Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Harry Potter book 6 & beyond [merged news and chat]

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by sherm42
Spoiler:
Finally, it depends on what you define as a half blood. Lily was the only one in her family to be magical. Mark could be the same way.
Spoiler:
Based on what we see in the books:
pure-blood= entire family is made up of wizards/witches (although I'm not sure how squibs fit into that or why there is an accountant Weasley)
half-blood= some muggle relation- at least a parent or a grand-parent. Harry is referred to as half-blood even though both his parents are magical.
muggle-born= non-magic parents (This would be Mark if no one else in his immediate family is magical)

blood status according to the hp lexicon: http://www.hp-lexicon.org/wizworld/b...tus-names.html

I'd imagine that a lot of people would be half-blood since it seems tough to be pure-blood. It wouldn't surprise me if it's someone new or someone that people haven't really noticed.
Old 06-29-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Spoiler:
Yeah, Mark Evans was the only possibility I could come up with. I really hope he's of some significance (or at least involved the last two books in some way). It is way too much of a coincidence that he shares the last name.
Old 06-29-04, 03:48 PM

Spoiler:
Actually, you're missing out on a rather large character (pun intended) who is a half-blood--Hagrid. After all, only one of Hagrid's parents is a giant and Rowling has said that Book 2 was originally going to be called "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince." Couple that with the fact that she has said that there are clues for Book 6 and 7 in CoS (i.e. the exposition of Hagrid's expulsion from Hogwarts), it all adds up.
Old 06-29-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spoiler:
I suppose I was thinking of Hagrid as half-breed instead of half-blood, but there really isn't any reason why he can't be considered both if the JKR's definition of half-blood includes have any non-wizard/witch parents or grandparents. But if it's just part muggle parentage then Hagrid probably doesn't fit.
Old 06-30-04, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
Ugh I really hope it isn't Hagrid. I seriously got annoyed with Hagrid in the fifth book. More Hagrid would be horrible, in my opinion. I'm hoping Hagrid bites it in book six, or at the very least stops teaching. Grawp has to have some other purpose though, so it wouldn't surprise me if it is indeed Hagrid.
Old 06-30-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow great title for book 6! Also some great discussion going on in here...

Spoiler:
Great discussion about Hagrid. Maybe he is somehow a prince of one of the giant tribes. However I'm hoping the title refers to Neville. I think something big is in store for Neville in the final books!
Old 06-30-04, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spoiler:
The problem with it being Neville is that he seems to be pure-blood. But I agree that it would be great to see him get some pay back for what happened to his parents and I really want to know what's up the gum wrappers since it seemed to mean something to him in the hospital and JKR has them all over her site.

Hagrid does seem a bit too stupid for his own good. I don't want anything bad to happen to him, but he has been making himself less likable.

I doubt the "prince" is technically a prince, it seems more like it would just be a term of respect, but who knows, either way I'm certainly looking forward to it.

this thread seems to be almost all in spoiler tags
Old 06-30-04, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't understand why the title of the book has to be in spoiler tags, its not like you aren't going to see the title before/as-you-are-buying the book.
Old 06-30-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

stop being logical

(good point)
Old 06-30-04, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't understand why there has to be spoiler tags in here either. Slap a SPOILERS tag on the title and you're good to go.
Old 06-30-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

it already says news, the title is news
I'm not sure if the guesses about it's meaning should be spoiler tagged or not- it's not like any of us know that any of the guesses/discussion will turn out to be accurate.
Old 06-30-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I started out using posilers, since you had to work through a game to see the title. If people wanted to play the game for themselves, they wouldn't want it spoiled.

Now that the title is in all the news agencies, we don't really need spoiler tags any more.
Old 07-01-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't even think the word SPOILER needs to be in the title. It says Book 6 so anyone should figure there will be info about the future book. If they don't want to know anything about book 6 or 7, stay out. If they don't have the will power to not click on the link, they deserve to have book 6 spoiled for them.
Old 07-06-04, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok....I'm not using SPOILER tags....

I don't think the HBP is Neville. He makes the comment that he's scared in book 2 when the chamber gets opened. Someone tells him he's full blood and doesn't have to worry. Both of his parents were Aurors and his grandmother and countless other relatives seem to be magical.
Old 07-06-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

JK Rowling posted on her website that the significance of Mark Evans is:

Spoiler:
Nothing. She screwed up and used a name that she shouldn't have.
Old 07-06-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn..I bet she's having a good laugh that of the 3 questions we could choose from for her to answer (46% wanted that one) and it doesn't hold much meaning.
Old 09-05-04, 10:13 AM

Saw this yesterday on Yahoo, JK on her website has revealed two sentences from book 6. I don't know what they mean but, hopefully this mean book 6 will be out this year.

Yahoo Article
Here are the 2 sentences:

Spoiler:
"He looked rather like an old lion.

"There were streaks of grey in his tawny hair and his bushy eyebrows; he had keen yellowish eyes behind a pair of wire-rimmed spectacles and a certain rangy, loping grace even though he walked with a slight limp."
Old 09-07-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by 1998Nole
Saw this yesterday on Yahoo, JK on her website has revealed two sentences from book 6. I don't know what they mean but, hopefully this mean book 6 will be out this year.
From the sentences, it kinda sounds like it has something to do with
Spoiler:
Godric Gryffindor (from the "lion" comment and all)

I doubt Book 6 would be out before late next year.
Old 09-08-04, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler:
That was my thought as well. He very well could have been an animagus too. I suspect he is the HBP. Harry pulls his sword out of the sorting hat in the chamber. The lion symbol and sword seem to lean towards this possibility.
Old 09-08-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts
Spoiler:

Could it be the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher? I assume whats her name won't be coming back this year.

X
Old 12-21-04, 05:22 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WildcatLH
I doubt Book 6 would be out before late next year.
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Book 6 Finished / Release Date Confirmed !!