Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Best book on the ED GEIN case?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-03, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best book on the ED GEIN case?

I know he was the inspiration behind Robert Bloch's Psycho, but I really want to know more about the case.

I see that there's Ed Gein Psycho! by Paul Anthony Woods and Deviant: The Shocking True Story of the Original "Psycho" by Harold Schechter. I'm sure there are more, but what would be the definitive read?

Any suggestions?
Old 08-27-03, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always thought Schecter's book was the most thorough. His book on Albert Fish was good, too (Deranged).
Old 08-27-03, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've read Deviant, and Ed Gein by the judge that presided over Ed's trial, Golmar, or Gollmar was his name I believe. Deviant is good, but I think Golmar offers a unique perspective, being so close to the case. I'd recommend both books.
Old 08-27-03, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's "Edward Gein", by Judge Robert Gollmar, by the way. Check it out at Amazon
Old 08-27-03, 09:31 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
As an online source, www.crimelibrary.com has a decent write-up on the case.
Old 08-27-03, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah, great site Groucho.

Be sure and check out the extensive Jack the Ripper file there.
Old 09-05-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm reading Deviant, and while it is a pretty good account of Ed Gein's atrocities, I'm a bit disappointed in one little respect. Ed had an older brother, name of Henry, who died early (in his forties). Both Ed and Henry were raised within the boundaries of their mother's madness, yet we do not get any glimpse of who Henry was. I know that the book's account is on Ed, but it would be interesting to know if Henry was as weird as his brother. It was said in the book that Henry rebelled against his mother's wishes by trying (unsuccessfully) to date women. When Henry died, he was still living at home while in his 40's, so I suppose he was definitely "touched," but to what extent, is the question.

Is there any history on Henry Gein?
Old 10-03-03, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ed Gein Psycho! by Paul Anthony Woods has an interesting narrative - from the point of view of Ed Gein himself! It's a little arrogant to think you know what Ed was thinking exactly at any given moment, but hey! it makes for decent reading.
Old 10-08-03, 05:34 AM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

I think the book Deviant is a great read, I have well over 50 Serial killer books(hear comes the FBI let alone over 200 TC books( yes people who come in my house look at me wierd)

If you are interested in other serial killers, check out the autobiography by Pee Wee Gaskins it is a scary read