Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

How many books do you have, and how do you store them?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

How many books do you have, and how do you store them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-05, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, this is an oldie.

My 1,500 from 2002 has grown to about 2,000 now. I still don't have them all entered in my book collector software either. I currently have about 15 titles on their way in the mail. It's become a bit of an addiction lately.
Old 02-14-05, 08:55 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I probably have between 700-1000 - never actually counted. I thought that was a lot, but not compared to the few who have posted in this thread so far...
Old 02-14-05, 09:28 AM
Cool New Member

I don't seem to have the many... just about 4 book cases full. Unfortunatly, they are all still in storage. I have no idea where to put them all since all the spare wall space in my house is already taken up by my husbands DVDs!
Old 02-14-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know how many I have... couple thousand or more, I suppose. I should try to figure it out sometime. I've become much more selective as to what I keep. I tend to get rid of things more easily than I used to. Couldn't keep up otherwise.

Since I'm a book reviewer, I get tons of books submitted to me all the time. If I didn't exercise some inventory control, I'm afraid the stacks might fight and crush me to death.
Old 02-14-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn, you all get down. Though I think I have you all beat.

I have around 200,000 books. I store them all at the local public libraries .
Old 02-14-05, 10:20 AM

here's my modest collection, minus whatever books are "out in the field" among relatives, etc.:

Old 02-15-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by littlefuzzy
Eep!! 130 books total?? I couldn't live with that amount of books... I've already read 47 books since Jan. 1st.
um. 47? you're not counting DVD inserts are you?

i want a list of these books.
Old 02-15-05, 05:30 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wasn't that February 2002? He'll have read 2000+ since then!

Old 02-15-05, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've read 20 since the beginning of the year and I put in a lot of time at it. I'm always a little skeptical when people say they read huge numbers of books in a short period of time. I tend to suspect they're "speedreading" them, which really isn't reading at all.
Old 02-15-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Originally Posted by pdinosaur

You asked for it.
Keep in mind this was January and February of 2002, and that January was my highest month since I have been keeping track (Jan. 2002-present.)

January - 40, 40 total
01st - Larry Segriff - Spacer Dreams (possibly Dec. 31st)
03rd - Christopher Stasheff - Escape Velocity
04th - Christopher Stasheff - Escape Velocity (cont.,) The Warlock In Spite Of Himself, King Kobold Revived
05th - Christopher Stasheff - King Kobold, The Warlock Unlocked
06th - Christopher Stasheff - The Warlock Enraged, The Warlock Wandering
07th - Christopher Stasheff - The Warlock Is Missing, The Warlock Heretical
08th - Christopher Stasheff - The Warlock Heretical (cont.,) The Warlock's Companion
09th - Christopher Stasheff - The Warlock Insane, The Warlock Rock, Daniel A. Brandt & J.C. Warner - Metallurgy Fundamentals (scanned), Jim Hrisoulas - The Complete Bladesmith, The Master Bladesmith (both scanned)
10th - Christopher Stasheff - Warlock and Son, A Wizard in Absentia
11th - Christopher Stasheff - A Wizard in Mind, John M. Yumoto - The Samurai Sword (scanned)
12th - Christopher Stasheff - A Wizard in Bedlam, A Wizard in War
13th - Christopher Stasheff - A Wizard in Peace, A Wizard in Chaos
14th - Christopher Stasheff - A Wizard in Midgard, A Wizard and a Warlord
15th - Christopher Stasheff - A Wizard in the Way, A Wizard in a Feud, M'Lady Witch
16th - Christopher Stasheff - Quicksilver's Knight, The Spellbound Scholar, Here Be Monsters
17th - Christopher Stasheff - A Company of Stars
18th - Christopher Stasheff - We Open on Venus, A Slight Detour
21st - No author given - Simply Quick and Easy (cookbook, scanned)
23rd - Lee Nisbet, Ph.D. - The Gun Control Debate, You Decide (edited by)
24th - Lee Nisbet, Ph.D. - The Gun Control Debate, You Decide (edited by, cont.)
25th - Lee Nisbet, Ph.D. - The Gun Control Debate, You Decide (edited by, cont.)
26th - Lee Nisbet, Ph.D. - The Gun Control Debate, You Decide (edited by, cont.)
27th - Lee Nisbet, Ph.D. - The Gun Control Debate, You Decide (edited by, cont.)
28th - Lee Nisbet, Ph.D. - The Gun Control Debate, You Decide (edited by, cont.)
30th - Lee Nisbet, Ph.D. - The Gun Control Debate, You Decide (edited by, cont.,) Jane & Michael Stern - Chili Nation (cookbook)
31st - Reiko Weston - Cooking the Japanese Way (cookbook), Masako Yamaoka - A First Book of Japanese Cooking (cookbook)

February - 13, 53 total
01st - Jim Hrisoulas - The Pattern-Welded Blade (scanned)
04th - Gary Kleck and Don B. Kates - Armed: New Perspectives on Gun Control
11th - Drew Carey - Dirty Jokes and Beer, Christopher Stasheff - Her Majesty's Wizard, The Oathbound Wizard
12th - Christopher Stasheff - The Oathbound Wizard (cont.,) The Witch Doctor
13th - Christopher Stasheff - The Secular Wizard
14th - Christopher Stasheff - My Son, The Wizard
15th - Christopher Stasheff - The Haunted Wizard
16th - Christopher Stasheff - The Crusading Wizard, Gary Kleck and Don B. Kates - Armed: New Perspectives on Gun Control (cont.)
17th - Christopher Stasheff - The Feline Wizard
19th - Julie Murphy & Sally Abney Stempinski - The Cat Who... Cookbook (scanned)
20th - Gary Kleck and Don B. Kates - Armed: New Perspectives on Gun Control (cont.)
21st - Gary Kleck and Don B. Kates - Armed: New Perspectives on Gun Control (cont.)
22nd - Gary Kleck and Don B. Kates - Armed: New Perspectives on Gun Control (cont.)
24th - Jon E. Lewis and Penny Stempel - Cult TV

I read 114 books in 2002, 79 in 2003 (along with 59 manga and 63 graphic novels,) 106 in 2004 (+ 275 manga & 100 graphic novels) and 12 so far this year. Obviously, I fluctuate between reading and other activities (DVDs, Games, WWW, etc...)
Old 02-18-05, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by pdinosaur

No, but he does count cookbooks. If that is the case, I read at least a book a day, sometimes 2. Its often the same cookbook over and over again. But I think I have read it 30 times this year.
Old 02-18-05, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
In those 53 books during January and February 2002, there were 10 books that I scanned, or were cookbooks... The Christopher Stasheff books count for a very large percentage of the books I read in those months, and those are standard sci-fi paperbacks, about 250-350 pages each.
The cookbooks were either read cover to cover, or at least every recipe was looked at, without reading all ingredients.
The Metallurgy and Blade Smithing books were fairly in-depth scans - more of a speed read than a flip through...