Reload this Page >

looking for a book

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

looking for a book

Old 05-13-04, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for a book

Hi everyone,

For some time now I have been searching unsuccesfully for a book. I have read it in the past, but unfortunately I forgot its name and the author so you can see my problem. I was hoping that by posting the few details that I know about it would help me find it. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions - perhaps even the title of the book or the autor's name, either of them would help me find it eventually. Please post any replies here or e-mail me at [email protected]

Thank you

The book starts off in either a train station or a bus stop with the main character who has mental powers of some sort. He has just escaped from either a sanitarium or a government facility where he was held for study by the government. "They" meant to use him as a weapon and now that he's escaped they are searching for him.

This is a science fiction book, but I don't know to what extent so while this all may be happening on Earth in the USA, it might also NOT.

Thank you again in advance for all your help.
Old 05-16-04, 06:59 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So far as it goes, I can imagine that this is a fairly common plot.

The first book I can think of that fits the bill is Stephen Kings's Fire Starter wherein both father and daughter have mental powers in which a shady government agency is interested.

That said, your memory of the book focuses on a male character and, since Fire Starter is more about the girl, I doubt that is the one you are after! It might inspire others to think on the topic, however

Last edited by benedict; 05-16-04 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-16-04, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I looked Fire Starter up and although you may be completely right, I don't think this is it. The book I remember clearly started off in a train station or bus stop where the main character, whether it was man or woman, was considering his options of escape from the government agents that were converging on him. I'm pretty sure he/she was not a little girl

I wish I could give more details, but I'm afraid that's all I know: the bus stop/train station beginning, mental powers, escaped from government controlled facility where they would use his/her powers for evil, and being pursued by agents of said government.

A pox on my bad memory, but thank you very much for your help.