Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Roger Ebert's "The Great Movies"

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-02, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roger Ebert's "The Great Movies"

Has anyone read this? Good? Bad? Any opinions will be appreciated, thanks.
Old 03-09-02, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I got it and have read about half of it. It's really pretty good -- if you want to take the "Ph.D." course in film history it's a great place to start. I like how he doesn't say "these are the 100 greatest films" but that they are simply 100 great films. You've got a pretty good selection, leaning slightly toward older and foreign movies but still including stuff like "Pulp Fiction" and "Star Wars." But then you'll also see Buñuel, Traffault and many folks I admit I've never heard of. The essays I think are better than his regular reviews, a little more passionate and informative -- he's not trying to convince you to spend or not spend $8 on a night out here, but talking about cornerstones of film legend. I've only seen about 35 of the 100 movies listed and consider myself fairly well-versed, so it'll definitely give you endless movies to consider renting/buying. Definitely one of his best books.
Old 03-09-02, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for all the info Sierra.
Old 03-10-02, 12:32 AM

Has anyone read this? Good? Bad? Any opinions will be appreciated, thanks
It's yet another marvelous book from Ebert. You can keep updated on the bi-weekly column, of the same name, here:

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/greatmovies

Another great book on the last century on film from Ebert is simply titled "Book of Film", I think. It can be purchased at any book retailer, I assume.

sightandsound
Old 03-11-02, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts
I've been reading the website for more than a year now. What's the difference between that and the book?
Old 03-12-02, 06:57 AM

Nothing, really. The book has a great foreward, written by Ebert especially for the book.

And basically, out of the 140 some films so far added to The Great Movies, Ebert selected 100 of them for the book. Not necessarily the first 100 on the list, just, 100 of them.

So, I think it's a cool thing to own...it's a great condensed form of the ongoing list.

And honestly, I would give it a couple of years, he'll probably do another The Great Movies book, volume II with another 100 films.
Old 10-29-02, 09:16 AM

Roger Ebert's The Great Movies

Just a little note of curiousity for any fans of Ebert's that own this book.

I was looking at the cover (great cover by the way) and on the spine I noticed that there's a 'still' picture from Touch of Evil, however, that film isn't included in the list of 100 movies.

Thought that was a bit interesting seeing as how all of the other stills on the cover/spine are from movies that are in the book.

I know, I know, I've got way too much time on my hands...

Wonder if it's a printing error or what?

s&s
Old 10-29-02, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He's been doing it as a bi-weekly column and I think he's around 150 now. He just narrowed it down to 100 for the book, and the final selection was probably made after the cover was designed.
Old 10-30-02, 08:08 AM

Online columns: http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/greatmovies/