Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Do many adults read Harry Potter? [Why are they considered kids books?]

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-01, 11:54 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've not read it, although I hope to make time some day! But I may see the film first!!

Apparently, at least one (less successful) author thinks that JK Rowling read her book first!

http://www.realmuggles.com/news/compare.html
http://www.realmuggles.com/interview.html

Last edited by benedict; 06-30-03 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-26-01, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am 21 and am a potter fanatic... LOVE the books, reread them all the time... i wish book 5, Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix would come out already!

MATT
Old 06-30-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why exactly are the Harry Potter books considered 'kids' books?

Why exactly are the Harry Potter books considered 'kids' books? Is it just because the main stars are kids? The writing seems mature enough and it they seem to have a good deal of mature subjects in them. People being killed and tortured isn't exactly something I'd expect in a kids book. As far as writing goes, they don't seem to be any different than many of the Star Wars or Star Trek novels I've read. I wonder if instead of the main stars being teens, they were in their 20's would HP be in with all the other adult novels?
Old 06-30-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Because the books are between 700 and 900 pages and have no pictures.

Oh, wait...
Old 06-30-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Originally posted by TeeSeeJay

Oh, wait...
hahahaa

Well, I'd say because it started out inocent enough. i.e. Orphan child deal with wicked step-parents.
Old 06-30-03, 03:02 PM
Mod Emeritus

I've several times seen comment to the effect that the more respected writers of "youth" fiction do not write down to their target audience. As a consequence it will often appeal to both adults and children alike.
Old 06-30-03, 03:19 PM

I believe the reason Harry Potter appeals to children is the world is wonderful fantasy and sounds really cool. A place I would have loved to visit as a child (aka Disneyworld)

I think adults derive more enjoyment out of the situation that Harry is in and they relate it to how they may have felt at one time (not fitting in) to his rivalry with Draco or lack of respect for authority (Snape). Pluis it's a quick read and fun.
Old 06-30-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by TeeSeeJay

Oh, wait...
Really, though, this is the same reason(s) I'm thrilled if kids actually read these books. I'm happy that children read AT ALL, much less giant picture-less tomes.
Old 06-30-03, 04:21 PM
Cool New Member

I'm 23 and up until a few months ago, I didn't want to have anything to do with Harry Potter. As a big fan of Stephen King, I saw where he recommended the Harry Potter series in his "On Writing" book. So, I tried watching The Soceror's Stone to test the waters, and I thought it was great. I ran out and bought the book and I was a fan from there.

The worst thing about being older and reading these books is that you have to go digging around in the Children's section of the bookstore. When I went to buy Prisoner of Azkaban, the cashier offered me a small box of Every-Flavor Jelly Beans. And, to my shame, I took them. I couldn't resist.
Old 06-30-03, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's pretty cool Stephen King recommended it.
Old 07-01-03, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 123 Posts
Funny, I was on the Tom Leykis radio show yesterday defending the Harry Potter books. Just the day this year old thread gets bumped....
Old 07-01-03, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy 2 year old thread Batman.
Old 07-01-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cool. I haven't responded to this. My answer is a big resounding YES! and I'm one of them. 27 and hooked on it completely.
Old 07-01-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Chrisedge
Funny, I was on the Tom Leykis radio show yesterday defending the Harry Potter books. Just the day this year old thread gets bumped....
I heard some of that show. What's his problem? It sounded like he was actually criticizing parents for falling for the hype. Like parents should refuse to allow their kids to read or something. He has no clue.

Great marketing will get people to buy one book, but not five.
Old 07-01-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hell, I'm 35 and dressed up as Ginny Weasley at the last book release party. Won a prize, too.

Here's a pic:

Old 07-01-03, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally posted by sherm42
I heard some of that show. What's his problem? It sounded like he was actually criticizing parents for falling for the hype. Like parents should refuse to allow their kids to read or something. He has no clue.

Great marketing will get people to buy one book, but not five.
I love tom, but he was just picking on it because of it's popularity. I was the caller talking about how things adults like, kids can still like at a different level. (Warner Bros Cartoons) It was fun to get yelled at by him and he even put another caller on against me. I did get to dig in, that neither of them read any of the books and you shouldn't be an "Unmarried Marrage counselor"

But I wanted him to "Blow me up"
Old 07-01-03, 05:40 PM

I usually like him too. However, it is stupid when he starts talking about how parents should be raising their kids. Given his aversion to ever having kids, I think he should steer clear of this area.
Old 07-02-03, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
my mom does, in part because she works at an elementary school and wanted to be able to know what the kids were talking about
Old 07-02-03, 07:24 PM

My wife is 23 and has read all of them.
Old 07-04-03, 01:36 AM

I will love Harry Potter for the rest of my life ..

Old 07-08-03, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 580 Likes on 399 Posts
The books are for "children of all ages".
Old 07-08-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We had the first one for a long time but I had never read it. Read it last week in one day - bought the rest. I love them - it seems to have reawakened a part of me that loves to read (hadn't read as much recently due to workload and such). Plus, my son and I regularly read the same books (he's 8) so we can discuss them - he likes it when I read what he reads. He's started Sorcerer's Stone this week.
People may disagree with me but I find her way of writing very fresh (though overall themes may be a little re-used) and straight-forward - none of the bloated exposition that many writers now-a-days seem to need to include.
Old 07-08-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2,058 Likes on 1,258 Posts
I've considered reading the Potter books.

What I would like to see in a few years is a grown up Harry with grown up powers.
Old 07-08-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by freudguy
People may disagree with me but I find her way of writing very fresh (though overall themes may be a little re-used) and straight-forward - none of the bloated exposition that many writers now-a-days seem to need to include.
Yeah- I disagree with you. (but I say this as someone who LIKES the books)

"none of the bloated exposition"? Come on- Since the 3rd one, the books have been WAY bloated. One would think Rowling is getting paid by the word. I like the books, but you could edit them down to half their present size without losing any of the story...

-jason
Old 07-08-03, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by fuzzbox
Yeah- I disagree with you. (but I say this as someone who LIKES the books)

"none of the bloated exposition"? Come on- Since the 3rd one, the books have been WAY bloated. One would think Rowling is getting paid by the word. I like the books, but you could edit them down to half their present size without losing any of the story...

-jason
You know, it's difficult to really say that until the next two books come out. I read an interview with her where she talked about how they could not find anything else to cut out of OOTP because it was all needed to setup what happens in 6 and 7.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.