Search this Thread

Old 10-04-03, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tree-friendly books coming your way

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click...3B216&set_id=1

Harry Potter books to go green

October 03 2003 at 12:12PM

London - Author JK Rowling has promised to have the next Harry Potter book printed on environmentally friendly recycled paper, The Times reported on Friday.

Rowling, 38, was among a number of popular British authors who had pledged their support for the environment in this way, the paper said, noting that to date the Potter novels had consumed about 6,5 million trees.

New techniques pioneered in Canada allowed paper from waste such as office paperwork to be used to make books, it said.

Rowling, along with other popular authors, including Andy McNab, Philip Pullman, Ben Elton, Helen Fielding, Ian Rankin, Joanna Trollope and John O'Farrell, had signed a pledge to use "environmentally and socially responsible sources", the report said.

'Environmentally and socially responsible sources'
The Canadian edition of Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix, the most recent of the books, was printed without chopping down a single tree, saving an estimated 40 000 of them.

The Times said several publishing houses were unwittingly buying paper from two of the world's ancient forest areas - Finland and Canada - while others obtained their paper from Russia where at least half the commercial logging is estimated to be illegal.

It said that despite the high cost of developing recycled paper that is strong and white enough to be used for books, there would not necessarily be a price rise in the bookshop, as publishers were likely to recover their costs by using more basic book covers without embossed lettering or high-quality laminated paper.

And it noted that although Potter publisher Bloomsbury's print costs for the British run of the next Harry Potter book could rise by up to £140 000 (about R1,6-million) if it is printed on recycled paper, this was equivalent to just four pence per volume.

The Times said Rowling had declined to comment, but in the past had praised Bloomsbury and Raincoast, the Canadian co-publishers, for saving 40 00 trees.

'It is a good idea to respect ancient trees'
In a message to Canadian readers, she wrote: "The forest at Hogwarts is home to magical creatures like unicorns and centaurs. Because the Canadian editions are printed on ancient forest-friendly paper, the Harry Potter books are helping to save magnificent forests in the muggle world.

"It is a good idea to respect ancient trees, especially if they have a temper like the Whomping Willow."

John O'Farrell, whose debut novel The Best A Man Can Get required about 12 000 trees, told the Times he was committed to pressuring his publishers, Transworld, to switch to ancient forest-friendly paper.

"The only trees I want to get rid of are the annoying ones that leave sticky things on your car windscreen," he said. "My plea is that my books are as recyclable as my jokes." - Sapa-DPA
i never realized how many trees were needed!