Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Twilight Time $10 off Blu-ray sale - April 8-22,2016

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-16, 01:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Twilight Time $10 off Blu-ray sale - April 8-22,2016

Originally Posted by joltman
I don't know about you, but I never thought 'I'd like to get this movie, but I'll just get a similar movie because it's cheaper'. Does anybody do that?
I don't know about a "similar movie," but I have definitely passed on good catalog titles I've wanted in favor of sale items. During this Twilight Time sale I ended up passing on a few more titles I wanted because "Sons of Anarchy: The Complete Series" was being offered by Amazon for $89.00. So I jumped at that deal rather than the Twilight Time stuff.

I understand what the previous poster was saying about Twilight Time. There are companies like Shout/Scream Factory, Kino/Lorber, Arrow, Olive Films, Image, Echo Bridge and Mill Creek licensing and putting out catalog titles at far more reasonable prices and at quantities that can serve a larger audience. Although I really do not like Twilight Time's model I have reluctantly taken the plunge only on "must-haves" while I will blind buy from the other companies. I am dreading the announcement for "Moby Dick" because it is definitely a "must-have" for my collection. I will likely have to pre-order and pay full retail for that without the luxury of reading reviews before the purchase.

Last edited by AaronSch; 04-30-16 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-30-16, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Not every movie sold is to a die-hard fan of that specific film. The studios have better data but the kind of older niche fare that Twilight Time specializes in sells as much to fans that appreciate classic cinema in general as it does to a direct fan of the movie. Movie collectors like building their collections often through focusing on a genre or time period.

I have a number of 70's horror movies in my collection that only mildly entertain me. My fondness for the period drives me to take many blind gambles and movies with only a passing interest from me. I can promise you that much of TT's catalog falls along similar lines for its customers.
Old 05-01-16, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Not every movie sold is to a die-hard fan of that specific film. The studios have better data but the kind of older niche fare that Twilight Time specializes in sells as much to fans that appreciate classic cinema in general as it does to a direct fan of the movie. Movie collectors like building their collections often through focusing on a genre or time period.

I have a number of 70's horror movies in my collection that only mildly entertain me. My fondness for the period drives me to take many blind gambles and movies with only a passing interest from me. I can promise you that much of TT's catalog falls along similar lines for its customers.
That's the only thing that bugs me about this type of model. Instead of being available to rent these kinds of movies to see if you would want to own them, you have to blind buy them at $20 to $30 a pop.

I am sure many of the movies in our collections came from the old days of VHS rentals where you could find all kinds of odd movies to rent. If you liked them enough you remembered them and eventually bought them on DVD or BD. Even DVD had a solid rental market for almost everything released. But now on BD, redbox only carries newer releases and Netflix doesn't buy any Twilight Time, Scream Factory, Arrow, etc. releases for rental.

Unless many of these "niche" movies move to streaming for rental (some are but most either aren't available or are available in a VHS quality stream), most are going to simply be forgotten after BD dies.
Old 05-01-16, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
That's the only thing that bugs me about this type of model. Instead of being available to rent these kinds of movies to see if you would want to own them, you have to blind buy them at $20 to $30 a pop.

I am sure many of the movies in our collections came from the old days of VHS rentals where you could find all kinds of odd movies to rent. If you liked them enough you remembered them and eventually bought them on DVD or BD. Even DVD had a solid rental market for almost everything released. But now on BD, redbox only carries newer releases and Netflix doesn't buy any Twilight Time, Scream Factory, Arrow, etc. releases for rental.

Unless many of these "niche" movies move to streaming for rental (some are but most either aren't available or are available in a VHS quality stream), most are going to simply be forgotten after BD dies.
Labels like TT, Shout and Arrow are very much ensuring they get the most out of disc media -- and disc media collectors -- for as long as they can, so it's smart of them to withhold their titles from streaming (legal streaming, anyway), at least for now, or to make them available only in low-rez, limited time streams, as Shout does occasionally. I don't think anything will be forgotten after BD, though. As has always been the case with movies, the circle of fans for any given film will always contract as it ages. The mainstream might collectively forget, but fans don't, even as streaming probably marginalizes us even further. That's what keeps the niche labels afloat, frankly.

The DVD/rental era, though, absolutely was the last good time to sample as many movies as possible to see if they were worth owning on the next format, so those that didn't or couldn't take advantage kinda missed the boat, but there are still plenty opportunities for bargain sampling of discs out there, via Amazon, the marketplace, or perhaps your local library. Certainly some (though not all, sadly) of TT's titles can still be had affordably on DVD -- even used -- if one just wants to sample them and resell them, but for those that fetch hefty OOP prices now, TT's annual sale may be the only way to "see if it's worth owning" going forward. On the plus side, at least their titles retain their value on the secondary market, should you decide they're not worth keeping.
Old 05-01-16, 03:18 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I passed on the $10 off sale since First Men in the Moon sold out quickly. But Screen Archives has a sale for a free signed Harlock with the purchase of 5 TT titles, I went ahead and picked up the titles I wanted earlier plus Man in the Dark 3D.
http://www1.screenarchives.com/title...-PER-CUSTOMER/
Old 05-01-16, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Actual autograph, or a copy of one.
Old 05-01-16, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Twilight Time's pricing model made more sense when they first arrived on the scene. I simply don't think they are competitive anymore after seeing labels like Olive Films and Kino Lorber issue dozens of very similiar deep catalog fare at much cheaper price points.
Agree,at least for me.
I use to buy more Twilight Time tittles when I had more funds for media.
Some of their tittles are must own for me,Like The Driver.But most I can
live without owning.

But my $$$$ goes to Gohastings and Steelbooks from Target,Best buy and few other stores.
And Criterion sales and A few Arrow releases are on my radar.

Twilight Time sales are nice,but they are still kind of high for A blind buy for a lot of buyers.