Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

When do you find time to read?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-01, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last few years I've done the greater part of my leisure reading during my archaeological excavations in Turkey. There is nothing else to do except work, and we already do about 15 hours of that a day, so I can read for an hour or two every day in a tree, or a wheat field. Best part about it is that somewhere in the middle of the season I run out of stuff to read and I go borrowing. Got to read a lot of new things.. PG Wodehouse (great stuff), Umberto Eco, Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I think I even read a romance novel once.
Old 04-30-01, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Scarecrow
Originally posted by hello na-na
Sometimes reading before bed backfires for me.
Instead of making me tired, if its a really good book, I'll stay up until i finish it...
I know what you mean. There have been a few times that I've stayed up until 4 or 5 in the morning, because I couldn't put the book down.

Been there! I ususally read at night before bed, and sometimes during lunch. Plus if my gf & I go to the beach or something.
Old 05-01-01, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by corsairp47
I always carry a book in my purse, just in case I get stuck somewhere in line or in a waiting room.
That's a good idea (sans purse). I tried carrying a book w/ me all week, and probably read 75-100 pages I would've ordinarily missed.

Thanks!
Old 05-02-01, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually do a good part of my reading when i take my relaxation bath every night. Worked my way through many a Star Trek or Pratchett novel in the tub.
Old 05-05-01, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm always reading. But, lately I've picked up the nasty habit of only reading magazines. I haven't really sat down with a novel in over a year. Mainly because I know myself, and I don't trust myself with a novel.

If I pick up a novel, it's nothing for me to plow through several hundreds of pages in an evening, forsaking anything else. Once I'm involved, life just stops. I'll read until I realize I've read two or three pages without any comprehension. Then, as soon as I wake up, I'm back at it again.

I've got too much going on to devote several constant hours of my time to a book. It's sad really. I've got quite a backlog of books I've been meaning to read and books I need to read.
Old 05-31-01, 09:38 AM

What, no-one admits to reading in the bathroom? (At least, not that I could see...) Oh, come on, people, admit it! Don't leave me thinking I'm the only one! <grin> I have two boys (16 months old and 6 years old), so the bathroom is sometimes my only option for any peace and quiet!

-Skywa|ker

Old 05-31-01, 09:46 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I read mostly before going to sleep. usually 30 minutes to an hour spent reading. I also read between calls and work while I am at work.
Also, I read on long trips or long drives, if I am not the one driving.
Old 06-12-01, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

on the train...
Old 06-13-01, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like to read when I'm droppin the kids off at the pool.
Old 07-04-01, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Before I go to Sleep. Peace and quiet aplenty. Sat on the John when the traffic is sluggish is another good time to turn a few pages - or even if the going is good; you can still pass a paragraph or two while the last nights supper mellows. On vacation is the best place; sat back in a Spanish Villa popping in and out of other worlds.

Old 07-04-01, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As long as I can stay off the internet I have plenty of time to read. I think I average about a book a week, sometimes more sometimes less, but over a year that's about what it amounts to. If I wracked up thousands of posts here each year, then there's no way I'd get any reading done. I detest Usenet(I don't even have access to it anymore), but dvdtalk can be addictive. I think for a lot of people staying off the computer is the key. I'm a really slow reader, but I manage to read about 8 hours at work each week, then I always have quite a bit of free time in the evenings...and especially on my days off from work. I feel so much better about things if I use my free time exercising, watching DVDs, and reading, but for some reason I have to really make myself do those things instead of getting online for hours and hours.