Planet of the Apes, the original book

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-01, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I just finished the original book of planet of the apes, by Pierre Boulle, who also wrote Bride over the river kwai.
It is a very good book and I highly recommend it, especially for fans of both the old and new movie
Old 09-04-01, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I heard in the original book the apes had advanced technology and were not the semi-primitive apes we've seen in the movies.

In fact, I heard the cartoon is the MOST ACCURATE because the apes have planes and cars.
Old 09-04-01, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
yes, plus
Spoiler:
they also were beginning to go into space, using humans like we used chimps

basically they were at the some basic level as 1960's Earth, which is when the book was written (1963 I think)

Originally posted by Giantrobo
I heard in the original book the apes had advanced technology and were not the semi-primitive apes we've seen in the movies.

In fact, I heard the cartoon is the MOST ACCURATE because the apes have planes and cars.
Old 09-04-01, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Planet of the Apes, the original book

Originally posted by mikehunt
I just finished the original book of planet of the apes, by Pierre Boulle, who also wrote Bride over the river kwai.
It is a very good book and I highly recommend it, especially for fans of both the old and new movie
Did you know there is also a separate movie novelization? I saw it at Barnes and Noble. So they released two editions for this movie.
Old 09-04-01, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Planet of the Apes, the original book

I wonder who did the movie novelization. My copy is new and the cover has a new movie looking gorila and the new style lettering from the movie for the title, but it is the original story. I'm glad I read it, good time killer between classes

Originally posted by Alvis

Did you know there is also a separate movie novelization? I saw it at Barnes and Noble. So they released two editions for this movie.
Old 09-05-01, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Re: Re: Planet of the Apes, the original book

I wonder who did the movie novelization. My copy is new and the cover has a new movie looking gorila and the new style lettering from the movie for the title, but it is the original story. I'm glad I read it, good time killer between classes

His name is William T. Quick. I never heard of him. Here's a link to Amazon for it: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...686545-3039203
Old 09-05-01, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Having a movie tie in book is ridiculous when there's an original book to be re-released. It's bad enough when they take a good novel and put a movie star's face all over it, but to release a movie tie in book when a real book exists is unforgivable, IMHO.

I think a lot of people are doing what MH is. I tried to reserve Boulle's book at the library, and in all of the county (like 20 copies of it available for lending) I'm 36 or so on the wait list
Old 09-05-01, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't even know it was a book first, I think I first learned of it when amazon recommended it because I had ordered the box set when it first got released.
It'll be worth the wait, even if you hate waiting
Old 09-05-01, 02:08 PM
Mod Emeritus

<small>
Originally posted by renaldow Having a movie tie in book is ridiculous when there's an original book to be re-released.
</small>Total Recall was also "novelised" despite there being a perfectly serviceable short story!!
Old 09-05-01, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by renaldow
Having a movie tie in book is ridiculous when there's an original book to be re-released. It's bad enough when they take a good novel and put a movie star's face all over it, but to release a movie tie in book when a real book exists is unforgivable, IMHO.

I think a lot of people are doing what MH is. I tried to reserve Boulle's book at the library, and in all of the county (like 20 copies of it available for lending) I'm 36 or so on the wait list
Hmmm I see your point but I don't know.....

POTA 2001 isn't the same movie or book from the 60's so in a essence it IS a different deal.

So a seperate novel makes sense
Old 09-06-01, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Hmmm I see your point but I don't know.....

POTA 2001 isn't the same movie or book from the 60's so in a essence it IS a different deal.

So a seperate novel makes sense
You need to be in marketing!
Old 09-06-01, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by benedict
<small></small>Total Recall was also "novelised" despite there being a perfectly serviceable short story!!
Except "We Can Remember it for you Wholesale" was pretty different to the movie .

When you change a movie that much the original book, while having the same plot, may be saying a completely different thing. That rerelease of the book of the movie may be a completely different feel. (Think "10 Things I Hate About You", and then having to read Shakespeare to read the original text).

I would like to read the original, but I can understand many people wouldn't.
Old 09-07-01, 05:07 PM
Mod Emeritus

You are right nj: I was playing, following on from renaldow's post earlier on.
Old 09-07-01, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You need to be in marketing!

riiiight....if you were you wouldn't be wasting time here
Old 09-07-01, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I really hate is when a book has been out for a long time and then a movie is made out of it, and suddenly every copy of the book from then on has the poster on the cover!!! Grrrr
Old 09-08-01, 04:59 AM
Mod Emeritus

tor_greg what about when the novel on which a film is based but from which the film diverges cconsiderably is effectively re-titled to tie-in with the film?

When Blade Runner was released, Philip K Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was issued with the film poster graphics and its original title reduced to obscure small print!

I bet this would have confused a few readers. At least PKD's estate benefitted, I guess!
Old 09-10-01, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Planet of the Apes, the original book

I lucked out and my library must've ordered extra copies to meet the demand because I got a brand new copy checked out on Fri! Read it over the weekend, and was impressed with it.

It read like a lot of other 1st person Sci-fi from that era, the idea of stranger explaining an alien society isn't a new one. But I really liked the subtle social commentary that runs through out the book.

I don't want to post any spoilers for people hoping to read the book, but it wasn't hard to guess the 'racial identity' of the couple at the beginning of the book. I did like it's originality in storyline compared to the 2 films out there. Next time anyone complains about the ending of the Marky Mark movie I'm going to make them read the book!
Old 09-10-01, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Planet of the Apes, the original book

that surprised me too

Next time anyone complains about the ending of the Marky Mark movie I'm going to make them read the book!
Old 09-11-01, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Re: Planet of the Apes, the original book

that surprised me too
Spoilerized for people not wanting the book ending ruined for them.

Spoiler:
I took it to mean that it was a 'universal truth' that humans would/could become complacent to a point where they began to devolve enough for another evolving species to surpass them, as that seems to be what happened on Earth and Soror. I didn't buy that Prof Antelle could get to a point that he could not be brought back though, or that Nova would be able to start learning on the level and speed that she did once off of Soror. I kept waiting for there to be some kind of lobotomy scar found on the Prof to explain his state.
Old 09-11-01, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Re: Re: Planet of the Apes, the original book

Spoiler:

me too about the scar, like the guy in the heston movie

Spoilerized for people not wanting the book ending ruined for them.

Spoiler:
I took it to mean that it was a 'universal truth' that humans would/could become complacent to a point where they began to devolve enough for another evolving species to surpass them, as that seems to be what happened on Earth and Soror. I didn't buy that Prof Antelle could get to a point that he could not be brought back though, or that Nova would be able to start learning on the level and speed that she did once off of Soror. I kept waiting for there to be some kind of lobotomy scar found on the Prof to explain his state.
Old 09-11-01, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Planet of the Apes, the original book

Spoiler:

me too about the scar, like the guy in the heston movie

Spoiler:

Exactly. I kept waiting for him to be shown some sort of treatment that would've explained it when he was being shown their neurological experiments.