Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

What Are You Reading? Part 17 [November]

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Omens is damned fun - hope you're enjoying it, Tasha.
Old 11-22-03, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Normally don't read more than one book at a time, but right now I'm reading:

1. How Would You Move Mt. Fuji? Microsoft's Cult of the Puzzle by William Poundstone

2. Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk

3. Differentiate or Die - Survival In Our Era of Killer Competition by Jack Trout (I'm a marketing major)
Old 11-23-03, 02:49 AM

The Eye of the World (Book 1 in The Wheel of Time series) by Robert Jordan

I got up to page 600 or so sometime during high school then I just put it down. I'm starting from the beginning again, earlier today I ordered books 2 and 3 used online too
Old 11-23-03, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,207 Posts
UNDERWORLD

Movie Tie-in
Old 11-23-03, 07:57 AM

Finished reading 2nd Chance early this morning (2AM). Very good book if you ask me. Now, I will stop reading and start listening to music on the train on the way to work.

Anj
Old 11-23-03, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just starting Seabiscuit and Little Alters Everywhere.

I'm still waiting on da vinci code to come back at my local library to see what all the hype is about.

So far, Seabiscuit is even paced and keeps my interest. Classic storytelling.
Old 11-24-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just finished Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code(I was so into this I finished it on 2 sittings...and I'm a slow reader). I'm about 3/4th's of the way through Patterson's Big Bad Wolf. I must say its the best Cross book to come out in sometime. It's no Kiss the Girls or Jack and Jill, but still a nice light read.
Old 11-24-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I've read the 4th and 5th entries in John Sandford's Prey Series in the last few days.....not sure what's next though.
Old 11-24-03, 02:43 PM

I stopped reading The Wheel of Time to work on the LOTR trilogy. about three weeks to read it all, I got 139 pages into FOTR on day 1
Old 11-24-03, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Cedar
Finishing off Mystic River today, and then will start the Elvis Cole books by Robert Crais. The first one will be The Monkeys Raincoat. Also hope to receive The Butchers Boy and Metzgers Dog by Thomas Perry for by birthday later this month.
The Elvis Cole books are awesome! The Cole/Pike series is my favorite of the ones I read.

I recently finished Stake by Richard Laymon (best vampire book I ever read that
Spoiler:
didn't really have a vampire
) and Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, both of which were very, very good.

Just started One for the Money by Janet Evanovich. This is my first forey into the Stephanie Plum series and I'm already enjoying the ride. My father recommended this to me and, as usual, he's spot on.

Last edited by Alien Redrum; 11-25-03 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-24-03, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
I don't consider Mystic River a mystery at all. It's more a character study of the 3 main characters. As a mystery, it horribly fails; as a character study of the relationship between the 3 main characters, it's good. Still, I was let down with the unveiling of the killer and the motive. I thought that part was tremendously lame.

Agreed 100%. Of the Lehane books I've read, Mystic River was my least favorite because of those very reasons.
Old 11-25-03, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just finished LOTR:TTT, and now starting on Easy Riders, Raging Bulls by Peter Biskind. I also picked up a copy of The Last Ride by Thomas Eidson, which is the basis for The Missing, Ron Howard's new movie. I have no intention of seeing the movie, but I still want to read the book. The story looks very good, and I love a good western--it's been a while since I've read a good one.
Old 11-25-03, 08:34 AM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally posted by PalmerJoss
I have no intention of seeing the movie, but I still want to read the book. The story looks very good, and I love a good western--it's been a while since I've read a good one.
Out of curiosity, why do you want to read the book and not see the movie? I guess I only bring this up because I love reading books and later watching the movie to compare the two.
Old 11-25-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Geofferson--to answer your question, the main reason I'm not going to see the movie is because of the director, Ron Howard. I don't want to get into a movie discussion here, but all I will say is that I really do not like Ron Howard as a filmmaker. The only movie of his that I've enjoyed is Apollo 13. That's basically it in a nutshell, I think.

I do agree with you about comparing movies to their source material, though. I try to do that as often as I can, and I hope to get around to seeing Mystic River soon to do just that.
Old 11-25-03, 03:06 PM
Cool New Member

Just finished J.G. Ballard's Crash and although its a great character study, its just not a recommendable novel.
Just started James Patterson's new The Big Bad Wolf and its great so far.
Old 11-25-03, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by Alien Redrum
The Elvis Cole books are awesome! The Cole/Pike series is my favorite of the ones I read.

I recently finished Stake by Richard Laymon (best vampire book I ever read that
Spoiler:
didn't really have a vampire
) and Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, both of which were very, very good.

Just started One for the Money by Janet Evanovich. This is my first forey into the Stephanie Plum series and I'm already enjoying the ride. My father recommended this to me and, as usual, he's spot on.
First off, where have you been? Haven't seen many posts from you in the what are you reading threads lately. Good to see you back.

I am up to LA Requiem so far in the Elvis series. I have a couple stand alones and Last Detective when it comes out in paperback early next year and I will be caught up on Crais. I'm going through about three books of his a week so far, so its safe to say I'm enjoying them.

I have read all of Evanovichs books and they are a blast. My wife started them first and she was laughing out loud to the point of being obnoxious, so I gave them a try. Nothing heavy plot wise, and Steph has to be one of the WORST bounty hunters ever, but you don't really care.
Old 11-25-03, 05:47 PM

currently, i am reading the Hannibal Lechter series of books (Thomas Harris). i have never read them before.

on the up-coming list are Dreamcatcher (King; didn't watch movie) and Busting 'Em by Ty Cobb (recently reprinted; have you seen Tommy Lee Jones in Cobb? great film!). also have not read either of those yet.

recently picked up new copies of The Hitchiker's Guide, a lovely, illustrated, hard-bound copy of the Silmarillion, and a new copy of The Picture of Dorian Gray. all worth a re-read.
Old 11-26-03, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by Cedar
First off, where have you been? Haven't seen many posts from you in the what are you reading threads lately. Good to see you back.

I am up to LA Requiem so far in the Elvis series. I have a couple stand alones and Last Detective when it comes out in paperback early next year and I will be caught up on Crais. I'm going through about three books of his a week so far, so its safe to say I'm enjoying them.

I have read all of Evanovichs books and they are a blast. My wife started them first and she was laughing out loud to the point of being obnoxious, so I gave them a try. Nothing heavy plot wise, and Steph has to be one of the WORST bounty hunters ever, but you don't really care.
Hi Cedar!

I had to drive into work for a while, so my reading was severly limited until my work schedule went back to normal. I do most of my reading on the metro, so man, I've been missing my books.

I'm on Two for the Dough now and getting a kick out of it.

It's good to be back.
Old 11-26-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Right now, I'm readying "Surely, you're joking Mr Feynman" by Richard Feynman
Old 11-28-03, 03:03 PM

Just started the paperback of Stephen King's From A Buick 8.
Old 11-28-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Dark Half.
Old 11-28-03, 09:24 PM

Just finished Timeline. What a load of crap that was. I think it would have been easier for his career if he would have developed some sort of addiction. Maybe it would have given him some vision into a good story. Nothing good since Airframe and that was a long time ago.

Getting started on Lord of the Rings before ROTK comes out.
Old 11-29-03, 10:00 AM

Prodigal Soldiers
Old 11-29-03, 07:20 PM

Almost done with another book from my favorite series, Goodnight, Irene by Jan Burke. Next up is Unbreathed Memories by Marcia Talley.