Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Walmart Black Friday 2015

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-15, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Walmart Black Friday 2015

The two I were wanting (Aladdin & Tomorrowland) are both alive on the website right now for pickup only. Got an order in.
Old 11-27-15, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I was surprised as I went out to Walmart last night a little before 9 and my store wasn't that bad at all. It was busy but it wasn't nearly as chaotic as it has been in years past. I only wound up getting two things (8-Bit Mario 30th Anniversary Amiibo figurine and Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare for X-Box One). Might go out again after work tonight or this weekend to see if there's anything left that I may have missed but nothing really jumped out at me.
That seems to be the case last night at many stores. I really like the Thursday night shopping, as opposed to waking up at 4 am & waiting in line for 2 hours.
Old 11-27-15, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I meandered down to Walmart this afternoon to pick up some bread and browse through the leftovers from the sale. I was surprised to see multiple desirable titles like Aladdin still sitting around, but only found a couple of movies I'd wanted after digging through the heaps.

One of those was Forest Gump, which happened to be the only copy left, and of course it had no sticker. And then the SKU number wasn't even in their inventory. And nobody could figure out what to do. Finally a manager walked by and said "It's an old title. Just give it to him for three bucks."

Worked out, but it definitely reminded me of why I do 95% of my shopping online!
Old 11-27-15, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Walmart seems to get less and less organized each year for Black Friday. By 10 AM this morning, one Walmart had already taken the leftover BDs from Black Friday and thrown them into a single bin. It was an utter disaster trying to hunt through this pile and made it virtually impossible to see anything beyond the stuff on the very top.

Say what you will about Walmart, but they ran a very tight retail operation 10-20 years ago. That is no longer true, they are coasting off inertia and lack of competition.
Old 11-27-15, 06:19 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Didn't get out to my local Walmarts until just now, and only found three of the 3D sale titles.
Was near one of them today so checked again and found a couple more. It was later in the day, and the media displays were in amazing disorder. Might have found a gem or two if I felt like looking thru every nook and cranny, but my daughter was bored silly and I decided getting a Christmas tree would be better use of our time.
Old 11-27-15, 08:11 PM

OMG!! For those in Southern California, the Walmart in Norwalk (Imperial Highway) has stock in EVERYTHING.

I saw at least five Aladdins, all the 3D movies, basically whatever is on their sale list. If you missed out on online deals, go and make yourself happy.
Old 11-27-15, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Ran to the Walmart nearest me while going to pick up my daughter from work.

They were out of Mad Max Fury Road 3D, but the tag scanned at $9.96 on their scanner. Hopefully it still holds up tomorrow (didn't feel like running across town tonight).
Old 11-27-15, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I found Hansel & Gretel 3D last night after work (along with 3D versions of Transformers Age of Extinction, and Spiders). I read about the "unadvertised" 3D releases after coming home, so I went back today after work and grabbed most of the ones I didn't already own.

It seems that the first three (plus Hercules 3D, and I, Frankenstein) are part of the red corrugated shippers that come in for the holiday. The other 3D movies are in the regular Electronics area if your store has a separate 3D section. I did just like b2net grabbed a bunch, and checked them at a price scanner. I will try one other store tomorrow that I know has the 3D section, but I don't think they carry anything different.
Old 11-28-15, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I stopped in at Walmart this afternoon. The store overall wasn't too crowded, but there was a mob of people around the BF BD/DVD displays. Though most of the crowd was around the DVDs.

I couldn't resist a bunch of the $3.96 BDs. For me, that's about as high as I go on most things. Picked up:

The Change-up
Cowboys & Aliens
Earth to Echo
Epic
The Expendables
The Expendables 2
Free Birds
Green Zone
The Hangover/The Hangover II (Double Feature)
Hansel & Gretel 3D
The Heat
Horton Hears a Who
Ice Age: A Mammoth Christmas Special
Jack the Giant Slayer
Journey 2 the Mysterious Island
Lawless
The Lucky One
Scott Pilgrim vs the World (Steelbook)
Snitch
Tower Heist
True Grit (John Wayne)

Did go ahead and grab Tomorrowland from the main media area for $9.96.

And on DVD:

Duck Dynasty: Season 6 - $3.96
House of Cards: Season 3 - $6.96 (this was labled with a black sticker, but rang up $9.96--cashier had no issues changing at the register)
Life/Frozen Planet set (BBC) for $9.96

Spent way more than I planned to, but happy with everything I picked up.

And I'm not in to the 3D yet (despite buying one 3D title), but I did check and my store had plenty of everything on the shelf. I checked a few and they rang up at sale prices.
Old 11-28-15, 02:37 AM

So jealous of those who got the 3D deals, at I am about Mad Max. I really wanted that.

I got everything I listed before plus more. Wish I'd found Snowpiercer and The Breakfast Club, and I was thinking of heading out again after the football game. However my Packers sucked big time again and I just felt like drinking instead.

$3.96 BD's
The Last Starfighter
Blues Brothers
16 Candles
12 Years A Slave
The Untouchables
South Park Bigger Longer & Uncut
Forrest Gump
Hansel & Gretl Witch Hunters 3D
The Green Mile
True Grit (John Wayne)
Gone Baby Gone
12 Monkeys
Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters 3D
The Grey
Kick-Ass 2
Face/Off
The Man With The Iron Fists
The Adjustment Bureau
Project Almanac

$6.96 BD's
Gremlins/Goonies 3 pack
Blade 3 Pack

$9.96
Transformers AOE 3D
Old 11-28-15, 08:57 AM

Are the BF sale on movies in stores still on today?

Last edited by DVDGamer; 11-28-15 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-28-15, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by DVDGamer
Are the BF sale on movies in stores still on today?
If the past few years are any indication, the "100 at xxx" type titles will still be out for sale at the BF price for a couple of days. But be fast... once they decide to take them down they do it quickly. Last year I went in on Sunday, picked up a few, got home and decided I'd go back on Monday for a couple of others only to find the displays were gone. Year before last they were up for a week or so.
Old 11-28-15, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm a little pissedd I couldn't find aladdin or book of life.
Old 11-28-15, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Ravenous
I'm a little pissedd I couldn't find aladdin or book of life.
On this note. Has anyone lucked out signing up their email if stock comes in? I'm even wondering what my chances would be.
Old 11-28-15, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Either Walmart pulled their stock of the 3D Blurays, or some jackass cleaned out all three Springfield stores. Oh well, probably will never have a 3D TV anyway ...
Old 11-28-15, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by IJMSPORT
OMG!! For those in Southern California, the Walmart in Norwalk (Imperial Highway) has stock in EVERYTHING.
I think this was the case in a store I visited in Michigan as well, including all the 3D titles (though some digging was required for a couple of 'em). Probably could've skipped a few things online, actually, but I'm just happy not to have bothered responding like some lab rat to Amazon's Lightning Deals this year for titles that were so plentiful in stores (and their websites) at the exact same prices. Even the nearby Best Buy seemed to have just about everything still in stock, either on the special standees or on the racks. Couldn't help but feel some of these retailers might have overstocked their stores without predicting how big a factor online shopping would be this year.

Also nice to discover that the matching discs on Walmart's regular racks in the electronics section were also priced according to their counterparts on the BF standees, as those still had slipcovers in most cases, for those who might be into such things.
Old 11-28-15, 09:23 PM

It definitely was cool to see, but me going into stores at all on BF is very atypical. I was in the area and just decided to see if I could find Blackhat and Gunman. Had no idea that store would as stocked as it was.

I'll visit them again next year, but it will be secondary to what I do online (though I have zero intention on using Walmarts website next BF).
Old 11-29-15, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The two I were wanting (Aladdin & Tomorrowland) are both alive on the website right now for pickup only. Got an order in.
I placed an order for Aladdin for store pickup around the same time as you, and I just got an email that it was cancelled due to them not having any stock.
Old 11-29-15, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I headed to the store an hour or so after ordering. Didn't want to wait on an email. Saw they had plenty of both. Stood in line for 15 minutes and got my pick-up email as the girl was finishing up with the customer in front of me.
Old 11-29-15, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I stopped by today and the Wal-mart near my apartment had plenty of discs left. I picked up:

Life of Pi Blu-ray for $3.96
True Grit (John Wayne) Blu-ray for $3.96
Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters Blu-ray for $3.96
The Adjustment Bureau Blu-ray for $3.96
The Wolverine Blu-ray for $3.96
The Expendables 2 Blu-ray for $3.96
Ender's Game Blu-ray for $6.96
Old 11-29-15, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Yeah, same here. Walmart had a ton of Black Friday dvds and blu-rays today (Sunday).

I don't know how much they had out Thurs/Fri, but it looked like they still had a ton of stuff left over. I picked up Machete Kills on blu for $3.96, and that was it. Seemed like they had a lot c-list material, and the "good" stuff (relatively speaking) was priced at $9.96.
Old 11-29-15, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Unfortunately Life of Pi & Percy Jackson 3D versions were not marked down like many of the other titles that matched the bf price.
Old 11-30-15, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I went back one more time this morning to see if there was anything that I missed and picked up 9 more discs.... I may have a disc buying problem.... There is still a ton of inventory at my local Wal-mart, but an employee walked up with a cart and started loading discs up. So they are either moving them or shipping them back...

I picked up:

Bridesmaids DVD/Blu-ray in a DVD case for $3.96
Sixteen Candles Blu-ray for $3.96
Collateral Blu-ray for $3.96
The Green Mile Blu-ray for $3.96
Argo Blu-ray for $3.96
Mud Blu-ray for $3.96
Jackass Presents Bad Grandpa Unrated Blu-ray for $3.96
The Change-Up Unrated Blu-ray for $3.96
Warrior Blu-ray for $3.96
Old 11-30-15, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, same here. Walmart had a ton of Black Friday dvds and blu-rays today (Sunday).

I don't know how much they had out Thurs/Fri, but it looked like they still had a ton of stuff left over... Seemed like they had a lot c-list material, and the "good" stuff (relatively speaking) was priced at $9.96.
Same here, same day. Anything I was remotely interested in was more than I was willing to pay. All the titles I really wanted I'd already picked up from Amazon for the same price or less.

I picked up a copy of Sixteen Candles and put it back when I didn't find anything else I was interested in purchasing. I figure that by the time I'd get around to watching it I can pick it up anywhere for that price...