Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Books you would like to see made into MOVIES ?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Books you would like to see made into MOVIES ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-01, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Wormwood

Big screen movies? And I knew about the series.
No, just FOX movies.
Old 12-10-01, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
the Red Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson: Red Mars, Green Mars, and Blue Mars

Harry Turtledove's alternate WW1 and WW2 books

this trilogy by S. M. Stirling:
Island in the Sea of Time, Against the Tide of Years, and On the Oceans of Eternity
Old 12-10-01, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R.L. Stine and Christopher Pike books into movies?

I have always wondered why haven't any of their books been turned into big screen movies? Surely they are very popular authors among teens. I came across and old CP book on tape once and it said something about a movie coming soon based on one of his books. Obviously that never came to be and I wonder why. I think several of those authors books would make great movies.
Old 12-16-01, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,340 Posts
A couple notes:

I am astounded that Carr's Alienist hasn't been adapted to the screen yet. I remember thinking when I read it that I would be seeing trailers for the film within a year.

I too would like to see Egoyan have a crack at Gordimer.

Some not suggested yet:

1. The River Why, David James Duncan. I know there were private interests trying to drum up interest and financing for this a few years ago but I guess they failed. His The Brothers K might also make a good film.

2. Stephen King's The Long Walk.

3. Charles Frazier's Cold Mountain, which is on the way as it happens. The good news is that Minghella is at the helm. The bad news, Tom Cruise plays Inman. I cannot imagine him in that role.

4. Goodbye, Mickey Mouse, Len Deighton.

5. Thomas Lewis' non-fiction The Guns of Cedar Creek would make a wonderful foundation for a first-rate fictional film about this oft-overlooked Civil War battle.

Jeez, I could go on for hours...
Old 12-17-01, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ralph Bakshi revives his career with a screen adaptation of Matt Ruff's Fool on the Hill

Terry Gilliam adapts Clive Barker's childrens book The Thief of Always

dream on
Old 12-17-01, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by JustinS

2. Stephen King's The Long Walk.
This one was actually going to be made into a film at one point, I believe starring Wil Wheaton. If memory serves me correctly it fell through for lack of a compelling script.
Old 12-17-01, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Emily: The Strange

Maybe in stop action puppets by Henry Selick.
Old 12-18-01, 02:33 PM

"Handling Sin" by Michael Malone
Old 12-18-01, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Most definitely 'The Alienist' and 'Angel of Darkness' to follow.
Old 12-18-01, 06:49 PM

"Survivor" by Chuck Palahniuk. I just envisioned what the movie would look like while reading it, even though only a skillful director and good script could make it decent.

One of my favorite movies is Fight Club, and I would love to see more of Palahniuk's work on screen.
Old 12-19-01, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

oh, I know a film version has been in the works in many different incarnations (live action, cartoon, cg animation) but I'm not sure what is currently happening with Clive Barker's THE THEIF OF ALWAYS.

I really hope that gets off the ground cause that would be great...

Also, I am gonna write the film versions of Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles... Live Action flicks would be amazing...gonna have to find out who has the rights... I would kill to make this series into films...

MATT

Coming Summer 2008...The High King... A MATT film
Old 12-19-01, 03:19 PM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

Part of the reason I want to see LoTR succede is so more Fantasy movies will be made, such as

Neverwhere Neil Gailan

Golden Compass, Amber Spyglass, etc

and I would love to see Narnia come to the Big screen again
Old 12-20-01, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by mdc3000
[...] Also, I am gonna write the film versions of Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles... Live Action flicks would be amazing...gonna have to find out who has the rights... I would kill to make this series into films...

MATT
Coming Summer 2008...The High King... A MATT film
This is the series that came to my mind first, as far as dream movie projects go... I agree that the Prydain chronicles could make a superb movie series, though I'll have to reserve judgement on whether you're the best screenwriter for the job...

It's too bad that Disney turned the first two books into an inconsequential remake of Sword in the Stone... And had such flop with it... That may have made a re-sell unlikely...

Looks like there's gonna be a major studio live-action Narnia series now, partially in response to the successes of Potter and LotR... Maybe if that's a hit, the Alexander books will follow...
Old 12-21-01, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This might sound a bit lame but I would love them to make a movie of Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Gatekeeper Trilogy.
Old 12-21-01, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by flowerman
I would like to see Stephen King The Gunslinger.
The other three books are a bit trippy, so you would need to see if Gunslinger survived first.
King has said about this:"Not in my lifetime". I've always felt, though, that if someone did a demo of the first few minutes animated, and did a really outstanding job, that he could be swayed.

For whatever reason I can only see the Dark Tower series as animated.

As far as other movies go, I'd love to see Good Omens and the Hitchhiker's Guide done...but only if they were DONE RIGHT! Hitchhiker's Guide would have to be at least a three-parter.

My friends have speculated endlessly on the perfect casting for Good Omens.
Old 12-22-01, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,986 Likes on 2,036 Posts
Another vote here for "The Alienist." Superb novel. I even have a cast in mind.

Others...

"Hyperion" and "The Fall of Hyperion" by Dan Simmons. But, dear God, these movies need to be done RIGHT.

"Neuromancer" by William Gibson. Even though "Johnny Mnemonic" was, well, -- I have fait that under the proper director and creative teams, this could be an incredible movie. Hopefully, Chris Cunningham is still attached to the project. Just don't let Gibson write the script.
Old 12-22-01, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,986 Likes on 2,036 Posts
Oh, and while we're on the subject, I might as well toss a few comic series into the mix as well.

SANDMAN. I know, it's a troubled project, but if it's done right (and Warner Bros. doesn't seem to be interested in doing it "right" from what I've heard). Maybe Peter Jackson would like to try to top himself after finishing up "The Lord of the Rings."

PREACHER. The comic book itself practically IS a movie. A wonderful little tale guaranteed to offend almost everyone. Sex! Blasphemy! Cussing! Extreme violence! Cruelty to animals! Cannibalism!

WATCHMEN. Preferably a twelve-part miniseries on HBO. Hey, just pick up the graphic novel. There's your script and storyboards already done for ya.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 12-22-01 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-22-01, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Definitely agree with you on the comics. And just think of all the great publicity Preacher would get from the religious community boycotting it From that alone it would break box office records...everyone wanting to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 12-23-01, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I guess I'm on a warpath.

These are great war books!

Panzer Commander by Hans von Luck
JG 26 by Donald L. Caldwell
Torpedo Junction by Homer H. Hickam, Jr.
The Battle of Leyte Gulf by Thomas J. Cutler
The Mexican War by Otis A. Singletary
Old 12-28-01, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Rama series by Arthur C Clarke
Old 12-31-01, 09:59 PM

Hugh Hefner's Biography..The unedited version
Old 01-01-02, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by renaldow
Any of the Repairman Jack novels by F. Paul Wilson.
And I'd love to see a proper remake of F. Paul Wilson's The Keep to supercede that dreadful Michael Mann version.
Old 01-01-02, 04:51 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
I'd love to see Stardust by Neil Gaiman turned into a movie. Also, the book trilogy by Chris Claremont and George Lucas (Shadow Moon, Shadow Star, and Shadow Dawn) that takes place after Willow as a movie trilogy could be really good.
Old 01-12-02, 12:37 AM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Hmm, Battlefield Earth would be a good place to start John Travolta.

Also, I would like to see good versions (maybe well-done Anime) of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy (including Hobbit,) Little Fuzzy and other works by H. Beam Piper, the Lord D'Arcy series by Randall Garrett, Starship Troopers by Heinlein, works by Anne McCaffrey, Terry Brooks, Piers Anthony, Brian Jacques (the Redwall Series,) Terry Pratchett, E.E. "Doc" Smith, and many others.

BTW, to me, it must follow the book extremely closely, if it counts. FOTR was pretty close at times, but still skipped many parts and Starship Troopers was the complete opposite of R.A.H.s writings.
Old 01-12-02, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Starship Troopers is one of those books on my shelf that I haven't gotten to reading yet....I use it as bait to get me through the drudgery of school...."When I've finished doing all three research papers, then I can read that one" but the movie really was pretty bad

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.