Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

AMERICAN TERRORIST (aka the Tim McVeigh book)

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

AMERICAN TERRORIST (aka the Tim McVeigh book)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-01, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exploitative, sensationalistic trash or a good, objective portrait of how one man decides to kill his fellow countrymen for some political ideal (or somewhere uncomfortable in between)? Tell me whether I should bother.
Old 05-10-01, 11:25 PM
Needs to provide a working email

I don't know because I'm not buying it. I don't want one penny of my money to go to anything related to the sleeze.
Old 05-11-01, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Darren Garrison
I don't know because I'm not buying it. I don't want one penny of my money to go to anything related to the sleeze.
That's why G-d invented libraries.
Old 05-11-01, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Darren Garrison
I think by federal law (or maybe state), McVeigh or his family cannot make money off a book about his crime. I think the money goes to the victims or charities or something like that.

-Steve
Old 05-11-01, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The proceeds to this book are going to McVeighs family. He cannot profit off the book, but his family can and are. The claim by the book that part of the proceeds are going to support the memorial and the victims is a lie. The spokesman for the bombing memorial has come out and said that they never made this agreement and he wants nothing to do with the book.

McVeigh's attorney during his trial has some out and spoken about a lot of their conversations. He was able to do this despite the attorney client privilege because he said that the book is a work of fiction and it is his right to defend himself and set the record straight.

I would save your money.
Old 05-11-01, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by JMLEWIS1
The proceeds to this book are going to McVeighs family. He cannot profit off the book, but his family can and are. The claim by the book that part of the proceeds are going to support the memorial and the victims is a lie. The spokesman for the bombing memorial has come out and said that they never made this agreement and he wants nothing to do with the book.

McVeigh's attorney during his trial has some out and spoken about a lot of their conversations. He was able to do this despite the attorney client privilege because he said that the book is a work of fiction and it is his right to defend himself and set the record straight.

I would save your money.
F that! I wouldn't even get this book from the library if that is the case. How could his family sleep at night?

BTW, where did you get this info? I am not calling you a liar by any means, I just would be interested in reading the whole article if it's available.

-Steve
Old 05-12-01, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by tictacboy
Originally posted by JMLEWIS1

I would save your money.
F that! I wouldn't even get this book from the library if that is the case. How could his family sleep at night?

BTW, where did you get this info? I am not calling you a liar by any means, I just would be interested in reading the whole article if it's available.

-Steve
well, I live in Oklahoma, and they had a big deal on the news every night for about the entire first week the book was out. They interviewed the director of the bombing memorial who was pretty pissed and they talked about the proceeds...there were a lot of interviews with Stephen Jones (McVeighs attorney who said the book was pretty bogus)

If you wanna read about it you can probably find info at http://www.oklahoman.com
http://www.9online.com
http://www.channeloklahoma.com
http://www.tulsaworld.com
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?brd=1285
Old 06-11-01, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was wondering if this book is any good. I find the whole McVeigh story kind of fascinating and I am interested in knowing more.

Is this book worth it? Is it readable? Do you learn anything new?

Anyone who has read it, please post your thoughts.
Old 07-05-01, 01:05 AM

^^^
Old 07-05-01, 06:31 AM

I just started it (yesterday) and so far, it's pretty good. I read alot of true crime books and can usually pick out the bad ones. The writing is good and you can tell the authors have done their homework.

I can't understand why people tried to boycott this book. Does reading ABOUT someone mean that you support him? People are such f---in idiots.