Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Blu ray players

Old 02-15-16, 03:32 AM
Cool New Member

Best Blu ray players

Which blu ray players do you like Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Sony or other one ??
Old 02-15-16, 07:13 AM

Re: Best Blu ray players

Oppo
Old 02-15-16, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oppo.

Yeah sure, spend $500 and get a piece of shit after a few years which MIGHT play blu-ray discs and little support for them. Don't buy Oppo. I did and it was a mistake. I listened to people who also said, "Oh yeah. Buy Oppo! They're the best!" Maybe they were the best, but what's the point of buying something nice if you can't use the thing later on when in this day and age, the proper firmware will make your device either compatible or a paper weight with current blu-ray discs.

Buy a Samsung. $100 or less.

Plays everything you throw at it. And if it, by chance, doesn't play discs after a few years, you're not out $500. My Cheapo Samsung plays Blu-rays with no issues. Accesses my PC FASTER than Oppo ever did. Loads Blu-ray discs FASTER than Oppo ever did. The only issue I have is the remote is very small. But I can live with that, as I saved $420 versus getting another Oppo and thinking I was cool while standing in line at a Starbucks, discussing tech with another dude.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 02-15-16 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-15-16, 10:18 AM

If you've got money to burn, by all means go for something like Oppo. But if not, I think you're safe with anything from Sony, LG, or Samsung. I like Panasonic, too. If you don't need streaming, there's an LG at Wallymart (BP 155) right now for $45. You can buy about 11 of these for the cost of one Oppo. If you need wifi and streaming, you pay another $20-30. I have a $40 LG (BP 125) from three years ago that's still going strong. Do the math and make your choice.
Old 02-15-16, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not to be pedantic, but wouldn't this thread be better served in the equipment forum? More people might see it there.

Just wondering.
Old 02-15-16, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rbrown498 View Post
Not to be pedantic, but wouldn't this thread be better served in the equipment forum? More people might see it there.

Just wondering.
Well, more people would probably see it here , but you're right in that it'd be more appropriate in the equipment/hardware subforum.
Old 02-15-16, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another vote for not spending hundreds of dollars on an exotic machine. I've got two $80 Sony machines that I have had for several years and work great. They play every disc I have ever thrown at them. When they fail, I will throw them out and get another comparable player. I can get 6 of them for the cost of that one $500 Oppo. Almost forgot, for $80 Sony also included an HDMI cable.
Old 02-15-16, 11:01 AM

I have an Oppo BDP-103. Yes it cost $500 + shipping, but there is a big demand for used Oppo players on eBay. Once I've done with it, I should get about 80% of the gross price returned with an eBay sale, just as I did with my last Oppo. Additionally, the support has been first class, both BD and DVD look great on my 70" 4K monitor, and I use the streaming capability of this unit daily.

Of course when talking BD players, most people think that whatever they have is the best and there's no reasoning with them!

Last edited by MrBill; 02-15-16 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-15-16, 11:08 AM

it all depends on what you are looking for.

If the ONLY thing you are looking for is to play region A blu-rays, then the oppo is nuts. You can get a decent BD player for $80.

If, however, you are looking for

1) best upconverted DVD player to play on a large screen (where you would notice the difference the most)
2) Region free DVD player
3) region free BD player

Then the oppo is worth it, imho.

I have hundreds of non-region 1 DVDs and a few non-A region BDs, a 70" TV and a 120" front projection system. So, to me, the oppo is the best for my situation.

YMMW.
Old 02-15-16, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by MrBill View Post

Of course when arguing BD players, most people think that whatever they have is the best and there's no arguing with them!
Agreed!

Used is the best way to go for sure if wanting some higher priced products.
Old 02-15-16, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, my BD player is the PS3, and while I think it's great, I wasn't going to recommend it without knowing whether the person is a last-gen gamer.
Old 02-15-16, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Oppo is fine if you know what you are getting into and looking for a premium player. I think mass-market consumers would be better off with a Panasonic or Sony.
Old 02-15-16, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, Oppo isn't worth their price. But I guess if you want the best player for upscaling DVD's, plays SACD and all of that stuff, then go for it. But the basic blu players these days play blu rays every bit as good.
Old 02-15-16, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree Oppo is overpriced. I owned the first Oppo blu-ray player and won't buy another. Tech just moves too fast. Changes in the HDMI "standard" (what a damn joke), 3D, 4K etc. Plan on an upgrade every 2 - 5 years and decide what you can afford based on that criteria.
Old 02-15-16, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Oppo 95 with the mod hariseldon mentions is the best br player I've ever seen; + the audio section alone would easily be worth the 1k. The video of the 105 is supposed to be better. Does anyone know if there is a region mod for the 103/105? The mod for the 95 has been unavailable (afaik) for several years.
Old 02-15-16, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yes, there is a mod for the 103/105. If I still had an Oppo, I'd get something from: http://www.bluraychip.dk/

There are less expensive ways, but this is hassle-free and I haven't heard about people having issues.
Old 02-15-16, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
Yep, Oppo isn't worth their price. But I guess if you want the best player for upscaling DVD's, plays SACD and all of that stuff, then go for it. But the basic blu players these days play blu rays every bit as good.
Brought a Yamaha DVD-S1800BL 1080p Upconverting DVD SACD Player from Amazon Warehouse deals for $60 that did those things.

Ended up giving it to my brother about 5 years ago and it's still going strong.

I still have the Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player I brought back in 12/2012. Only cost be $70 back then.
Old 02-15-16, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another vote for PS3.
Old 02-16-16, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Yes, there is a mod for the 103/105. If I still had an Oppo, I'd get something from: http://www.bluraychip.dk/

There are less expensive ways, but this is hassle-free and I haven't heard about people having issues.
I much prefer this mod.. easy, safe and cheap
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPPO-BDP-103...item2578edfe8e
Old 02-16-16, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Well, my BD player is the PS3, and while I think it's great, I wasn't going to recommend it without knowing whether the person is a last-gen gamer.
Yeah, the PS3 is my blu-ray player choice too. And I'm not a gamer...
Old 02-16-16, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd agree the Sony PS3 is a great Blu-ray player.
Old 02-16-16, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went with a Sony as my first blu-ray player and it's still going strong years later after almost daily use. I'll probably go with another Sony or a Samsung as a replacement for it.
Old 02-16-16, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo View Post
The Oppo 95 with the mod hariseldon mentions is the best br player I've ever seen; + the audio section alone would easily be worth the 1k. The video of the 105 is supposed to be better. Does anyone know if there is a region mod for the 103/105? The mod for the 95 has been unavailable (afaik) for several years.
Moo x 4,

Do you need the 93/95 mod? I have the external mod. I am holding on to my ISO-capable 93 until the UHD player comes out later this year, but I can probably let the mod go a few months early. I have enough Region A/1 material to keep me going for awhile.
Old 02-16-16, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I disagree with the PS3 being a great BD player - mines crap out with the Red Rings of Death after less than 2 years of use.
Old 02-16-16, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

PS3 & PS4.

I only ever had my PS3 crap out on my once and it was one of the "fatties." I got a slim and that's worked fine for the last 5-6 years. No problems with the PS4.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.