Reload this Page >

Peter Bagge's Post-Hate Work

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 07-24-03, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts

I seem to recall in older comic book threads, a lot of people mentioning HATE. I was wondering if anyone has been following what Peter Bagge has been doing since then?

I sorta like the HATE ANNUALS he puts out every year, they sort of remind me of a slicker more professional 'zine. At the same time, I'm disappointed that's all the comic is. A slicker, more expensive 'zine. The comics in it are amusing, but pretty much disposible. I don't go back to re-read them the way I did with HATE. In the Buddy Bradley stories it feels like someone else is doing them even. The best analogy I can think of is when a live action sit-com is made into a Saturday morning cartoon.

The other day I picked up the first three issues of that new comic he's doing for DC, THE SWEATSHOP. Again I was really disappointed with it. Something's missing. It's not just the lack of vulgarity that you could get away with from a company like Fantagraphics. But this new strip feels transparent, so different to the characters from HATE, who dispite their cartooniness, felt like they had lives outside the comic.

I read awhile ago that he was doing a SPIDERMAN comic for Marvel. He described it as being 'Sort like Joe Matt get's super powers'. I never saw that around. Did it actually come out or did I just miss it?
Old 07-25-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
The Megalomaniacal Spider-Man (I think that was the title) came out in 2002 sometime, I thought it was pretty funny. I agree about "Sweatshop," i bought the first 3 issues and decided that was enough for me -- sadly I think it's already been cancelled! Supposedly he also has a "Hulk" comic coming out sometime this year that I'll definitely be checking out.
Old 07-26-03, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Bagge's had a tough time with his work at DC.

A few years ago, he did a book with Gilbert Hernandez on art, called Yeah! It was supposed to be sort of a millennial version of Josie and the Pussycats, or something, aimed at younger readers. It was cancelled in short order.

Sweatshop seems to have a similar fate.

I suspect he's going to have a tough time doing anything that isn't HATE related.
Old 07-26-03, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Oh, I almost forgot. He does some editorial cartoons for Reason magazine. I think there's an archive on their website.
Old 07-26-03, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Bagge's had a tough time with his work at DC.

A few years ago, he did a book with Gilbert Hernandez on art, called Yeah! It was supposed to be sort of a millennial version of Josie and the Pussycats, or something, aimed at younger readers. It was cancelled in short order.

Sweatshop seems to have a similar fate.

I suspect he's going to have a tough time doing anything that isn't HATE related.

Yeah, I remember seeing Yeah! on a comics rack a few years back. I had thought it was some sort of Spice Girls parody.

I read some interview on a Peter Bagge website I found, and Bagge was talking about how he wasn't sure if Sweatshop would survive. He said what he was worried about was that most of the comic shops that sold Hate didn't sell much in the way of superhero comics. So they wouldn't have accounts with DC and wouldn't know the comic was availible for order. I don't know about that, I mean I've never been in a comic shop that didn't carry DC superhero titles.

I hate to sound el cheapo, but what really threw me for a loop on Sweatshop was the price. It came to $5.05 (Can.) That's about the same that I was paying for a new issue of Hate towards the end, but that was crammed full of content. Plus it only came out every couple of months. I go to comic shop only once every few months, and desperate I'll buy anything that I might be halfway interested in reading. But I couldn't see who would be shelling out 5 bucks every month, for a few light comics on that lousy paper. The colors always look so faded to me.

I wish he'd go back to his plans for Hate before he ended it, which was to turn it into an anthology, sort of like Weirdo.
Old 07-27-03, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's the archive of his Reason.com cartoons:
http://reason.com/baggetoc.shtml

His HATE Annuals are awesome, by the way. For the 2000 election he wrote a hilarious piece about attempting to interview Alan Keyes. It can be read online here: http://www.suck.com/daily/2000/05/05/

Last edited by BJacks; 07-27-03 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-28-03, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,115 Likes on 1,452 Posts
I was a HUGE fan of HATE, but to be honest, anything else that Bagge has done (pre- or post-HATE) hasn't really clicked with me. I miss reading new Buddy Bradley stories on a regular basis.
Old 08-01-03, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Picked up issue #4 of Sweatshop today. I feel kinda geeky buying a comic I don't really enjoy, but it was literally that or nothing (I wish those Drawn and Quarterly artists weren't so dammned lazy).

The comic was completely disposible. I read it about two hours ago and I barely remembered what the stories were about. (Two of the artists going on a date, the boss changing the strip to make it hipper... took me about a minute to dredge that up. There was one line in there that I had good out loud laugh over though, so at least it wasn't otally worthless.

Peter Bagge does none of the art in this. Not even the pencils like he did for the latter day Hate issues. The new artists try to ape Bagge's style, but it has no where near the interesting look Bagge does. I don't know how drew the second story, but the first one was drawn by Johnny Ryan (who does Angry Youth Comix, which isn't bad). Ghod it looks terrible! Ugly, flat, amaturish.

Unfortunately, I may be picking up issue 5 next month, unless I can find something else decent looking on the shelf. I remember when I loved going to the comic store, when I could go every week and find something wonderful. Are things getting worse in comics? Or is my taste hardening?
Old 08-03-03, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've picked up most of Bagge's post-Hate efforts these last few years. Yeah! was pretty sad, but Sweatshop was REALLY sad. I picked up the first two issues and gave up. It was missing any type of "edge" that Bagge is known for.

Although I think the fact that he has apes imitating his style is part of the joke, as that's exactly what the comic book is supposed to be about.
Old 08-03-03, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The one thing he was involved with that I really like is that Spicegirls anthology. It's a huge collection of comics and articles but a bunch of cartoonists, that isn't mocking 'Girl Power' the way I expected, but actually reveling in a love for the Spicegirls. Bagge had a really good strip in there about taking his family to a Spicegirls concert.

It's funny, but I think the thing that's really killing the comics Bagge is doing for DC is that he isn't illustrating them. I was looking over issues of Hate last night, and what really drives most the jokes home is the art. I think the writing on Hate was miles better than what Peter is turning out now, but I think if someone else had been drawing Hate it would have been no where near as funny.

I guess he can get scripts out much faster than doing the art. Guy's gotta make a living so I can't really begrudge him choosing a writting career, I just wish he could contribute to the drawing more.
Old 08-03-03, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just happened to look at the back page of Sweatshop #4, and it says that issue #5 is written and drawn by Bagge. Alright, guess I will be giving this one more chance.
Old 10-07-03, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I missed Sweatshop #5, which was supposed to be writing and art by Bagge. The local comic shop only gets one issue, so I suppose some other yutz picked it up.

I grabbed issue #6 today. At first, the comic seemed to be trying to stay as all ages as possible. This issue seems to be an attempt to increase the hippness factor by being more 'mature', with trying to work in the term 'bitch' as much as possible and an abortion joke.

I got one big laugh out of it, when it showed Mel wearing a toupee. But then I realized it was a flashback and that was his real hair, so I guess that doesn't really count.