Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Persecution by David Limbaugh

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-03, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Persecution by David Limbaugh

Just started this and it is pretty good. I don't enjoy history much, but a lot of this has to do with school and the history of them, which I have enjoyed a great deal.

Being a lawyer, it has a lot to do with different court cases as well. I find that very interesting.

Anyone else pick it up?
Old 10-16-03, 05:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll admit that I haven't read the book, but everything I've seen about it suggests that it's yet another whining "everyone hates Christians, and the liberals are all bad" book.

People need to wake up. Criticizing a religion is not bad. Wanting the Constitutional requirement that says the government not sponsor a religion be enforced is not bad.

Christians are just upset because after decades of being allowed to run rampant over everything, they're finally being made to toe the line.

And then there's the attacking of liberals. Yes, just like Rush, he pulls out the eeeevil liberals to rail against. I don't know why these conservative alarmists all feel like every liberal is the exact same in beliefs.

And then he apparently moves on to how he and his fellow Christian conservatives are being forced to learn "homosexual propaganda."

Puh-lease.

In my further research on this book while typing out my response, I see that Limbaugh makes the same mistake that all Christian alarmists do... he tries to go to the founding fathers for support, claiming they were Christians.

Well, they weren't.

Not to mention, the founding fathers put it in an official US document that the United States and its government is not founded upon the Christian religion.

I'm sure that there will be a few points in Limbaugh's book that make sense. Unfortunately when he also fills it with the lies and misconceptions that are the hallmark of his brother, he will not reach anyone that is trying to make up their mind, he will only preach to the choir.
Old 10-16-03, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Certainly sounds like a critique from someone who didn't read it. I wonder if I should go over and give my opinion on Micheal Moore's book now
Old 10-16-03, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by kvrdave
Certainly sounds like a critique from someone who didn't read it. I wonder if I should go over and give my opinion on Micheal Moore's book now
I'd like to hear that.

I haven't read MM's book and I know I hate it.
Old 10-17-03, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't buy any book with Limbaugh on the cover unless its followed by "is a big fat idiot".

Might be a good book, but I'm just wondering where David Limbaugh came from. Never heard of him before.
Old 10-17-03, 10:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So you're insinuating that I like Moore's book because I said something negative about Limbaugh?

That certainly falls in line with the the target audience of the Limbaugh boys... anyone that speaks out against their ultra-onservative agenda all like Michael Moore, they're all evil liberals, etc.

Sorry to tell you this, but as usual, the Limbaugh boys are full of it. :-)

And while I didn't read the book, I did read exceprts from it. I read both positive and negative reviews. So I certainly feel confident in what I posted.

And apparently I was right, because you didn't counter a single thing I said.
Old 10-17-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by JestersTear
So you're insinuating that I like Moore's book because I said something negative about Limbaugh?

That certainly falls in line with the the target audience of the Limbaugh boys... anyone that speaks out against their ultra-onservative agenda all like Michael Moore, they're all evil liberals, etc.

Sorry to tell you this, but as usual, the Limbaugh boys are full of it. :-)

And while I didn't read the book, I did read exceprts from it. I read both positive and negative reviews. So I certainly feel confident in what I posted.

And apparently I was right, because you didn't counter a single thing I said.
yeah you did, and yeah you did, and yeah you did Thanks for adding to the thread.

Darkside - He is Rush's brother. Just a lawyer.

Does anyone actually respond to a thread about books they have read? This is no different than the Other forum, otherwise.
Old 10-18-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Darkside - He is Rush's brother. Just a lawyer.
Okay. I'll read it at some point just to see his views on things. I don't have to agree 100% with someone to read their book. Heck I made it all the way through 2 Coulter books. No one can be worse than her.
Old 10-19-03, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by darkside
Okay. I'll read it at some point just to see his views on things. I don't have to agree 100% with someone to read their book. Heck I made it all the way through 2 Coulter books. No one can be worse than her.
So long as you understand what she is trying to do (irritate the hell out of most people), she is amusing.

As far as David Limbaugh's book, it "feels" as though it is definately a book written by a Christian for Christians. Others will probably just argue with it.....but that is no different that most books I end up reading, I suppose
Old 10-19-03, 01:51 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<small>
Does anyone actually respond to a thread about books they have read? This is no different than the Other forum, otherwise.
</small>.... as in, closed by a mod because it became a little too much about Forum personae and the like? I agree.

Anyone (Dave?) who was interested in a mature debate, please feel free to start a new thread. Anyone on the Left or the Right wishing to continue "traditional" Other Forum politicking here please feel free to bite your tongue.

Thank you, and have a nice day!

Benedict
Moderator, Book Talk