Reload this Page >

The Left Behind Series [merged discussion thread]

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The Left Behind Series [merged discussion thread]

Old 11-09-01, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by nemein

Personally I thought #2 was the weakest so far... that one since it was pretty much a rehash of everything that happened in the first one.
Hadn't thought about it but that is correct. I probably didn't notice because I picked up 1-4 at the same time and finished them real fast.
Old 07-09-02, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Left Behind Series? Are you scared?

I was reading an article in time magazine about this whole movement of the end of the world and stuff.

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this who pre-apocolyptic notions of "end of the world" "ultimate truths"

I'm am more sacred about the people who take this books as gospel any thoughts about this whole new movement?
Old 07-09-02, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The books should be read as fiction, because that's what they are. I don't think the authors claim it to be anything else.

However, as a Christian, I hate the whole "end of the world" mentality. It's stupid -- and even Jesus said no one knows when it will happen -- so I don't know why people spend so much time trying to predict it.
Old 07-09-02, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The books are based on the Bible, so a lot of people take it as "what could be," including myself.

You want scary apocalyptic stuff, read the book of Revelations, last book in the Bible.
Old 07-09-02, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DodgingCars
The books should be read as fiction, because that's what they are. I don't think the authors claim it to be anything else.

However, as a Christian, I hate the whole "end of the world" mentality. It's stupid -- and even Jesus said no one knows when it will happen -- so I don't know why people spend so much time trying to predict it.
Have you read any of them?

I hear they are supposed to be thrilling?(fiction of course wise) I am looking for a good adult read. It looks like a nice series and stuff. Kind of like the whole harry potter craze/tom clancy, or nelson demille.
Old 07-09-02, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by thejammy

Have you read any of them?

I hear they are supposed to be thrilling?(fiction of course wise) I am looking for a good adult read. It looks like a nice series and stuff. Kind of like the whole harry potter craze/tom clancy, or nelson demille.
I haven't, though I own 2 of them and have about 5 of the other books in the series at my house at the moment. My sister has read all but the latest one and she likes them a lot (She's not a Bible-thumper. )

I think Kvrdave has read most/all of them.
Old 07-09-02, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

nice it is good to know that most non-bible thumpers like it too.

I am christian as well, I really don't care to ponder about the end of the world, I am too busy making sure I have positive cash flow to pay off my bills.
Old 07-09-02, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk God

They are pretty good reads. I typically enjoy Stephen King, and other Horror and anything with Star Trek, just to give you an idea of my book tastes.

I don't buy thier end of the world scenario. There are a hundred different theories out there and based on what I have read I think they are a bit off base. BUT it is still good fiction, and the could very well be correct (which makes it a better read, imo). My recent studies tends to make me think the "False Prophet" in scripture refers to Mohammed and Islam, rather than an assistant to the anti-christ. But again, it really doesn't matter. I read a fair amount on it, and love the fact that it makes me study the Bible more, but I don't live my life waiting for the end to come about.

I don't believe it will happen in my life time, but I only base that assertion on the fact that it hasn't happened in the last 2,000 years, so the odds are against the next 50 years. But, technologically we are getting to where things need to be for some of scripture to be fulfilled.
Old 07-09-02, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Oh, but the way. The authors also wrote a book called "Are We Living in the Last Days" or something close. I think it was to cash in on their success (just like I would ) and to get their theory out to the masses. It is a good read if you enjoy these types of things, but it should all be taken with a grain of salt. I enjoyed it but mainly because they were not so arrogant as to give a date. They leave the possibility open that they are off base, and I think anyone that knows their Bible would do this.
Old 07-09-02, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i am a christian and am i scared, no? does it give me things to think about? absolutely. when i first started reading these i couldn't get into them. i got about halfway through the first one and quit because i thought it was boring. then about 6 months later i picked it up again and read the first 4 books in a month. i don't know that the authors are trying to do anything but get people thinking. as dodgingcars said, no one knows when Jesus will return so there is not point in trying to predict it.
Old 07-09-02, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a Christian, and the inevitable discussion of these books when company is over bores me about as much as Harry Potter, Beanie Babies, Oprah, and anything else of the like. "Oh, my mother isn't even a Christian and she absolutely is hooked!....yada yada". So I guess you could say it scares me in that way, it's hard to keep from running from the room screaming.
Old 07-09-02, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by kvrdave
My recent studies tends to make me think the "False Prophet" in scripture refers to Mohammed and Islam, rather than an assistant to the anti-christ.
Interesting. Do you have anything to back this up? I can see some parallels, especially with the fact that Islam doesn't accept Jesus as anything more than another prophet -- which would just barely fit the definition of anti-christ.

Here's something else to think about, if what you say is true. I've often speculated that the "seven days" in Genesis were on a time scale different than the one we use today. There's also some evidence to back this up, where God mentions that thousands of years to us are but a day to him. It could also be a problem with interpretation, translation, or maybe it was simplified for simple people who couldn't understand the concept of millions of years.

So, what if we are actually in the end times, but it is on the "Godly" time scale (or even a totally different one altogether) mentioned in Genesis? Thus, the seven years mentioned actually works out to be several thousand years, or even several tens or several millions of years.

...oh, and for the record, I don't worry too much about the end times. Jesus couldn't even predict when it would happen, so I'm certainly not going to try.
Old 07-11-02, 09:43 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 591 Likes on 338 Posts
I've read all the books because I'm fascinated by end times theories. I don't believe even the authors believe that they can predict the time and/or exact manner in which it may happen. They are simply presenting one fictional account of events that could very well fit the Bible's teachings about this subject.

The books aren't particularly well written, but the storyline is interesting. They are easy to read - good summer reading, IMO.
Old 07-11-02, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've read the first 8 or so, and think they are good pulp action novels. However, I think the reader also has to keep in mind that they are a 'what if' based on Revelations skewed by the two author's religious and cultural backgrounds. There are other novels that have done the same thing, and if you read a few you can be surprised by how different they all are from eachother even though they're using the same 'base material' out of the bible.

I'd suggest that anyone who takes these novels as more than fiction speak to a priest/minister they know and ask them about the Book of Revelations.
Old 07-13-02, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've read all the ones that have come out. I think they are pretty interesting and they are quite entertaining. But I'm not a Christian so I don't believe them at all.

I have studied Revelations (as well the end times theories os several other religions). I think all of it is interesting- but it doesn't worry me at all.
Old 07-13-02, 10:11 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by Betho
You want scary apocalyptic stuff, read the book of Revelations, last book in the Bible.
Naaah, silly Apocalyptic stuff. Just one of many such pieces of political fiction that circulated around the area at the time. Most likely a commentary on the Roman Empire but placed in more cryptic language in an attempt to avoid being punished. This tale is known over the others because this is that was picked by committee in the 300's AD as "official bible" while the other books weren't. Other bits and pieces of the modern "end of the world" fictions are cherry-picked from other books in the collection patched together by that committee, written at various times and various places by various people for various agendas. The composite story is much more silly than just about anything that Hollywood comes up with, and about as "Scary" as Barney and Friends. Oh, wait...
Old 07-14-02, 05:17 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On trumpet blowing etc

<small>
Originally posted by Darren Garrison
This tale is known over the others because this is that was picked by committee in the 300's AD as "official bible" while the other books weren't.
</small>For further discussion of this point see also Serious question about the Koran...
Old 07-14-02, 11:46 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by DodgingCars

I completely agree. I read the first two books as fiction, but was quickly turned off after the authors took their digs at the Catholic Church.

I recommend Father Elijah by Michael O'Brien and Pierced By A Sword by Bud MacFarlane, Jr., for other books with an apocalyptic spin on things. MacFarlane's book, as well as the other two he's published, are available for free on his website.
Old 07-14-02, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Darren Garrison

Naaah, silly Apocalyptic stuff. Just one of many such pieces of political fiction that circulated around the area at the time. Most likely a commentary on the Roman Empire but placed in more cryptic language in an attempt to avoid being punished. This tale is known over the others because this is that was picked by committee in the 300's AD as "official bible" while the other books weren't. Other bits and pieces of the modern "end of the world" fictions are cherry-picked from other books in the collection patched together by that committee, written at various times and various places by various people for various agendas. The composite story is much more silly than just about anything that Hollywood comes up with, and about as "Scary" as Barney and Friends. Oh, wait...
What you say is true. And the Book of Revelation (not Revelations) was at times rejected from the Biblical canon before finally being voted in.

http://www.mbdojo.com/~rssl/canon.html

Christian Councils

Many believe that the Council of Nicea, held in 325 A.D., determined what books should constitute the Bible. This council did not determine the canon. So far as is known, the first church council which acted upon this question was the Synod of Laodicea which met in 365. This council rejected the Apocryphal books contained in Augustine's list, but admitted Baruch and the Epistle of Jeremiah. It excluded Revelation.

Various councils, following this, adopted canonical lists. One council would admit certain books and the next council would reject them. The third council of Carthage in 397 adopted the list of Augustine which admitted the Apocryphal books and Revelation and rejected Lamentations.

The actions of none of these councils were unanimous or decisive. The list of books adopted was adopted simply by a majority vote. A large minority of every council refused to accept the list of the majority. Some advocated the admission of books that were rejected; others opposed the admission of books that were accepted. As late as the seventh century (629), at the sixth Council of Constantinople, many different canonical lists were presented for ratification.

The damaging facts that I have adduced concerning the formation of the Christian canon are admitted in a large degree by one of the most orthodox of authorities, McClintock and Strong's "Cyclopedia of Biblical and Ecclesiastical Literature."
(This entire link is worth reading.)
Old 07-16-02, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, I'm not sure how or when the theory that it is political commentary started, but I certainly don't buy it.

Read the thing, it certainly doesn't sound like a political commentary at all -- even in it's cryptic nature.

I mean, look at the prologue for instance:

The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, who testifies to everything he saw--that is, the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ. Blessed is the one who reads the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near.
or John's grettings:

John,
To the seven churches in the province of Asia:
Grace and peace to you from him who is, and who was, and who is to come, and from the seven spirits before his throne, and from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. . . .
And within the bulk of the book, the language and imagery certainly seem to deal more with spiritual things than with politics.
Old 11-26-03, 08:59 AM

Just finished off #7.....solid "pulp" fiction like someone else mentioned earlier in this thread. Is it just me or is there always a character either weeping or crying pretty about every five pages or so (not just for #7 but last few as well)?