Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Vinegar Syndrome -- Black Friday Sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-22, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts
Re: Vinegar Syndrome -- Black Friday Sale

Oh wow. Freeway. Long time favorite of mine. Not sure I can wait till May for true 50% off.
Old 11-25-22, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I added Freeway to my Road House and Amityville Horror order from months ago. Hope to get them all soon.
Old 11-25-22, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

I know it’s only an $8 difference, but Cloak and Dagger not being half off when it came out in May is preventing my purchase.
Luckily everything on my to buy list has quantities over 1,000. I’ll be sitting this one out for the most part.
I did pick up Natural Enemies last night at 11. Figured it would sell out.
Old 11-27-22, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ended up overspending a little bit, but as I always say, there's no point in making the money if you can't have fun spending it.

Freeway
The Iceman Cometh
Viva Erotica
Righting Wrongs
Thriller - A Cruel Picture
Air Doll
They Look Like People
Reform School Girls

at least I waited on a few of those titles long enough to get the true 50% off
Old 11-28-22, 10:30 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Debating getting the subscription for the first time. The $25 discount appears to have put me over the edge.
Old 11-28-22, 10:51 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

I wish they'd send out one of those last minute $5 off coupons.
Old 11-28-22, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
I wish they'd send out one of those last minute $5 off coupons.
They'll usually (but not always) send a $5 "patience" coupon to those who placed BF orders, to get people to spend even more money the following year. It's good till spring, but of course it expires before the Halfway sale in May
Old 11-28-22, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Paff
They'll usually (but not always) send a $5 "patience" coupon to those who placed BF orders, to get people to spend even more money the following year. It's good till spring, but of course it expires before the Halfway sale in May
I mean like how they did during the Halfway sale... they sent a $5 coupon on the final day to get people to do more "add to order" orders. These guys know how to get people to spend.

eta: I just got their "Let's add to your VS Black Friday package!" and got all excited... but no coupon.

Last edited by dex14; 11-28-22 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-04-22, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Debating getting the subscription for the first time. The $25 discount appears to have put me over the edge.
I've been a subscriber the past 3 years. The growth of the partner labels definitely gives more value to the subscription, also not having to worry about hitting a free shipping threshold is nice. That being said, I may not resubscribe next year. My backlog of unwatched titles gets larger and larger, plus some of the movies I don't like and probably never watch again. But I definitely recommend trying it once. They usually give a $50 discount to resubscribes which will probably make me drunkingly resubscribe anyway like last year though...
Old 12-04-22, 07:32 PM

I almost subscribed two years ago and I’m glad I didn’t. The recent wave of 90’s martial arts movies don’t do anything for me.
Old 12-05-22, 06:51 AM

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Anyone know if “ Road House” still available? Cant find it on their site! thanks
The following users liked this post:
Captsmee.00 (12-05-22)
Old 12-05-22, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by smurrlock
Anyone know if “ Road House” still available? Cant find it on their site! thanks
It's "Partners Only Month": https://vinegarsyndrome.com/pages/partners-only-faq
It will be back on the site in January.
Captsmee.00 (12-05-22)
Old 12-05-22, 02:49 PM

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

The Road House release is top tier for sure. Amazing job on it
Old 12-05-22, 02:51 PM

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
I almost subscribed two years ago and I’m glad I didn’t. The recent wave of 90’s martial arts movies don’t do anything for me.
First time for me as mid year subscriber. I hope they don’t stop the mid year subscription, because all the heavy hitters I like are usually sept-nov. even then I only kept about half the titles released. The partners discount is pretty nice though
Old 12-06-22, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You and I couldn't disagree more. I LOVE the wave of 90s martial arts movies. Are you not a fan of martial arts movies in general, or just the 90s ones? Because 90s Hong Kong cinema is one of my favorite eras of film, right up there with 70s Gialli, and 70s-set NYC crime films.
I like the 90s HK movies more than classic Shaw Bros. films (although I do like me some Shaw), mostly because they're set in the present, and will usually have a focus on stunts as well as fight scenes (I think there's a man named Jackie we can thank for that). Shaw Bros movies are definitely fun too, but they're always period pieces, and based on Chinese folklore that they expect the audience to already know. But 90s HK? You can have a crazy-ass car chase that ends in a stunt-filled hand-to-hand fight scene. Man, movies just don't get better than that.
Old 12-06-22, 06:52 AM

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
It's "Partners Only Month": https://vinegarsyndrome.com/pages/partners-only-faq
It will be back on the site in January.
thanks
Old 12-06-22, 08:11 AM

I’m not a huge fan of martial arts films in general, but there are obvious exceptions.
The Rothrock stuff never appealed to me although she’s very talented. I haven’t seen a ton, but what I have Just doesn’t trip my trigger like 80’s slashers or 70’s crime.
Old 12-06-22, 12:42 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Thanks for the subscription input everyone! I ended up falling asleep early the day the deals ended, so missed it. But yeah, I have way too many unwatched discs anyway.
Old 12-06-22, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Thanks for the subscription input everyone! I ended up falling asleep early the day the deals ended, so missed it. But yeah, I have way too many unwatched discs anyway.
If they offer it next year, try the halfway subscription. Its for the final half of the year. You can dip your toe in the subscription benefits and see if they're worthwhile to you.
Trevor (12-07-22)
Old 12-07-22, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
You and I couldn't disagree more. I LOVE the wave of 90s martial arts movies. Are you not a fan of martial arts movies in general, or just the 90s ones? Because 90s Hong Kong cinema is one of my favorite eras of film, right up there with 70s Gialli, and 70s-set NYC crime films.
I like the 90s HK movies more than classic Shaw Bros. films (although I do like me some Shaw), mostly because they're set in the present, and will usually have a focus on stunts as well as fight scenes . . . .
I’m not a huge fan of martial arts films in general, but there are obvious exceptions.
The Rothrock stuff never appealed to me although she’s very talented. I haven’t seen a ton, but what I have Just doesn’t trip my trigger like 80’s slashers or 70’s crime.
Had a feeling you might have been referring to the non-HK stuff that Vinegar Syndrome's been exhuming, rather than the actual Hong Kong movies VS they've put out so far, which is comparatively few? VS hasn't done very many legit Hong Kong movies at this point, but they seem to be going all in on American martial arts films from the 90's -- Rothrock, Don Wilson, Billy Blanks, Jalal Merhi, etc -- and these films can't hold a candle to the Hong Kong action films being produced during that era. They're basically all cop/crime thrillers with a few ok fight scenes. As with everything VS puts out, I can appreciate the effort to "restore" and supplement these things, but they're just not that good, and should be researched heavily if one is considering them as a justification for a subscription. Can't imagine how many people splurged on the Merhi movies, for example, because of VS's marketing hyperbole and box copy, only to discover how forgettable they are. There's a big difference between Rothrock in RIGHTING WRONGS and Rothrock in TIGER CLAWS 1-3. Good on her for keeping her name and face on video store shelves throughout that era, but she made more than her fair share of mediocre pictures. Mind you, the stuff she's made in the last decade or so is even worse, but hopefully we're a ways off from Vinegar Syndrome trying to convince us that SHOWDOWN IN MANILA or SANTA'S SUMMER HOUSE are "underappreciated classics of martial arts mayhem!"

Last edited by Brian T; 12-07-22 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-11-22, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Yo, I think I like mine too much to sell it but dang, have you seen what these are going for?!?!

Old 12-11-22, 07:57 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If I read the wording correctly, VS will not be offering a 1/2 year subscription - sounds like they're only doing the 1-year thing the first week of January. --Peter
Old 12-11-22, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Yo, I think I like mine too much to sell it but dang, have you seen what these are going for?!?!

I haven’t received mine yet, but boy I’m strongly considering selling it.
Old 12-12-22, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

I haven’t received mine yet, but boy I’m strongly considering selling it.
Got this last week (nice to finally forget the old DVD-R ripped from VHS that I made), but I don't recall it selling out. Did it, or are these sellers just milking the fact that VS titles are offline for the month?
Old 12-12-22, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Brian T
Got this last week (nice to finally forget the old DVD-R ripped from VHS that I made), but I don't recall it selling out. Did it, or are these sellers just milking the fact that VS titles are offline for the month?
That's exactly what is happening. I can't tell you how many people I've seen asking about Burning Paradise and end up resorting to eBay.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.