Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Barnes & Noble Criterion 50% Off MSRP Sale June 29 through August 6, 2018

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-18, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion 50% Off MSRP Sale June 29 through August 6, 2018

The manager said she only had a single "A frame" display. I assumed she meant multiple copies of the 20 titles. I would also mainly be interested in imports & box sets.
Old 07-26-18, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I looked back in my purchases and discovered that the summer of 2016 sale was the last time I participated in one of these. I think I made up for it this time around. Here is what I am hoping to be my total haul from this sale:

Female Trouble
The Breakfast Club
Boyhood
Punch-Drunk Love
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
The Virgin Suicides
El Sur
The Piano Teacher
Bull Durham
Short Cuts
The Lure
Blood Simple
Election
Personal Shopper
Sex, Lies, and Videotape
Graduation
The Executioner
Old 07-29-18, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just Virgin Suicides and Dragon Inn for me this time around.
Old 08-03-18, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Finally got a chance to stop by the Barnes & Noble closest to where I teach. I had gone to this store a few weeks ago but they didn't have much. When I went to today, they had re-stocked which was awesome.

Got news that my uncle had passed away today, so I went ahead and bought my feelings

The Virgin Spring
The Kid
Dead Man
Dragon Inn
3:10 To Yuma
The Asphalt Jungle
The Friends Of Eddie Coyle
Female Trouble
All That Heaven Allows
Bicycle Thieves

Last edited by asianxcore; 08-03-18 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-02-18, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Does anyone know approximately when the Falls sale begins?
Old 10-02-18, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

Old day's it would have been Tues Nov 6 for 4 weeks ending on a Monday.

Last year is was 11/1 (W) -11/30 (Th). The July sale moved around so much and both the start and end date changed at least once.

So they may run the NOV sale or start 11/1 or 11/2 and go through 12/3 since that would gain a full weekend.
Oct 30 - Nov 26 could be since ending Cybermonday has been a common thing

The only time it started in October was the Hurricane Sandy year so if they're superstitious they might avoid it just based on that.

Best bet of the Criterion.com Flash sale in Oct 16 (coinciding with Shampoo) though you never know with that sale.

Last edited by hariseldon; 10-02-18 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-03-18, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

I'd like to get the Bergman box on that sale.
Old 10-03-18, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hariseldon

Best bet of the Criterion.com Flash sale in Oct 16 (coinciding with Shampoo) though you never know with that sale.
Yeah, I'm hoping that the Criterion flash sale shows up after October 30th so I can add Princess Bride to my order. Otherwise, I might skip it this year (because I don't think I could find enough for free shipping).
Old 10-03-18, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
I'd like to get the Bergman box on that sale.
Same here and Andrei Rublev.
Old 10-03-18, 04:28 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
Yeah, I'm hoping that the Criterion flash sale shows up after October 30th so I can add Princess Bride to my order. Otherwise, I might skip it this year (because I don't think I could find enough for free shipping).
It’s been mid-October for years, so after the 30th isn’t likely.
Old 10-04-18, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

From The Wall St Journal:

Barnes & Noble Inc. said it is considering a sale after receiving interest from multiple parties including its executive chairman, Leonard Riggio, the latest twist for the embattled bookseller as its business reaches a critical juncture following years of decline.

The company on Wednesday said it would launch a formal review process to evaluate its strategic options. A special committee of the board will lead the review.

Barnes & Noble also said that it has adopted a short-term shareholder rights plan—also known as a poison pill—meant to fend off an unsolicited acquirer, after observing “rapid material accumulations” of its stock by parties it can’t identify.

The retail industry is undergoing another major shift—to e-commerce. How did we get here? Photo: Associated Press
In after-hours trading, Barnes & Noble shares were up nearly 20%.

Physical book retailing has been under assault for the better part of two decades from the rise of Amazon.com Inc. and online distribution. Borders Group Inc., the other major chain, filed for bankruptcy protection in 2011 and later went into liquidation.

Barnes & Noble is the one remaining publicly traded superstore chain, but the book retailer has watched its market share and clout in the industry gradually erode.

Years of sliding sales and unsuccessful turnaround efforts have taken a heavy toll. Its market capitalization has been sliced by more than two-thirds since 2015 to about $400 million. And there is no sign of an end to the bleeding. For the full fiscal year that ended April 28, total sales fell 6% to $3.7 billion.

The company remains optimistic. It has added new stores this year and has forecast an increase in earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization in fiscal 2019.

Amazon is a major factor for its troubles: The tech giant now accounts for more than 60% of all books sold online, including physical and digital books, according to Peter Hildick-Smith, chief executive of book research company Codex Group LLC.

To its critics, Barnes & Noble has failed to imagine what a modern bookstore can be, despite several attempts to reinvent the format—whether it be efforts a few years ago to add more gifts and nonbook items, or more recent efforts to add full-service restaurants.

Book sales as a whole have lately tracked ahead of Barnes & Noble’s performance, suggesting that it is isn’t capturing consumer demand sufficiently.

Print-book unit sales rose slightly last year to 687 million, according to book tracker NPD BookScan, even as Barnes & Noble’s sales slid. There have been several high-performing titles in 2018, with several related to politics, including Michael Wolff’s “Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House,” and James Comey’s “A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership.”

“The publishing industry today is robust,” said literary agent Richard Pine. “You have new authors breaking through, together with the tried-and-true authors selling.”

Barnes & Noble has struggled with its digital offerings. Its boldest attempt, the Nook e-reader, fell flat in the market and was unable to compete with devices from Amazon and Apple Inc. Barnes & Noble has since reduced its Nook footprint in stores and turned to third-party device suppliers.

Online sales remain weak. Online revenue fell 14% in the most recent quarter. On Wednesday, during the retailer’s annual shareholder meeting, Mr. Riggio said improving the company’s website was a priority.

Management turmoil has exacerbated the problems. Barnes & Noble has had five chief executives since 2013. The latest, Demos Parneros, was fired abruptly in July for violating company policies. Mr. Parneros, who didn’t receive any severance pay, has since filed suit against Barnes & Noble, alleging wrongful termination.

Mr. Parneros said the firing followed failed talks involving a potential sale of the company.

Barnes & Noble’s troubles attracted the attention of investor Richard Schottenfeld, who has built a 6.9% stake in the business.

The shareholder rights plan, which will expire in a year, would go into effect if a person or group acquires 20% or more of Barnes & Noble common shares without the board’s approval.

The plan would allow all rights holders to purchase preferred shares that are equivalent to the retailer’s common stock at a 50% discount. This would dilute the outsider’s holdings.

It is unclear whether Mr. Riggio, who has a 19.2% stake in Barnes & Noble, indicated an offer price to the company and how he would finance a bid. The company said Mr. Riggio will vote his shares in favor of any transaction recommended by the committee.
Old 10-04-18, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Online revenues are down because Barne & Noble is rarely competitive online. Members don't get the discount on online purchases, so why wouldn't I use my Prime membership to have the same books shipped to my home in two days?

I barely even check their online pricing anymore.
Old 10-04-18, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
It’s been mid-October for years, so after the 30th isn’t likely.
Darn, looks like Barnes & Noble for that one then.
Old 10-05-18, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I only shop them for the reason this thread exists, the Criterion sales. However, I've recently discovered that when eBay run their 15-20% off sales, if you stack that with BIOH's ongoing sale deal, you can get most Criterion's for just about the same price. Which is my roundabout way of saying, I won't be crushed if they go out of business. Although I hope they don't.
Old 10-05-18, 06:55 AM
FM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I only shop them for the reason this thread exists, the Criterion sales. However, I've recently discovered that when eBay run their 15-20% off sales, if you stack that with BIOH's ongoing sale deal, you can get most Criterion's for just about the same price. Which is my roundabout way of saying, I won't be crushed if they go out of business. Although I hope they don't.
I apologize if it's obvious or common knowledge, but I've been out of the game awhile. What does BIOH stand for?
Old 10-05-18, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by FM
I apologize if it's obvious or common knowledge, but I've been out of the game awhile. What does BIOH stand for?
Blowitoutahere. They frequently have deals (like buy 1, get 2 15% off) that stack with eBay's regular 15%/20% coupons.
Old 10-06-18, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They have a decent assortment of CDs priced at $4.99, though the music section has been reduced at virtually every B&N store over the past year.
Old 10-06-18, 08:07 AM

There is sign up at my local Barnes and Noble that says the new expanded Toys and Games Department, formerly the media section and where media still is, opens in November. I wouldn't think a Criterion sale would start until the renovation is completed, assuming this a chain wide change.
Old 10-09-18, 02:52 PM
Cool New Member

The lady at my local store said the sale should be in about 3 weeks.
Old 10-09-18, 03:07 PM

I heard a person at my Barnes and Noble ask if they were removing media. She was told the former media section would all be Toys and Games and that media was moving elsewhere in the store. Currently most media is on rolling carts at this store.
Old 10-10-18, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One location I know of has closed their large media section down, turning it into a single two-sided waterfall shelf.

From what I've been told, media probably won't have its own dedicated section anymore in some locations.