Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Do many adults read Harry Potter? [Why are they considered kids books?]

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-01, 09:34 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do many adults read Harry Potter?

I am 23 years old. I am about halfway through the 1st book and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I was just wondering if many adults read these books. It was kind of embarrassing when I went to my local library and I had to go to the children's section to get to the Potter books. My girlfriend is saying to me... "Isn't that a children's book?", "Why are you reading those children books?". Help me feel better....thanks

wlj
Old 11-05-01, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Read them this past summer (I'm 20). Got through one a day, except the 4th which took two days. Loved them, and got some of my friends into them too.
Old 11-06-01, 02:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've read the first three and am half way through the 4th. I'm 38...

Writing this kind of reminds me of those Kellogg's Sugar Frosted Flakes commercials where the adults obscured in darkness admit they eat them...
Old 11-06-01, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

25 here and I read them all in rapid succession. I know people in their 30s, 40s, 50s, 70s... not sure about 60s that have read them and enjoyed them. I really do think it's a series for all ages, not just for kids.

~Scheherazade
Old 11-06-01, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
54 year old Harry Potter reader here. And I know many more adults who have read them.
Old 11-06-01, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, adults read them!

I'm 27 and I enjoy reading kids' books in general. A lot of times they're actually better-written than many adult books -- the authors know they have to pack a lot of punch into a fairly short amount of space, so a good children's book is often more polished than an adult book by an equally decent author... since the adult book can "get away with" more padding.

Apart from Harry Potter, I've been on a kick of re-reading the Three Investigators series, and I have a whole bookshelf of other kids' books waiting to be read Nothing to be embarrassed about -- a good book is a good book is a good book, no matter what the age!
Old 11-06-01, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not like the new frosted flake commericals where the people are eating away, all while Tony is out slaving away mowing the grass and other chores.

Seriously, I read a little bit of the first book as it was laying around, but just couldn't get into it.

Dave
Originally posted by DarkElf
I've read the first three and am half way through the 4th. I'm 38...

Writing this kind of reminds me of those Kellogg's Sugar Frosted Flakes commercials where the adults obscured in darkness admit they eat them...
Old 11-06-01, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I read the books aloud to my son. After he falls asleep I continue to read quietly to myself. (He keeps asking why there are two book markers.)
Old 11-07-01, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
my mom does, she works at an elementary school and the kids were always talking about them
Old 11-07-01, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by lorenzoh
I read the books aloud to my son. After he falls asleep I continue to read quietly to myself. (He keeps asking why there are two book markers.)
Old 11-07-01, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm 22 and reading them. They very enjoyable. They're easy to read, but so far, it's been keeping my attention.
Old 11-07-01, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've read all four. My wife and I bought the fourth one at the mid-night release.
Old 11-07-01, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

28 here. Read all 4 last week and absolutely loved them all.
Old 11-08-01, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

43 years old, and I've read them all. (Some more than once) I pre-ordered Goblet of Fire for my daughter (she was the first in our family to read HP's) so she got to read it first. I harassed her to finish it because I was next!!

It ended up I started reading it when she wasn't, so there were two bookmarks in it for a while! Can't wait for the movie - I get the urge to see the trailer over at www.comingsoon.net about once or twice a day.
Old 11-08-01, 12:07 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
d00d i m 2 mature 2 read harry potter, yo. i only read hardcore fantasy where there is a hot chick on the cover wearing next-to-nothing...that stuff is kewl.
Old 11-09-01, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I am 30 and have not read them, as I understand that Captain Kirk is not in them. But that's me.
Old 11-15-01, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by Dave99
Not like the new frosted flake commericals where the people are eating away, all while Tony is out slaving away mowing the grass and other chores.

Dave
I can't believe no one else thought this observation was hilarious! Poor Tony. I'd give anything for a commercial where you see Tony vigorously waxing a car while a guy stuffs his face with cereal. Then you just see Tony look up at the guy with a furious expression on his face. He throws the rag down and walks away.

Oh, and I'm 30 and read the first Harry Potter and just bought the second one. Playing a bit of catch up.
Old 11-16-01, 03:27 AM

Because of this post...I finally went out a few days ago and purchased the first book....read it...and found it enjoyable. Yet, it wasn't anything special.

I am 30 years old...and fantasy is my favorite genre of book. Like I mentioned, I enjoyed it but I have read countless other books that were equally enjoyable and well written.

If I had to compare this HP to another series...it would be The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. I have read post elsewhere that compare HP to The Lord of the Rings and that is just silly. I might get around to reading another HP book as they only take a few hours but for now I will read Black Hawk Down...which is to be released in theater soon as well.
Old 11-16-01, 12:37 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by Rox_Boseafus
If I had to compare this HP to another series...it would be The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis.
I think the Chronicles have a deeper message than the Potter books.

But the Potter books are pure fun to read with nice little messages for the kids. And they do get better and more filled out as the novels progress. I too kind of wondered what all the fuss was about after reading the first one, but they just kept getting better and better. I'm about 1/3 of the way through the 4th one and am thoroughly enjoying myself.

-David
Old 11-16-01, 04:30 PM

C.S. Lewis

Of course...I should of made the point that they are both written so that children and adults could enjoy them. BTW... I have read every book that Lewis has written, agree with his theology and love the Narnia series.
Old 11-16-01, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice to see this thread. I just started reading the first book last night and wondered myself how many other adults read Harry Potter.

Anyway, I was in NY this week visiting a friend who works at Scholastic Books (publisher of Harry Potter books). She asked me if I read the Harry Potter books. I told her no. She told me that she asks just about everyone (adults) the same question, and all the yes answers come from women.
Old 11-17-01, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Blade

You weren't suppose to crack the code
Old 11-17-01, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rox_Boseafus
Because of this post...I finally went out a few days ago and purchased the first book....read it...and found it enjoyable. Yet, it wasn't anything special.
Those are my exact feelings on the books. I read all of them on breaks at work last year, and while they were good books, they were not great books.

I found them to be very formulaic, and even repetitive to the point where it was getting boring. Still, I could see how kids would probably eat these up regardless of those reasons.
Old 11-18-01, 01:43 PM

I ordered all four books online last night.
Old 11-23-01, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 173 Likes on 123 Posts
I'm 30 and my wife is 32 and we both read and enjoy the heck out of 'em --- but even more impressive, my 65-year-old father-in-law has read them all and is now a HUGE Harry Potter fanboy!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.