this week and am still reflecting on it. It's quite a lot to digest and the more I think about it, the more I think the ending was the right thing to do. At first I hated the ending. It all seemed so...pointless. But after digesting it for a few days, SK was right in that it was the only ending there was.

I am going to re-read the revised Gunslinger pretty soon here to see how everything eventually came full-circle.
Old 11-21-04, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Well, I finished earlier in the week too and have had time to digest.

Count me as one of the ones that enjoyed King as a character. As for DT7, even though it weighs in at 800+ pp. it seemed rushed. A quick, tie up all the loose storys. I could have used a few hundred more, or even split it into two books.

I'm going to end spoiler tags here, because if you are reading this thread, you should have already read the book... so...

I thought Flagg/Walter went out like a whore. What a pansy. He has been such an STRONG intrigal character thoughout many books and he is just wiped out just like that? No way. As a matter of fact I thought the whole Mordred thing was lame to begin with. Way back when Suze got preggers. Terrible. I was never on board with that plotline, but I let it slide. But the whole demonchild, spider-baby thing was dumb, dumb, dumb. And in the end served no purpose other than to kill one of the ka-tet, and Flagg. Crimson King was quite a pansy as well. But I DID like how he was killed. King introduced himself - the writer to the story, why not the artist as well, since all the DT books are peppered with art.

The ending... predictible. I figured this is the way it would end back when Roland was on the beach with the lobstrosities. BUT... since the introduction of King as a character, it had me thinking it might turn into a Neo & the Architect moment at the top of the tower with King & Roland. Having him choose, starting over or dying.

Overall, I loved it. But the first 4 are such masterpieces that the final three were kind of a let down. They all had there moments, but were missing something. Heart - maybe?
Old 11-21-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Michael Corvin

Overall, I loved it. But the first 4 are such masterpieces that the final three were kind of a let down. They all had there moments, but were missing something. Heart - maybe?
I've gotta agree with this. They probably would have been better served with a few years in between each of the last three. But, overall, I'm just glad we got'em.
Old 11-25-04, 01:56 AM

Spoiler:

Finished the book weeks ago and am still disappointed with the ending and the whole rushed feel to it. Sorry, I wanted conclusion after reading so many books, not another loop started over again. THIS trip should have been his last trip to the tower.

Books 5 and 6 were very disappointing. I look at it like this: I read Books 1-4 several times each, literally. I'll never read Books 5 and 6 again, especially 6. They didn't have the magic and had I known this, I would have had no problem going right to Book 7.

Personally I feel that the only way Roland will break his loop is to reach the tower, kill the king, and not enter it. Leave it and live the remainder of his life elsewhere.
Old 11-25-04, 09:26 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Dave,

I do disagree with your thoughts on the ending. That said, I feel your take on the missing magic of books 5 and 6 was dead-on. I too read the first four installments many times over. When the final chapters of the Dark Tower ride were announced, I purchased every release with hopes of doing the same. Alas, the final three books will probably sit on my shelf collecting dust.
Old 11-28-04, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by JAA
Alas, the final three books will probably sit on my shelf collecting dust.
Yep. I can't see reading them over and over again like I did the first four.
Old 01-26-05, 12:04 PM
FM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm just now reading the book; I'm a new comer to the DT. Anyway, check out some of the articles on CNN.com today:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Musi...erson.ap/index.
html

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/26/sto....ap/index.html

Hmm. First article has a familiar city. The second has a familiar setting. 19 anyone?
Old 03-21-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I'm definitely late to the party, but it took me awhile to catch up since I started at book 1 last year. The first four books just took a lot out of me and I really needed a break between each one by reading something else for awhile. However, that is a compliment to just how great those first four books were. Book 4 will forever stand as one of my favorite Stephen King books of all time.

Unfortunately that reinforced just how lackluster the last three books were. I have finally read through the thread and I agree with many of the things said by others. I don't regret for a minute reading the entire Dark Tower series and I absolutely loved the ending of the DT7. That just seemed to fit the series perfectly and in my mind showed that Roland had probably done something slightly different every time through the loop to make things more right and that he would probably get it right on the 20th try now that he has the horn and be a better person for finally letting the tower go.

That said King putting himself in the story was a mistake. I think his accident probably ended up hurting the story in many ways. I went from being in the world of the Dark Tower through the first 4 books the same way I was along for every step of the Talisman and Black House to getting tossed completely out of the story. Instead of living the story along with the characters I was simply watching a Twilight Zone episode just waiting for the hook or the cheap twist. It probably didn't ruin the story, but it definitely cheapened the experience.

The other problem was the ends of the major characters. What a sad and pointless end most of them met. No major battle or confrontations, but rather silly and meaningless events led to characters leaving the story. Oy was the only one the remotely pulled at my heartstrings. I wish he would have just left all the stuff with Susanna out of the story. She just leaves to live with other versions of her lost friends?

The reason I think things started bothering me in the last couple of books was King putting himself in the story. The story just stopped being real to me. Danville showing up was just because King put him there and everytime they were saved was just because the the author used some silly plot convience to save them.

Yes, this happens in every story, but we suspend disbelief when we read and become part of the story. The things that happen make sense to us and we don't question why the bowling bag with the Turtle was left there in the first place. However, my ability to suspend disbelief was hurt quite a bit by the writer showing up in the story.

Okay, enough of the complaining. Overall I was very happy with the experience. I loved the way the story crossed over to other books and don't care if its a way of selling other novels. I loved the journey for the most part and even thought the true ending of 7 was excellent. Getting to find out what happened to Ted and Father Callighan was a thrill for me and eventually I was able to put Stephen King out of my mind and enjoy the tale. Yes, I wish the major players had had more spectacular ends, but in reality sometimes the greatest people go out with a whimper instead of a bang.

So overall a thumbs up, but I hope other writers learn from this and keep themselves out of their own stories.

Last edited by darkside; 03-21-05 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-31-05, 05:49 PM
Banned

yikes thats mess up!
Old 12-23-05, 08:12 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Question, when Roland does start again, are the beams that he healed still healed? or will some of them break again?
Old 01-01-06, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dark Tower question...

I believe I read somewhere that SK planned to re-edit the other early books in the Dark Tower series (as he did with the Gunslinger.) Does anyone know if this is the case or not and when they might be released if this is the plan?
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 01-02-06, 05:47 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From a snippet of an alleged interview posted to Google a while ago:
"In the next 10 years, if I'm still alive," King says he wants to rewrite the other early books in the series and reissue them in two or three massive volumes. "It's really one big book."
There is probably more online if one searches long enough.
Old 01-02-06, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks! I thought there were more definitive plans than that as he had already done the gunslinger.