Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Blu ray players

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-16, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: Best Blu ray players

Yeah, my original Fatboy died, but the slim has been fine. It streams wirelessly much better than either of my Xboxes as well.
Old 02-16-16, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
PS3 & PS4.

I only ever had my PS3 crap out on my once and it was one of the "fatties." I got a slim and that's worked fine for the last 5-6 years. No problems with the PS4.
My major issue with both PS3 and PS4 is the lack of Harmony compatibility. It's worse on the PS4 because there are ways around it on the PS3. At least they finally, finally released a dedicated remote for the PS4, so it may be semi usable (unless you like using a constantly lit-up controller to control your Blu-ray player)
Old 02-16-16, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
I disagree with the PS3 being a great BD player - mines crap out with the Red Rings of Death after less than 2 years of use.
I think you are confusing that with the Xbox 360
Old 02-16-16, 07:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
My major issue with both PS3 and PS4 is the lack of Harmony compatibility. It's worse on the PS4 because there are ways around it on the PS3. At least they finally, finally released a dedicated remote for the PS4, so it may be semi usable (unless you like using a constantly lit-up controller to control your Blu-ray player)
I'm a Harmony user and it does piss me off both 3 and 4 aren't compatible. What pisses me off more is that the PS4 remote doesn't always work, like with Vidu. It's annoying as hell it doesn't work as good as the PS3 remote works with its system.
Old 02-16-16, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I think you are confusing that with the Xbox 360
oh yeah, I meant YLOD (Yellow light of Death) for the PS3.
Old 02-16-16, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm still rocking my launch PS3
Old 02-16-16, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I do. I don't know what Harmony is and I am aware about the dedicated remote for the PS4 but it is too bad that it's a piece of shit control from a 3rd party. I wish Sony had developed one just like they did for the PS3. Until then the control it comes with is fine with me.
Old 02-16-16, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

I don't know the process, but I've read the only way to extract an audio SACD for burning to dvd-r is with a PS2.
Old 02-16-16, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
I don't know the process, but I've read the only way to extract an audio SACD for burning to dvd-r is with a PS2.
It's early PS3 units with firmware below 3.55 that allow you the chance to rip SACDs.

My original PS3 launch unit still plays Blu-ray movies flawlessly but it only saw one video game played on it in over a decade. There have been reports they die sooner from video game usage.
Old 02-17-16, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
I disagree with the PS3 being a great BD player - mines crap out with the Red Rings of Death after less than 2 years of use.
That's about my track record for longevity of a PS3. (I would not recommend buying a refurb).

I'm on my second PS3. I had the first one for a few years and it stopped playing BDs. The second one is starting to go - have to insert a disk 5 to 10 times to get it to work.

Luckily I got a Sony for Christmas, I think it was @120 bucks and it's tiny...like 1/2 the size of the PS3. Netflix is a little wobbly - seems to steam better on PS3 with fewer dropouts, but BD picture is very very nice.

I did consider Oppo, but since I'm pretty much vested in region A, wasn't worth the jing.
Old 02-18-16, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

I got my PS3 used over two years ago and it's still going strong.
Old 02-20-16, 07:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For music I use a Sony BDP BX-38. It plays CD, CD-R, BD Audio, Audio DVD (but not DVD-A), SACD, SACR-R, and WAV + MP3 from the USB drive. Bought it a few years back at Costco - can't recall how much I paid, but I'm sure it was < $50. I've never had a problem with it, and my only complaint is that it doesn't play FLAC files.
I'm holding on to it for dear life because only a few of the new models play SACD, and none play SACD-R. Also, the new ones don't have L/R RCA connectors (which my amp needs).

For video I use a Seiki SR212S. It plays everything: the region hacks allow it to play DVD's & BD's from any region. Got it at a K-Mart for about $15 a few years back. People have complained of these having short lifespans due to what amounts to basically rubber-band drives in them. But so far, I've had no problems or complaints - and I love the thing to death.
Again - I'm holding on for dear life because the newer Seiki's were not as well reviewed...and inexpensive all-region players are getting scarcer by the day.
Old 11-25-19, 02:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But why not buy one Eelphone Blu Ray Player to play blu ray videos on computer, cost the less than other blu ray drive player, just download the blu ray player on computer, and then insert blu ray disc into the computer, load the video into the blu ray player to play the original blu ray videos.
Old 11-25-19, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Oppo.

Yeah sure, spend $500 and get a piece of shit after a few years which MIGHT play blu-ray discs and little support for them. Don't buy Oppo. I did and it was a mistake. I listened to people who also said, "Oh yeah. Buy Oppo! They're the best!" Maybe they were the best, but what's the point of buying something nice if you can't use the thing later on when in this day and age, the proper firmware will make your device either compatible or a paper weight with current blu-ray discs.

Buy a Samsung. $100 or less.

Plays everything you throw at it. And if it, by chance, doesn't play discs after a few years, you're not out $500. My Cheapo Samsung plays Blu-rays with no issues. Accesses my PC FASTER than Oppo ever did. Loads Blu-ray discs FASTER than Oppo ever did. The only issue I have is the remote is very small. But I can live with that, as I saved $420 versus getting another Oppo and thinking I was cool while standing in line at a Starbucks, discussing tech with another dude.
My Oppo is 7 years old. Gets constant use. Only repair it's ever needed was when a power transformer across the street blew up & took out the power supply.
Old 11-25-19, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Speaking of which is there ANYTHING on the market in the quality range of the Oppo.5's (both audio & video) that plays all the formats that Oppo did?
Old 11-26-19, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Well, my BD player is the PS3, and while I think it's great, I wasn't going to recommend it without knowing whether the person is a last-gen gamer.
I also like the PS3 and I do not play that many games anymore. It has to be around 8 years old with no problems, and it really is not that slow for its age.
Also have a insignia blu ray players for playing other region disc. A old Oppo DVD player we bought from circuit city years ago.
I also bought a few used blu-ray players ($10/$15) from thrift stores over the years that work but are missing remote,I can always use a
universal remote. Not even sure of the brand without looking in a few boxes. They are just spares, yes it is time to clean house and give some away.

Speaking of which is there ANYTHING on the market in the quality range of the Oppo.5's (both audio & video) that plays all the formats that Oppo did?
If looking for a 4K Ultra player
I do not own, but the Panasonic DP-UB820 4K ultra gets a lot praise on the avsforum,some other forums and reviews as the best player. Does a really good job at upconverting blu-ray discs.
price just drop to $400.

I'm looking to buy the Panasonic - DP-UB420 for about $190. If not for the PS5 coming out next year I think I would just go with the
Panasonic DP-UB820 4K right now. And if the PS5 is lots better buy it or ?
I'm still researching and not 100% sure I'm even going 4K this year or ever. we will at least stream.
But the plan is to buy this player and maybe a XBox S deal at Target this BF. I like buying most of my electronics at Costco even though their warranty has changed.
I can use my Citi Visa from costco and they double the manufacturer warranty on a lot of electronics .
Not sure if includes game consoles and 4K players.They only sell one right now

Costco extends the manufacturer's warranty on Televisions, Tuner-Free Displays, Projectors, Computers* and Major Appliancesto 2 years from the date of purchase. See the manufacturer's warranty for specific coverage terms.
For warranty service, contact Costco Concierge Services at

And in a year or so get the PS5 an a bigger 4K tv or projector if the 4K ultra library improves.

Last edited by JoeySeven; 11-26-19 at 01:58 AM.
Old 11-26-19, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

I also used a PS3 exclusively for blu-ray. I have since upgraded to an Oppo 4K player and have been very satisfied.

Edit: Ha, didn't notice that this was a spam bump.
Old 11-26-19, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I ever need to replace the Oppo, for vid I want blu, dvd , & files with great upsampling. For audio: cd, dvd-a, SACD, 24 bit flac & dsd. Audio iso's would be a bonus. Region free (with a mod if nessecary) would be appreciated AFAIK, Oppo was it for all of that, especially with quality audio.
Old 11-26-19, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

The universal player market has collapsed with Oppo's exit - that is why their 4K players still command inflated pricing on eBay.
Old 11-26-19, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The universal player market has collapsed with Oppo's exit - that is why their 4K players still command inflated pricing on eBay.
That's what I thought & was afraid of. They were a steal at the price as an audio only player due to the quality. With the video added........ I wish I could have afforded to get a 205 when they were selling the last of them; & I would have also kept my 95 for region free on blu & iso playback.