Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

eBay coupons

Old 07-18-19, 10:47 PM
  #51  
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7
Re: eBay coupons

How often do the little non-specific coupons show up? I see lots of discounts on specific items, but I need a generic "here's a bit off anything" one, like the $3 codes, and I'm getting the feeling they're rare. Anyone keep track of that? Thanks!
JustJoan is offline  
Old 07-18-19, 11:06 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 6,645
Re: eBay coupons

The first quarter of each month is when eBay Bucks are issued/valid and there are generally no coupons during that period. July is the first month of the third quarter so no coupons right now.

Otherwise, coupons are usually issued at the end of the quarter (last couple weeks) in order to boost revenues. Lately they’ve had the $3 off $3 coupons. Further in the past they had 10/15/20% off or ones like $5 off $25.
TheBang is offline  
Old 07-19-19, 09:52 AM
  #53  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Pflugerville, TX USA
Posts: 623
Re: eBay coupons

Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
The first quarter of each month is when eBay Bucks are issued/valid and there are generally no coupons during that period. July is the first month of the third quarter so no coupons right now.

I can verify this to be true with the exception of once you have used your eBay Bucks, you might get a unique coupon/code offered exclusively to you shortly after within that same month. I've had this happen multiple times. It always irks me that I can never stack deals.
lumberjack is offline  
Old 07-19-19, 04:22 PM
  #54  
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7
Re: eBay coupons

Dang, I was afraid it was something like that. Oh well, thanks!
JustJoan is offline  
Old 07-21-19, 02:35 PM
  #55  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 21,635
Re: eBay coupons

eBay is generally moving away from big discounts offered to everyone. They've trained too many customers like yourself to wait on a discount to appear and want to wean people off that behavior.

Now that everything on eBay is taxed for virtually the entire United States, it's a less attractive shopping platform for new goods.
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 07-21-19, 11:18 PM
  #56  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,966
Re: eBay coupons

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
eBay is generally moving away from big discounts offered to everyone. They've trained too many customers like yourself to wait on a discount to appear and want to wean people off that behavior.

Now that everything on eBay is taxed for virtually the entire United States, it's a less attractive shopping platform for new goods.
Ironically, I'm finding more & more frequently that shipping from the UK is at times cheaper than buying in the USA & paying sales tax. Sad.
MooMooMooMoo is offline  
Old 07-22-19, 05:24 PM
  #57  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 21,635
Re: eBay coupons

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo View Post
Ironically, I'm finding more & more frequently that shipping from the UK is at times cheaper than buying in the USA & paying sales tax. Sad.
Completely agree. The online shopping experience has taken a severe hit over the past two years for Americans as new taxes come online and Amazon doesn't worry anymore about competitors.
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 07-22-19, 05:48 PM
  #58  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,310
Re: eBay coupons

Maybe Amazon wasn't so much worried about competition, as it was knowing that their foreign infiltration...would be propped-up by an increase in American buyers.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 07-22-19, 08:17 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,966
Re: eBay coupons

The sad thing is that in Music & Movie Discs, Amazon largely has no competition in the USA other than maybe Walmart & ebay. All the large indies also sell on ebay & Amazon.
MooMooMooMoo is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 12:36 AM
  #60  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 606
Re: eBay coupons

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Completely agree. The online shopping experience has taken a severe hit over the past two years for Americans as new taxes come online and Amazon doesn't worry anymore about competitors.

When so many people on multiple forums have pretty much the same sequence -- Well, Amazons packaging sucks and half my movies arrive damaged, they can't deliver anything on time anymore, and their prices aren't as good as other sites and they won't adjust a price after releasese day even for a disc that haven't even shipped yet, their Customer Service has plummeted over the last few years and the reps and constantly beyond ruder
but I's still going to preorder everything from them because I pay for Prime. When they quit trying, I quit buying from them -- too many other retailers who are trying to do a good job and provide better service, prices, price protection, packaging, and less attitude.

Why should they worry about the 20 other sites that are doing a better job.
I averaged over 150 Discs annually from Amazon 2010-2012, since then I haven't bought 100 total in the last 6 years and half of those are from 3rd party.

I think I totaled my purchases a year or so ago and since 2014, Amazon.com ranks 24th on my Disc Purcahse retialer. I've bought more discs at Dollar Tree than Amazon.
When Amazon
hariseldon is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 06:17 AM
  #61  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,028
Re: eBay coupons

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo View Post
The sad thing is that in Music & Movie Discs, Amazon largely has no competition in the USA other than maybe Walmart & ebay. All the large indies also sell on ebay & Amazon.
And yet practically any deal that is any good on Amazon is just a price match to someone else. I don't have Prime, and besides a free/cheap trial here-and-there never will, so whenever a movie has a good price on Amazon, the first thing I do is figure out who they are price matching and order from them.
joltman is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.