Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Question about Mystic River by Dennis Lehane

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-04, 04:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about Mystic River by Dennis Lehane

I have a couple of unanswered questions about Mystic River. Although I have not read the book and only seen the movie my questions could probably be answered by anyone who read the book. What was the backstory with Annabeth Markum? She seemed manipulative during the end of the movie when Sean Penn confesses to her and she tells him, "he's a king"? Was she like this during the whole book? Also what was Celeste looking for at the parade? She seemed to be searching for something. And why did Sean's wife leave him? Did nothing happen to Jimmy in the end?
Old 04-27-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read "Mystic River" very soon after it was published - a long time back - so my recollection of the specifics is hazy at best.

The part at the end of the film where Annabeth Markum gives Jimmy the "you're a king speech" felt out of place in the film. It sort of came out of the blue. Annabeth does have a somewhat more developed character in the book but not really prominently so; she is more in the background. However, you do gain a pretty solid grasp of her character so that her speech at the end of the book is more fitting than it was in the film.

The film was very faithful to the book so - as you mentioned - nothing happens to Jimmy in the end. I don't recall reading anything as of yet regarding a planned sequel to the book though it does seem highly plausible (however I wouldn't expect to see it anytime soon).

That's about all I've got for you. Maybe someone else around here has a clearer recollection of the book. Worst comes to worst, check it out. Dennis Lehane is a terrific writer and his Patrick/Angie detective series is very good (though I thought the first in the series "A Drink Before the War" was just okay). There were 5 books in the series if I recall correctly. "Shutter Island" is another of his stand-alones.
Old 04-28-04, 01:09 AM
Banned

Originally posted by flixtime

The film was very faithful to the book so - as you mentioned - nothing happens to Jimmy in the end. I don't recall reading anything as of yet regarding a planned sequel to the book though it does seem highly plausible (however I wouldn't expect to see it anytime soon).

Thanks, I liked the movie a bit of a downer though when I get a chance I'll have to read the book. A sequel would be horrible.
Old 05-16-04, 12:44 PM
Cool New Member

Have you read the book he wrote after this: Shutter Isle. Absolutely amazing. I did predict the end but it didn't stop me being blown away by the way he pulled it off.

Highly recommended!
Old 05-24-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read Shutter Island shortly after it was published. I enjoyed it more than the too dark Mystic River. You've got me beat as the ending caught me completely by surprise. Lehane did a really nice job with it. Wonder what he's working on next. It has been a while since the last one.

Welcome to the forum, Amberite!
Old 05-25-04, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Amberite
Have you read the book he wrote after this: Shutter Isle. Absolutely amazing. I did predict the end but it didn't stop me being blown away by the way he pulled it off.

Highly recommended!
I'm gonna go against the grain and say that "Shutter Island" is Lehane's worst book. I also predicted the ending. That's not neccessarily enough to ruin a book for me. (I've been able to predict the ending to all of Lehane's Kenzie/Genarro books. But the real thrill of those books for me wasn't the mystery of "whodunnit", but how are they going to figure it out.) However, the ending of "Shutter Island" to me just made the whole thing feel a bit gimmicky. It felt like a whole book that served no purpose other than to lead up to the big plot twist at the end.

It's not really a bad book. Even though I had it figured out, I still found it somewhat enjoyable at the time. It's just that I consider the book to be a major disappointment.

And speaking of disappointing, Ben Afflek has optioned the Kenzie/Genarro books. That does not bode well, in my opinion.

Last edited by Gamblor187; 05-25-04 at 12:54 AM.