60.00%
Paperback
40.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Hardcover or paperback?

Old 12-16-02, 01:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hardcover or paperback?

What is the format of the majority of books you read? Do you wait for new book to be out for a while and then buy the paperback or do you prefer to spend the extra $ for the hardcover and read it right away?

Personally, I prefer hardcover. I have no problem paying a bit more for a hardcover (which I find much easier to read with print size and spacing).

In addition, the trick is to buy used hardcovers online (which usually equate to what a new paperback would cost) or simply pay a visit to the library.

Old 12-16-02, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i hate how paperbacks get those creases in the binding..i never fully open them when i read them...i hold them in a big V
Old 12-16-02, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I'm buying new stuff, I amlost always go with hardback. For old lit, classics, and genre fiction, I hunt down those paperbacks from the old days at the second hand stores - ain't nothin' like getting good stuff for fifty cents to a dollar.
Old 12-16-02, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I only go with hardback on a few authors. Connelly and King are two of a few.

The rest is all paperback.
Old 12-16-02, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
paperback bay bee

Giantrobo
Old 12-17-02, 01:47 AM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
I would prefer hardbacks if they were affordable (and if they took up less place, which in itself an oxymoron - a space-saving hardback) . . .

Paperbacks are not only more affordable but more portable. Sure, it may be cozy and romantic to curl up on a couch with a hardback in front of a blazing fireplace . . . but a paperback is more practical in this day and age.
Old 12-20-02, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wait for paperback so I can save some money. If I want to read hardcover, I borrow from local library. But I do buy some hardcover books if I really want to read it and it's either not available at the local library or so popular that it's always checked-out.
Old 12-20-02, 06:43 PM

I prefer paperback,
Old 12-23-02, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For the most part I like paperbacks, although, sometimes the binding on the hardbacks are really good. If it is the better binding hardback, I'll get it.
Old 12-24-02, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Paperback for me.
Old 12-26-02, 11:32 AM
Banned

Paperback
Old 12-26-02, 02:27 PM
Cool New Member

Most of mine are paperback as well, the only exception are books (or series) that I really enjoy reading, and will read over and over again. Those few I'll get in HardCover. The rest, its just not worth the extra cost.
Old 12-26-02, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't really vote, because I get both.

If it's an author I really enjoy, or someone I want to support, I buy the more expensive book (please tell me authors make a bit more off of harcovers than they do off of mass market books). Such examples would be Howard Stern's books, Mick Foley's books (I'm a wrestling geek, love the inside stuff)...etc.

However, even when I buy paperback, I prefer the "QPB" (quality paperback) over Mass Market stuff. I don't like the MM pocket size stuff...as someone already stated...crease way too easily in the spine and lose shape. At least the "large size" QPB are a bit more durable. So most of my stuff is that way.
Old 12-27-02, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I buy mostly paperbacks now -- hardbacks are (1. way too expensive (2. really heavy when you have hundreds of books and are trying to move [life lessons there] and (3. I just like the "feel" of a good paperback more. I prefer the "trade" or larger paperbacks to the smaller size, but either is good for me.
Old 12-27-02, 09:19 AM
Banned

I prefer hardbacks, but what i always end up buying the paperbacks.
Old 12-30-02, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I usually read paperbacks, but there are some authors I get the hardback right away...King, Sandford (Prey books), Patterson (Cross books), Richard Laymon (posthumous), Anne Tyler.
Old 01-08-03, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I prefer paperbacks as well. I tend to take books on the run with me in case I get a few spare minutes, and paperbacks are much easier to travel with. Also, because of their flexibility, I find that they are easier to get comfortable with when reading. And the cheaper price is also attractive.
Old 01-08-03, 08:57 AM

I do most of my reading while lying down, so I get annoyed by the weight of hardbacks. A few months ago I read all 850 pages of Don DeLillo's Underworld -- I picked up a hardback copy from a discount table for $5 -- and my hand would literally get tired.

I love books, but I'm not a collector in the traditional sense. I write all over the pages, take notes, underline favorite sentences. So my goal is to have a collection of quality books rather than quality editions (if that makes sense).
Old 01-08-03, 12:45 PM
Registered

I LOVE reading hardback books, it's the way books were designed to be. What I hate is how much more you often have to spend to get a hardback v paperback.

I do also like Trade Paperbacks, the bigger size makes it more readable and the condition of the book tends to be better than a standard paperback after a few reads.
Old 01-08-03, 04:19 PM

I travel a lot, so I prefer paperbacks when I'm flying b/c of portability. What sux is, I usually see a lot of my books in airport stores when I'm ready for a new book, so I buy the hardback. If I really want to read it, I just go ahead and buy the hardback, if I can wait, I'll get the paperback.

I used to hate the paperback creasing, but now I think it adds to the character of the book.
Old 01-11-03, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I had a huge house and a lot of extra cash, I'd go with hardback. But I don't have tons of extra cash or a huge house. Paperbacks take up a fraction of what harbacks take so that is what I go with. Also, I've been getting the New Jedi Order books series. Every few books, there is a hardback. I wait until the paperback is out since I am not up to date reading them. To put the series in order, it would look very strange with a few harbacks sticking up over a bunch of paperbacks.
Old 01-11-03, 11:14 AM
Banned

I waited almost a year (!) to get All Tomorrowís Parties by Gibson in paperback and it was still hellía expensive! Iím a big time paperback dude. For some reason, although Iím this freakish geek about the pristine condition of other formats, I can read a book thatís completely dog eared and get the same feeling from it. Iím on my fifth paperback by A.E. Van Vogt, and I gotta tell ya, Iím pushing these on my kids if I ever sire any. They do last. These are originals from the late 60í to mid 70ís and theyíre in completely passable condition.

One weakness: I have a re-re-re-re-issue of Fahrenheit 451 in hardback signed by Bradbury that I really cherish (my Step Dad was in a stage adaptation of Dandelion Wine and asked him to sign it for me. I wish I could have told him myself how much I love that story.)
Old 01-16-03, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Paperback
Old 01-16-03, 08:20 PM
Banned

Depends on the book. If it's a title I plan on keeping or that I bought for my collection (I collect antiquarian books) then it's HC all the way. If it's beach reading, something I have only a casual interest in etc. it's all about PB.
Old 01-27-03, 05:01 AM

I usually end up keeping the books I buy, so I go with hardcover. Besides, I find reading hardcovers more relaxing for some reason. I agree it costs a lot more, but I've found I can resell books I don't keep for decent prices, so it's not a total loss.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.