Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you find yourself looking at what other people are reading?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Do you find yourself looking at what other people are reading?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-01, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever since this forum started, I find myself looking at books other people are reading to determine the title. There are so many great recomendations for books in this thread, when I see someone reading a book, I want to know (a) if I've read it, or (b) if someone in the forum has recomended it.

The only reason I ask is this is something I've never really done before this forum started.

Maybe it's just me.

-Steve
Old 04-30-01, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will pay attention to what friends with similar tastes are reading. If they found a certain story to be "awesome" or "excellent" I will generally ad it to a list I keep of recommended books. I'll sometimes go to this when I'm looking for something to read and nothing in my to be read pile appeals at the moment. I also use this list when the local Half-Price-Books (a used book store) has one of their big blowout sales. Last time I picked up about 30 books for $20 using my recommended list and my want to get list.

The biggest problem that comes up is that my of my friends are stuck in fantasy/sci-fi only mode and while I am a big fan of that genre, I like to go for a broader scope in what I read. Still can't get myself to do romance yet though.

Old 04-30-01, 12:16 AM

My biggest problem is (add this to another Thank God For The Book Forum list) is that none of my friends, save one, read nearly as much as I do. The friend that does read as much as I do has a tendency to read Tom Clancy and the like. I, however, cannot seem to get into the Clancy type genre, so it kind of leaves me in the cold as far as recomendations are concerned.

Fortunately, there is a fantastic bookstore where I work where the employees actually know and appreciate books as opposed to just working there for the paycheck.

-Steve
Old 04-30-01, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by tictacboy
Fortunately, there is a fantastic bookstore where I work where the employees actually know and appreciate books as opposed to just working there for the paycheck.

-Steve
Now that's a book store I'd like to visit.
Old 04-30-01, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by tictacboy
My biggest problem is (add this to another Thank God For The Book Forum list) is that none of my friends, save one, read nearly as much as I do.
Only one of my friends reads anywhere near as much as I do. He's a reading machine and goes through 10 to 12 books a month. Best I can do is 6 or 7. The rest of the people I get recommendations from read 1 maybe 2 books in a month. I still take their opinions for what they're worth, some more than others. A guy I used to work with only read between 5 and 10 books a year, but he recommended the "Sword Books" by Fred Saberhagen, and though it's been a while I seem to remember enjoying them. Another person OTOH recommended the Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan and I haven't been able to get even a little way into the first book. I haven't given up on it quite yet though. Sometimes you just have to be in the right "mood". I'm really glad this forum was started though. I've already added some stuff to my list.
Old 04-30-01, 12:58 AM

Man, I have forgotton about "The Sword" books. Thanks, you just added more to my read (or re-read) list.

BTW - The bookstore I was referring to is Olsens. It's a small chain in the DC area.

-Steve
Old 04-30-01, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hey, I have the Sword Books. I read the first, but haven't gotten around to the next ones.

Unfortunately I don't know anybody that reads anywhere near as much as I do, and I don't really read that much. My only friend that actually does read books for fun only likes Stephen King, and I haven't really gotten into King yet. I am one of those kind of stuck in the Fantasy/Sci-Fi genre right now.

Although, another friend did recommend the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. Martin. I will probably check those out pretty soon.

-CM-
Old 02-02-03, 05:58 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I once saw a very smart executive-type young woman reading Viz (the UK "comic for grown ups", sort of) on the bus! That made me smile as it seemed not to fit her image.

A few weeks ago a guy on the bus started up a conversation about the book I was then reading (something by Peter Hamilton) and moving on to the sf genre as a whole.

The weird thing was when he said "Ah, a Hamilton fan" I didn't initially realise what he was talking about and shot him a quizzical/bemused look! Often when engrossed in a book I could not tell you straight away the author &/or title!
Old 02-02-03, 07:04 PM

Tomorrow I'm starting the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly mostly due to comments I have read on this forum. I bought the whole series at the local used book store today confident I will like the first enough to read the whole series.
Old 02-03-03, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love seeing/hearing what other people are reading, which is why I enjoy the posts on this forum. Not only is it cool to get tips or recommendations, it's fun just talking to other people who love books.
Old 02-03-03, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Cedar
Tomorrow I'm starting the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly mostly due to comments I have read on this forum. I bought the whole series at the local used book store today confident I will like the first enough to read the whole series.
I hope you enjoy the series! It's one of my favorites. I think it's among the very best.
Old 02-03-03, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by Cedar

What makes that series so damn_good is if you start from book one, you can watch as Bosch (and Connelly) mature and grow from book to book.
Old 02-04-03, 06:41 AM

Received 96 Likes on 36 Posts
I have always paid attention to what those around me are reading, but mostly just out of curiosity. Well, that and my urge to "analyze" people -- what a person reads can tell you a lot about his/her personality. Occasionally, if a title or cover or whatever really catches my attention, I might seek out information on it later to see if it's something I might enjoy reading. But not usually.

I have, on the other hand, added quite a few titles to my reading list based on posts in this forum.

BTW, Steve, I'll have to check out Olsson's now that you've recommended them. I've seen one or two around but have never gone in one. Unfortunately there aren't any that are really really close to where I live or work, so I'll have to actually plan to go to one.
Old 02-04-03, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by alyxstarr

BTW, Steve, I'll have to check out Olsson's now that you've recommended them. I've seen one or two around but have never gone in one. Unfortunately there aren't any that are really really close to where I live or work, so I'll have to actually plan to go to one.
Keep in mind their selection isn't that big (at least the one I've been too), but their help has always been top notch.

Also, they get some pretty well known authors to read and sign their books.

Olsosn's Homepage
Old 02-04-03, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Alien Redrum
My biggest problem is that none of my friends, save one, read nearly as much as I do.
Right there with you.

I tried to start a book club last year with a group of WRITERS that I know and none of them were interested in reading a book every month!

This town...
Old 02-04-03, 02:13 PM

Louisiana?
Old 02-04-03, 06:07 PM

Yeah Alien, I always try to check on when books were published when starting a new author, especially if he uses a central figure. I hate having them talk about stuff that happened in previous books and not know what they are talking about!
Old 02-04-03, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some of my family members read quite a bit, but none of my friends, most of whom are morons, read more than a single book a year, if any.