Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

"Wolves of the Calla" [best price & discussion]

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I still haven't received word from Grant whether my order for the artist edition wil be granted (pun intended ), however I just checked my cc account and my card was hit on the 4th by Grant for the order... woo hoo!
Old 11-10-03, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone have the link to order the Grant artist edition?
Old 11-10-03, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Freak, check it out... Grant Books Wolves of the Calla order page.
Old 11-11-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought that this novel just ... felt ... different than the others. I enjoyed the read, but to tell the truth, this is probably my least favorite novel in the series so far (although I may like it better after I have read it again).

I thought that some of the references to
Spoiler:
Stephen King and Harry Potter were a bit forced and corny, but I guess it fits into the overlapping universe themes. At least it explains why the HP Lumos font is used in the section titles.

I still can't wait for the rest of the story.
Old 11-11-03, 11:46 AM

Received 260 Likes on 153 Posts
I was wondering if anyone else thought that the "sneetch" was a subtle Harry Potter reference.
Old 11-11-03, 01:48 PM

FYI- if you don't want to be spoiled about a certain plot point DON'T look ahead at the pictures.
Old 11-12-03, 07:05 AM

Originally posted by Tom Banjo
I was wondering if anyone else thought that the "sneetch" was a subtle Harry Potter reference.
I had a suspicion that this was a Harry Potter reference ... until it got much less subtle.
Old 11-12-03, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by silentbob007
I had a suspicion that this was a Harry Potter reference ... until it got much less subtle.
Hrm, yeah, now that I've read the entire book, it's definately not a subtle reference.
So, what's the general consensus on the ending where
Spoiler:
they find the copy of Salem's Lot on the bookshelf? I'm undecided. It's interesting to say the least, but now my concern is that King will write himself in as an actual character now. That would be stupid.
Old 11-13-03, 01:46 PM

That's the part that worries me. I liked the end and saw it coming thanks to the title of the next book but the reference to SK put me off a little. Anyway, overall I really enjoyed Wolves of the Calla. Can't wait for the next one.
Old 11-13-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved this book, and I can't wait until the next two! A thought though...
Spoiler:

Since some people's names are connected to what they do (like Calvin Tower watches the Tower/Rose) what if Stephen King is the Crimson King? What if it is King that sits at the top of the Dark Tower? In actuality it IS Stephen King that controls the Tower, he controls 'Salems Lot, what if that is how he ends it all? It was all just a figment in a writers mind? How else would he know what Callahan was thinking when he met the vampire?

I don't know if I would be disappointed, or if it would be a genius way to end his writing career. He is the writer, he controls all, especially how the Gunslingers tale will end, and that would prove it.

I know that was far fetched, but that was the thought that popped into my head as soon as I was finished with the book.
Old 11-13-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,085 Posts
RaraFemina,

I've had pretty much the same thoughts as you.

Spoiler:
Crimson "King" would seem to be a pretty obvious thing, so obvious that it's hiding in plain sight. I also remember an interview on, I think, Amazon, where King said that he himself would be making an appearance in the series at some point.

I actually came to the conclusion that Stephen King would be in the Dark Tower after reading only the first book. I knew that whatever was in the Dark Tower had to be something pretty incredible for him to make it the central mystery of a career-spanning series. The idea came to me shortly after reading Grant Morrison's run on the "Animal Man," comic book where something very similar happens.

There should be some older threads in this forum about this subject.
Old 11-13-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Josh-da-man...
Thank God I'm not the only one. I was beginning to think I was crazy LOL
I'm just glad that this whole thread is here to discuss this book. My husband started reading the whole series over again, so it's killing me not to be able to talk to him about anything in this book!!
Old 11-14-03, 08:12 AM

That is a pretty old theory, but I hope to God that it doesn't happen that way. He'd have to do it in a damn creative way for me to not think that he'd screwed this series up with his own vanity.
Old 11-14-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$15.75 at overstock.com + shipping

New customers can get it for $10 +

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....PROD_ID=559345
Old 11-14-03, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Woot! Got my Artist's Edition in the mail today

Also just read that the trade has already gone into a fourth printing. Not too shabby.
Old 11-17-03, 07:05 AM

Let's hope that if SK puts himself into the story, he's a better actor on paper than on film ...
Old 11-17-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I for one really enjoyed the book. It wasn't as good as Wizard & Glass or The Drawing of the Three, but it was certainly as good as The Wastelands. I really cannot wait until next year when we will finally see the final 2 volumes in the series.
Old 11-21-03, 08:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
am i the only one that wants to hear more of rolands back story?
Old 11-26-03, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 438 Likes on 309 Posts
I finished the book a few days ago after finishing re-reading the others first. I've got to say I was a bit put off by the star wars/ harry potter/ SK refernces. Seems like he's stretching a bit and it felt sort of hurried or forced the way it was written which I'm not used to with Kings writing. I read an interview on amazon where king said he'd be in the tower and I agree with those that say he is tipping his hat to what may be in plain site. That said I can't wait for the next two to come out and see where the tale takes us. I just read 'salems lot and was suprised how relatively minor Callahan was to the plot. I enjoy the cross over brtween stories but hope the next book is more subtle in its play on the SK universe.

phantom_azazel: have you seen the short story on Roland from the book he released last year? I'd like more of the back story too BTW I imagine he'll slip more into the next books as he's done in the first 4...
Old 11-26-03, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is there a seperate short story concerning roland?
Old 11-26-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only short story concerning Roland(that I am aware of)is called "The Little Sisters Of Eluria", which was one of the stories in Everything's Eventual.
Old 11-26-03, 08:07 AM

"The Little Sisters of Eluria" is the only short story involving Roland that I know of, being a prequel to DT1. But it was released several years ago.
Old 11-26-03, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 438 Likes on 309 Posts
my bad I thought "The Little Sisters Of Eluria" /Everything's Eventual came out last year.

I was wondering if there were other shorts out there but I guess not...
Old 11-26-03, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is it worth reading?
Old 11-28-03, 06:08 PM

Crap, I forgot it was in Everything's Eventual, too. It was originally published in an anthology called Legends. And yes, it's a pretty good read, and connects very closely with Black House.