Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Please recommend a GRE Prep Book!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please recommend a GRE Prep Book!

I'm looking for recommendations on a great book to help me study & prepare for the GRE (Graduate Record Examinations)...any out there you've used and could recommend?

General advice is also welcome
Old 10-16-03, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I've used several with varying degrees of satisfaction. Whichever book you go for, make sure it has a CD-ROM with practice tests since it's all computerized now. The two heavyweights in the field are Kaplan and ETS. Princeston Review does a good job as well. Depending on how much time and $$$ you have, I'd suggestion any one of those or a combination of the three.

Good luck!
Old 10-16-03, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
When I took the LSAT, I used Princeton Review and thought it was excellent. Not just because of test questions (actually, I got sample tests which I then never got around to for that) but because it gave me really good strategies for how to approach the test (I didn't end up going to law school, but only because I came to my senses, not because I didn't do well on the test).
Old 10-17-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the help

A friend of mine had the Kaplan one from last year with the CDROM, so I'm borrowing that...I can't imagine they are that different from year to year.
Old 10-18-03, 02:12 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the best study aid was simply the CD they give you when you sign up to take the test. The sample tests were great, and I didn't have to pay any extra money. I did use the Princeton Review book for their vocabulary list, which I found somewhat helpful.
Old 10-19-03, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depending on how the process of standardized testing affects you, you may not even need a book. The test struck me as a piece of cake and very rudimentary at best. But I also squeaked in 1 week before they were to add the writing portion, so maybe things are quite different now.