http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=103222
Old 06-21-01, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub
Old 06-21-01, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just started to read Lord of the Rings also.
I came here for a little break.
Old 06-21-01, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Dr. Dean
I read that a few years ago, and while I don't remember the story at all, I definitely remember the 'popcorn with the urine stuff' on it. I've never been able to look at theater popcorn the same way again.

I heard there was going to be a sequel to it, anyone else hear that?
Old 06-22-01, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by renaldow
I read that a few years ago, and while I don't remember the story at all, I definitely remember the 'popcorn with the urine stuff' on it. I've never been able to look at theater popcorn the same way again.

I heard there was going to be a sequel to it, anyone else hear that?
Yes (it's on the official stephen king site) and it is going to tie into the dark tower (I really have to get my dark tower website updated and uploaded) and "low Men in Yellow Coats" from Hearts in Atlantis

It is supposed to explain what a "breaker" is and much more concerning the Tower
Old 06-22-01, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes (it's on the official stephen king site) and it is going to tie into the dark tower (I really have to get my dark tower website updated and uploaded) and "low Men in Yellow Coats" from Hearts in Atlantis

It is supposed to explain what a "breaker" is and much more concerning the Tower
I need to read the Dark Tower series then, I suppose. I read the first part when it came out and left the rest behind. I really did like LMiYC from Hearts in Atlantis, it was probably the best story in there.
Old 06-22-01, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Just finished P is for Peril the latest of Sue Grafton's Alphabet mysteries. It was okay, but definitely not her best work. I'm not expecting much more than a light mystery read from Grafton, so don't get me wrong. I just felt the two main storylines that went on in the book really didn't pay off that well in the end. Its okay if you are a fan of the series though.

Before that book a started reading the Spencer detective novels from Robert Parker and I really liked them. I read Hush Money, Hugger Mugger, and Potshot back to back and found them really enjoyable. A nice mix of characters and a lot of humor in the stories. Kind of a light hearted hard boiled detective. I recommend them to detective story fans.
Old 06-22-01, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by WildcatLH
"Obsession" by John Douglas.

I love these "True Crime" books....
I'm with you there....I'm currently in the middle of the Lizzie Borden section of Douglas' book "The Cases that Haunt Us". Great book. I caught Douglas when he spoke at Truman State University in Kirksville, Missouri, a couple years ago. Great speaker and was totally enthralled by his experiences.

Just finished "Pagan Babies" by Elmore Leonard and plan on picking up my old copy of "The Talisman" next after reading this thread and remebering how much I liked it when I first read it like 12 years ago.
Old 06-22-01, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought two books 3 days ago.

FINAL TARGET by Iris Johansen (my fav author)
&
FEARLESS JONES byWalter Mosely

I must say, Final Target is very good read, I'm already 150 pages into the book. I plan to read Fearless jones over vacation next week.
Old 06-24-01, 05:25 PM

Since I'm toying with getting a Wacom Intuos graphics tablet, I had started re-reading from my personal library the hardcover "Colored Pencil Fast Techniques" by Bet Borgeson. I have the whole set of books of which this is but one in the series of coloured pencil and coloured wax stick techniques. In my opinion, Bet Borgeson has the best set of coloured pencil drawing books out there, and I've pursued quite a few of these books both online at via major art material supply houses such as Daniel Smith. I used to draw using Prismacolour and even had a art display (two panels) up at a major fan convention before, but was toying with the idea that I might start drawing again using a Wacom. I've always wanted to create some larger scale artwork (but resorted to commissioning real artists to work on favourite topics).

COMMENT: I think that if you are viewing getting a Wacom graphics tablet or other artistic input device, it is helpful to read a coloured pencil illustration book. It gives insights onto how to use your tablet better and might sway you more or farther from getting that graphics tablet. The techniques of using an electronic graphic tablet's cordless pressure-sensitive stylus and a coloured pencil have quite a few similarities.<small>

[Edited by Startide on 06-24-01 at 03:28 PM]
Old 06-24-01, 06:07 PM

I'm currently in the middle of the Lizzie Borden section of Douglas' book "The Cases that Haunt Us". Great book. I caught Douglas when he spoke at Truman State University in Kirksville, Missouri, a couple years ago. Great speaker and was totally enthralled by his experiences.
I've read most of his books. They're excellent. The Cases That Haunt Us was/is superb. The whole book is just like his analysis of the OJ case (I think it was in Journey into Darkness). The best chapter (for me) of Cases That Haunt Us is the Jon Benet Ramsey chapter. Completely engrossing. You won't be disappointed.

If you enjoy true crime, may I recommend Vincent Bugliosi. He was the DA who prosecuted Charles Manson. The book that details that case is, I'm sure you know, Helter Skelter. But "And The Sea Will Tell" and "Till Death Do Us Part" are also excellent true crime books. As is "Die For Me" about the Leonard Lake / Charles Ng murders.

I enjoy true crime. If anyone has any other recommendations in that genre, I'd be happy to hear them.
Old 06-27-01, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

body of secrets
Old 06-29-01, 12:33 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Chopper

The story of Mark Chopper Harris, an aussie thug, who killed some folks, they made it into a movie..
Old 06-30-01, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A Clash of Kings
Old 07-02-01, 10:55 AM

just started lord of the rings, this morning, after hearing so much about it here....

Old 07-12-01, 02:10 AM

So Many Great Books

When I see a great book I can't help picking it up and reading a few pages to see if I want to read it. I end up reading 30 or so pages and I'm hooked. Unfortunately, I end up reading several books at once.

In college its possible but now that I'm working it just doesn't work, and esp. since I'm a movie addict.

Wyatt Earp: The Life Behind the Legend, Casey Tefertiller

Killing Pablo, Mark Bowden

The Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien

The Art of War, Sun Tzu

and sheesh I really want to read some Nietzsche again but my mind is not as sharp as it used to be.
Old 07-12-01, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Right now I'm reading:

IBM and the Holocaust
It's A Meaningful Life: It Just Takes Practice
and
The Millionaire Next Door

Old 07-12-01, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Walking the Bible
Choke
Old 07-17-01, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

MYSTERIOUS WAYS by Terry Davis

I beleive the book is out of print or something, because I can't find it at any online store. A friend, while on vacation, purchased the book for me. So far it's pretty good, very similar to Catcher in the Rye. The book has to have a past, it had a review on the cover from John Irving, calling it the best thing since Catcher in the Rye and also says it better than one of his books.
Old 09-04-01, 02:40 PM

Just started (yesterday) the trade edition of "Man Machine Interface, Vol 2" of Masamune Shirow's illustrated manga. Released 2001june28 by Kodansha ISBN 4-06-334441-X. Many of its pages have full colour bleeds. Looks like an excellent work.

One thing I've noticed, if you're reading in an airport a colour Japanese manga that's been translated and scanned to your laptop, people soon start to ask you lots of questions. Ack. Especially if it's as flashy and full of lithe cyberdroids as the Man Machine Interface series. I really miss that Ricochet wireless modem; with it, I could host the scanned colour ebook version on my PC at home whilst reading it remotely at an airport in Los Angeles.

BACKGROUND:
There are 2 versions. The cheaper regular edition (the one I have) has a hard-sided mousepad and doesn't have the super naughty content that the premium "solid box" edition has. Another name for the manga is Ghost In the Shell 2......

Examples of Shirow-type manga artwork HERE .

His manga are full of text, story, intricate detail, and a love of the illustrative medium. He would be considered one of those crossover artist/storytellers that has a good sense of futuristic neurocomputing metaphor and how to present it.

Last edited by Startide; 09-04-01 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-04-01, 09:19 PM

Currently re-reading Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose, probably his most accessible work (just try wading through Foucault's Pendulum....I tried for a month and failed miserably....). Much better than the movie (though I certainly would still like to get the movie out on DVD).
Old 09-05-01, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tolkien's the Lord of the Rings after hearing so many good things about it... Actually, I got the whole trilogy in the library, and have to do some serious reading in the next two weeks.
Old 09-05-01, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Cool Kitten
Tolkien's the Lord of the Rings after hearing so many good things about it... Actually, I got the whole trilogy in the library, and have to do some serious reading in the next two weeks.
Well worth it, you'll be grateful.

I'm reading about 100 pages of articles on the HP-Compaq merger right now. . .joy.
Old 09-05-01, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Bushdog
Well worth it, you'll be grateful.

I'm reading about 100 pages of articles on the HP-Compaq merger right now. . .joy.
You were the one who made me do it...I'm blaming you for it...
So far i'm about 100 pages into The Lord and I'm not that crazy about it...Hopefully it'll get better soon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.