Remains Of The Day
Strange Invaders
To Sir, With Love
Old 04-12-16, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts
Re: Twilight Time $10 off Blu-ray sale - April 8-22,2016

Originally Posted by andicus
Is there a link to their shipping rates for Canada?
Best bet is just to fill a cart and check out with Canada as the destination, but as has been pointed out , it'll cost a bit more than rates within the U.S. Really depends on how badly you want the discs -- Marketplace re-sellers on Amazon Canada routinely start their pricing around $50-$60 CDN (even when they're still in print!), and there's are no stores up here that carry them.

The only reason I can justify taking part in these American sales is because I set up two U.S. shipping locations several years back (a USPS postal box and a 'parcel pickup' service). Since I visit a particular border city at least every other weekend, it's an easy hop across the bridge to pick stuff up.

Depending on your location, that might be an option worth considering, as U.S. border cities are literally crawling with parcel pickup warehouses catering to Canadians (as well as USPS branches). We also have a shared account at a location in Niagara Falls, N.Y. If we figure we're going to make one of our occasional day-trip there (about an hour's drive) from Toronto for shopping/tourism, we'll simply ship packages ahead and pick them up when we get there.

Last edited by Brian T; 04-12-16 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-12-16, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
I picked up the following and compared to SAE, I was okay with the shipping price ($4.99 for 3 titles):

Black Widow
American Buffalo
Purple Rose of Cairo
And shipped, yeahie
Old 04-13-16, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Best bet is just to fill a cart and check out with Canada as the destination, but as has been pointed out , it'll cost a bit more than rates within the U.S. Really depends on how badly you want the discs -- Marketplace re-sellers on Amazon Canada routinely start their pricing around $50-$60 CDN (even when they're still in print!), and there's are no stores up here that carry them.

The only reason I can justify taking part in these American sales is because I set up two U.S. shipping locations several years back (a USPS postal box and a 'parcel pickup' service). Since I visit a particular border city at least every other weekend, it's an easy hop across the bridge to pick stuff up.

Depending on your location, that might be an option worth considering, as U.S. border cities are literally crawling with parcel pickup warehouses catering to Canadians (as well as USPS branches). We also have a shared account at a location in Niagara Falls, N.Y. If we figure we're going to make one of our occasional day-trip there (about an hour's drive) from Toronto for shopping/tourism, we'll simply ship packages ahead and pick them up when we get there.
It actually wasn't as bad as I expected. $7.99 to ship two movies. Both were $19.95, so even with exchange (which has thankfully improved a bit) it comes out to about $31 CDN per movie. I've been waiting ages for '1984' and "To Sir, with Love" is pricey everywhere.

I am close to the border, so I could use one of the parcel receivers, but for $7.99 it wouldn't be worth it.

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-13-16, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by andicus
I am close to the border, so I could use one of the parcel receivers, but for $7.99 it wouldn't be worth it.

Thanks for the info!
Definitely not worth it just to save a few bucks on one order, but having a U.S. mailing address will save you a lot more than that in the long run. In fact, the only drawback I've ever experienced is not being able to resist partaking in every sale that gets brought up in this forum, which does mean I spend a bit more than I really should from time to time.
Old 04-13-16, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, there have been a number of times when I could've purchased something to make it worthwhile.

It would also be handy in those instances where a seller will only ship to the USA.
Old 04-14-16, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't find a link, announcement, or anything about their sale at either site. Anybody got a link, suggestion, ???

Thanks.
Old 04-15-16, 11:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
And shipped, yeahie
And delivered yesterday. Packed in a little box with plenty of bubble, everything looked fantastic. Top notch, absolutely no complaints. Great job by Twilight Time all around. I know a lot of people are bugged by the limited edition stuff but for me, after Criterion and possibly Kino (it goes back and forth between Kino and TT for me), Twilight Time is a solid third if not second when it comes to Blu-ray publishers.
Old 04-15-16, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jon2
Can't find a link, announcement, or anything about their sale at either site. Anybody got a link, suggestion, ???
Hopefully this won't unleash the tinfoil hats again, since it's not really a social media thing, but it's definitely worth signing up for Twilight Time's email news releases. There's a box to enter your email address at the bottom of the home page at twilighttimemovies.com. I signed up years ago through SAE, but other than Facebook and Twitter, that's the only way to find out about these sales, as well as the signed editions which happen more frequently than some here might realize (if you're into that kinda thing, which I'm not). I'm sure they do fine business during these sales using only those venues for advertising (and of course folks posting threads about it in forums).

I noticed today that one of the last two titles under their "Going Fast" tab, DOGS OF WAR, is now gone (though still available at SAE at full price), leaving only VAMPIRES. Even though it didn't sell out instantly like they probably predicted it would, it's clearly on it's way out now, and I do recall hearing somewhere (?) that there won't be another TT pressing. I suppose that doesn't rule out Sony doing something with it, but it might be worth grabbing as insurance . . .
Old 04-16-16, 11:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got Scream and Scream Again, Strange Invaders and Count Yorga Vampire. I had thought these sold out at release like every other horror flick they've released. I guess their glory days are over. It's refreshing to get a sale like this and be able to get titles I really want.
Old 04-16-16, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
Got Scream and Scream Again, Strange Invaders and Count Yorga Vampire. I had thought these sold out at release like every other horror flick they've released. I guess their glory days are over. It's refreshing to get a sale like this and be able to get titles I really want.
These don't have quite the fan following or high regard of some of their other titles (that have sold out). I like "Scream" and "Yorga" to a degree (but I've been waffling about ordering them), and "Strange Invaders" was a bit of a disappoint when I watched on video back in the '80s (though I realy enjoyed the director's previous film "Strange Behavior" aka "Dead Kids").
Old 04-16-16, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

Count Yorga is great, I have always been fond of it as a distinctly non-Hammer vampire film from the early 70s.
Old 04-16-16, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

In for:

Harlock Space Pirate 3D
John Carpenter's Vampires
Mysterious Island
Shadows and Fog
Young Lions
Old 04-17-16, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

I had a cart full of about 8 to 10 titles but then weeded it down to four. It's just had to pull the trigger on 8 movies for over $160 dollars all at once. Plus I figured I would save some for later if they have another special. If they sell out of the ones I wanted, oh well.

I bought:

The Buddy Holly Story - I love Buddy Holly and this is just a great all around movie.

Flaming Star - I remembered liking this one as a kid (along with Love Me Tender) but haven't it since then (early 80's). The good reviews pushed me over the edge.

La Bamba - another one I haven't seen in probably 20 years but remembered watching it dozens of times on HBO. I figured it would pair well with The Buddy Holly Story.

When The Wind Blows/Jimmy Murakami: Non-Alien - Total blind buy. I didn't find a bad review and I tend to like depressing stories as this one was described. Any thoughts on this title from people here without giving anything away?

I waffled quite a bit on their other Elvis title Follow That Dream but the reviews were scathing for the movie itself. I am not a "madcap/silly" movie kind of guy so I decided to resist at this time. Getting that recent 60 disc Elvis Presley set has really made me appreciate the guy so much more than I already did. But I figured there are several other titles of his on BD that should probably be bought before this one from what I read. Any opinions on those that own this one?

Several others I wanted to possibly purchase but so many would be blind buys. I just can;t justify paying $20+ on blind buys when there are so many other cheaper titles out there that I still don't have that I would like. But then you sit and possibly lose it. Tough call sometimes.
Old 04-17-16, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

In for:

Alamo Bay
Bound For Glory
The Last Detail
Radio Days
The Killer Elite
Man Hunt

had no idea they re released The Big Heat and Thunderbolt & Lightfoot. Its a shame they weren't part of the sale, otherwise I would have been all over that. As it is, i'll probably still pick both up at some point.
Old 04-18-16, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I had a cart full of about 8 to 10 titles but then weeded it down to four. It's just had to pull the trigger on 8 movies for over $160 dollars all at once. Plus I figured I would save some for later if they have another special. If they sell out of the ones I wanted, oh well.

I bought:

The Buddy Holly Story - I love Buddy Holly and this is just a great all around movie.

Flaming Star - I remembered liking this one as a kid (along with Love Me Tender) but haven't it since then (early 80's). The good reviews pushed me over the edge.

La Bamba - another one I haven't seen in probably 20 years but remembered watching it dozens of times on HBO. I figured it would pair well with The Buddy Holly Story.

When The Wind Blows/Jimmy Murakami: Non-Alien - Total blind buy. I didn't find a bad review and I tend to like depressing stories as this one was described. Any thoughts on this title from people here without giving anything away?

I waffled quite a bit on their other Elvis title Follow That Dream but the reviews were scathing for the movie itself. I am not a "madcap/silly" movie kind of guy so I decided to resist at this time. Getting that recent 60 disc Elvis Presley set has really made me appreciate the guy so much more than I already did. But I figured there are several other titles of his on BD that should probably be bought before this one from what I read. Any opinions on those that own this one?

Several others I wanted to possibly purchase but so many would be blind buys. I just can;t justify paying $20+ on blind buys when there are so many other cheaper titles out there that I still don't have that I would like. But then you sit and possibly lose it. Tough call sometimes.
I thought it was very good.

Have you seen Threads?
Old 04-18-16, 02:28 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
[b]The Buddy Holly Story
[b]Flaming Star
Both excellent choices.

Flaming Star, IMO, is Elvis' best movie by far. Heck, it's just a great little western, not just an "Elvis movie"..reminiscent of a good John Ford flick. I believe Don Siegel directed; that may explain the high quality (along with the excellent cast). I've seen this one multiple times over the years, and it holds up really well.

Sad part is that it shows the potential Elvis had for a movie career (which may have become his career priority had the Colonel not ruined that aspect with the ridiculous formula flicks churned out during the 60's...which, along with the horrible songs produced for the movies, helped to shoot his recording career in the foot while 60's pop music took off).

Wish I had an opinion on FTD but don't remember anything about it...probably because it just gets blurred in with so many of his later movies.
Old 04-20-16, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I received my movies, today. I was surprised to see they valued them at $5 on the invoice. While I appreciate that, I'm also surprised that they would do it.
Old 04-20-16, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,210 Likes on 4,236 Posts

Ordered

1 x Buddy Holly Story, The (Blu-ray)
$19.95
1 x Remains Of The Day, The (Blu-ray)
$19.95
1 x Fabulous Baker Boys, The (Blu-ray)
$19.95

I'm happy with that. Wish I hadn't missed out on Hawaii though.
Old 04-20-16, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

Got mine in today. Looking forward to watching them. The Buddy Holly Story wasn't sealed which is strange but it appears in perfect condition.

My copy of Flaming Star though has a large crease in the front of the booklet. I try not to be too picky about those kids of things but they do irritate me a little since I bought it new. Have any of you had that happen before on a booklet? Did you contact them or just lived with it?
Old 04-20-16, 02:57 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

They say you can send a picture of the packaging and they will replace the booklet or other packaging.
Old 04-20-16, 03:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

..I picked up "Salvador"...wish "chato's land" was reduced..would love to pick that one up...
Old 04-20-16, 03:50 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I whittled my potential order from 7 to 4 movies, and the shipping remained at $10.99

While I was double checking that I didn't already own Oliver, no more than a couple minutes, somehow my order timed out and the cart was emptied. This is the same cart that I had been using for the past week deciding what to order. I gave up for now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.