Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Terry Pratchett & Discworld [Discussion/appreciation thread]

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-01, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is your favorite discworld novel? I've read quite a lot of them, but I have a hard time picking a favorite.

"In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded."

Old 05-20-01, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by mllefoo
What is your favorite discworld novel? I've read quite a lot of them, but I have a hard time picking a favorite.

"In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded."

I agree. It’s so hard to pick just one favoured book from such a stellar collection of works.

Myself I'd cast a vote for The Colour of Magic, followed a close 2nd by The Light Fantastic. I read them for the umpteenth time while I was travelling around the UK, and they are such a wonderful pisstake of tourism and travel in foreign countries.

Hemulen

<HR>

"We're going to San Francisco. The flowers in your hair are optional"
Neil Gaiman, American Gods.
Old 05-21-01, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I've only read two and a half Discworld novels so far (The Colour of Magic,The Light Fantastic, and about half of Hogfather) but it seems to me that TCOM and TLF are really one book, so I would say that that's my favorite so far. It's also interesting to see how he his writing has changed over the course of the series.
Old 05-21-01, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The books centering around Granny Weatherwax are my favourite. Especially the quartet of Equal Rites, Witches Abroad, Wyrd Sisters, Lords and Ladies. A close second however are the books involving Death.

I'm a huge pratchett addict - importing his books when i can afford to and reading everything he has ever done in the discworld series
Old 05-22-01, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was trying to come up with a list of coolest characters from Discworld. Who or what would be on your list?

Here's mine:

Death
The Luggage
You Bastard
Greebo
Granny Weatherwax
Old 05-23-01, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In my opinion, the coolest Discworld characters have been the ones from the Discworld Mud. They are less "static" than the characters from the Discworld books. I wish some of the adventures would be written up.
Old 05-23-01, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My list goes like this:
Granny Weatherwax
Death
Susan
Ridcully
Angua
Corporal Carrot
Magrat
Cut Me-Own-Throat-Dibbler

and i also really dig the Great A'Tuin, even though she really doesn't have much of a role.
Old 08-10-01, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Discworld: Please fill me in...best books etc...

[dr.nickvoice]Hi everybody![\dr.nickvoice]
My love is now into Discworld.
What are the best ones? Are the companion books (guides to Discworld, etc.) worth it? I am hoping to get in on some early xmas shopping. I just ordered the Wyrd Sisters DVD thru CH. Anything else cool I need to buy?
Any great DW websites?
Any help would be appreciated,
mini
Old 08-12-01, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Have no idea about the companion books, but my Discworld freak friend says these are his favorites:

Jingo
Interesting Times
The Truth
Thief of Time

The worst: Colour of Magic
Old 08-12-01, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really enjoyed 'The Fifth Elephant' and 'Hogfather'. 'Colour of Magic' is worth reading just because it was the first of the series and it's nice to see how Pratchett's style has evolved over time. My personal rule of thumb for these books: any of the books that deal with 'The Watch' are going to be hilarious.
Old 08-12-01, 12:13 PM
Mod Emeritus

Dave Langford produced Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" Quizbook/The Unseen University Challenge.
It might be a nice "novelty" gift.

<small>http://www.co.uk.lspace.org/fandom/a...-langford.html</small>

Last edited by benedict; 08-12-01 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-12-01, 10:25 PM

I'm mostly an old-Discworld books fan. So, yeah, I like The Color of Magic.

Also:

The Hogfather
Small Gods
Wyrd Sisters
Moving Pictures
Reaper Man
Pyramids
Mort

If you can find the second computer game, it pretty well captures the whole feel of the series. The first one is decent, but not quite as cool.
Old 08-14-01, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mini! What the hell are you doing in here?!!! I mean, I know you're smart (since you went to Cal too ) but didn't expect you in here...

I've been meaning to read this series, too, because of a lot of recommendations.
Old 08-16-01, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks guys!
Especially nice to see a post from BoatDrinks...hey man, 'sup?
P1, not only do I read, my guy reads too!
mini
Old 08-16-01, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by minifigg
Thanks guys!
Especially nice to see a post from BoatDrinks...hey man, 'sup?
P1, not only do I read, my guy reads too!
mini
Ah, so HE didn't go to USC then?
Old 08-17-01, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by p1forest

Ah, so HE didn't go to USC then?
He DID!!
That's where I met him!
I gave him the Wyrd Sisters DVD and book last night.
He still needs to read the book BEFORE WS though, so I pulled THAT out of the Xmas pile too and gave it to him early...

Ok, back to the bookstore...
Any other DW stuff he needs?
mini
Old 10-22-01, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Illustrated Discworld

I just bought a copy of a hard cover illustrated Discworld called "The Last Hero". It's got some gorgeous paintings and illustrations, and well worth what I paid for the book.

The story involves Cohen the Barbarian and the Silver Horde giving fire back to the gods - with interest, which could spell the end of the world as they know it. I'm about a third of the way through the story, and so far it's typical Pratchett.

I was wondering if there are any other illustrated Discworld books out there?
Old 10-22-01, 09:11 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
There is a version of Mort in comic-book form. Up for grabs, used, on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0575056991/
Old 05-19-02, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shhh, don't tell anyone, but Terry Pratchett is gonna go to World Con

Seriously. Mr. Pratchett will be in San Jose, CA in August for ConJose (World Science Fiction and Fantasy Convention). He is not a guest of honor. He's just going to be there for the heck of it.

Looks like I can get my copy of The Last Hero signed.

I'm just hoping Claircraft will be there so I can pick up a couple of Discworld statues. I'd really like to get my hands on a Death Riding Binky statue. And maybe Quoth the Raven.
Old 05-21-02, 06:38 PM

Thanks! I'll send a book or two w/friends.
Old 05-21-02, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any Discworld fans?

On the recommendation of a teacher, I picked up a copy of Small Gods by Terry Pratchett. It's one of the best fantasy/comedy books I've ever read - I really like Pratchett's humor and style.

Following that, I read Equal Rites and Thief of Time, the first in two days, the second in a single day. Now I want to read all the Discworld books.

However, I have no real clue where to start. There's over twenty or so, right? Is there any real order to read them? Are they all self-contained stories? Or are they all loosely connected (like how Lu-Tze from Small Gods is a main character in Thief of Time)? Any suggestions on how to go about reading the series would help.
Old 05-21-02, 10:04 PM
Banned

Yes, there is occasionally a need to know what happened before, and Terry writes a prelude when that happens. It is especially neccessary for Lords and Ladies to have already read Wyrd Sisters.

I just finished Soul Music (bought the DVD too, not bad). Start at the beginning and work your way forward. Plenty of Discworld sites up with the correct order.

I think I only have about 8 left to go. I was all fired up in the beginning, now I read other stuff inbetween. He's still funny as hell, and Soul Music is an especially perceptive commentary on the music industry as a whole. Lol, some of his jokes are so subtle it took me hearing them spoken out loud on the DVD to actually get it.

Soul Music Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Especially the one about Imp being "Elvish", and the one about "redecorating the hotel rooms" (which I'm embarassed to say, I should have gotten right off)

Last edited by Eric F; 05-21-02 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-23-02, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you want a fun read, get Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. It's the funniest take on the Apocalypse.

I'm reading The Fifth Elephant right now. Great stuff.
Old 05-25-02, 05:49 PM
Mod Emeritus

RolloTomasi, in addition to what Eric F said, here is a list of FAQs. There was also an earlier thread [edit: subsequently merged!]

For longterm afficianados, higher up this merged thread I mentioned a quizbook; The Unseen University Challenge. Well, there is now a follow-up; the Wyrdest Link.

At first glance neither seemed to available from Amazon.com but, on closer inspection, I noticed that the first of the two is called "Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' Quizbook" Stateside!

FYI, each seems to be available at Amazon.co.uk and anyone thinking of getting them there can use the 3UKP off 15UKP coupon code posted elsewhere on the forum: BYPK-A4H7-E3P5 (it is apparently of unlimited use and valid until end of July). If you need to build up your order, David Langford (the question master)'s own Leaky Establishment novel is also a fun read for those who enjoy quirky British fiction. Or check out his book on the late Josh Kirby's art: A Cosmic Cornucopia

Last edited by benedict; 09-01-02 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-27-02, 10:28 AM
Banned

The Mort graphic novel is especially hard to find. If you get one of those you're lucky.

There's also an oversized illustrated Discworld book that came out recently. It's a totally new story.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.