Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

B&N 50% off Criterion blu-ray sale now live from June 30 through July 28

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-14, 10:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: B&N 50% off Criterion blu-ray sale now live from June 30 through July 28

Light haul this round as I have most of everything I want already

Scanners x 2 (picked one up for Dullboy)
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
A Hard Day's Night
The Life Aquatic

Picking up Insomnia tomorrow. And that's about it.
Old 07-23-14, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I picked up:

The Life Aquatic
Bottle Rocket
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Freshman
Old 07-23-14, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Picked up Insomnia. I reckon I'm done with the sale, my usual get a couple. (My other was Thief). This also was my first time to use their web reserve form. That worked out horribly, lol. The guy couldn't find my copy and luckily one was just sitting there on display so I bought that one instead. The guy was not very smart though, so it was probably his fault more than anything.
Old 07-23-14, 12:56 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

I got what i wanted and i am happy with that, but i so wish The Big Chill was included in this deal. i want that movie so bad, but don't think i want to pay $34 or whatever. this would have been perfect, but Insomnia and Scanners will suffice.
Old 07-23-14, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I got what i wanted and i am happy with that, but i so wish The Big Chill was included in this deal. i want that movie so bad, but don't think i want to pay $34 or whatever. this would have been perfect, but Insomnia and Scanners will suffice.
November's right around the corner.

I'll be lucky if I watch even half of the stuff I picked up in this sale by then.
Old 07-23-14, 04:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Shagrath

I'll be lucky if I watch even half of the stuff I picked up in this sale by then.
true true.
Old 07-23-14, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Make that November 2016 and it will be me you will be describing :-)
Old 07-23-14, 04:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

snagged Insomnia this afterward - I'm done ... I swear... really...
Old 07-23-14, 05:23 PM
Banned

Just a tip for those buying in-store...you can check online to see if the store has what you want in-stock (and can put a hold on it to be picked up). Also, don't forget to ask if you don't see it.

When I was looking for Hard Day's Night, there were none on the shelves but the clerk pulled three from beneath the counter.
Old 07-23-14, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Just a tip for those buying in-store...you can check online to see if the store has what you want in-stock (and can put a hold on it to be picked up). Also, don't forget to ask if you don't see it.
Do you know if checking that way means the store has more than one copy?

A lot of what I was wanting to get at my local store either had shattered cases or were crushed on one side (probably due to shipping). I was curious if a store shows an item 'In Stock', if that means they have more than one copy available?
Old 07-24-14, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Sale time is usually what shames me into finally giving my purchases from past sales a watch. And when I enjoy them, as happened with all the ones I've watched in the last couple weeks, that just encourages me to buy yet more stuff blind.

Sometimes it feels like homework when I have to force myself to watch something that's 'good for me', but it's the best kind of homework.
Old 07-24-14, 06:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Do you know if checking that way means the store has more than one copy?

A lot of what I was wanting to get at my local store either had shattered cases or were crushed on one side (probably due to shipping). I was curious if a store shows an item 'In Stock', if that means they have more than one copy available?
It just says "In stock." Doesn't indicate how many copies.

Of course, even then, they might have a hard time finding it or the inventory list could be wrong. Usually, though, it's the opposite problem...stores say the item is out of stock when a copy (or several copies) remain on the shelves. Guess that's better from the store standpoint than having an irate customer show up to pick up an item only to be told that it's not available.
Old 07-24-14, 06:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Sometimes it feels like homework when I have to force myself to watch something that's 'good for me', but it's the best kind of homework.
That's what my Criterion-buying buddy keeps saying about "Blue is the Warmest Color."
Old 07-24-14, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
That's what my Criterion-buying buddy keeps saying about "Blue is the Warmest Color."
I bought that recently and just about put it in but haven't followed through yet. Maybe by the summer of '15 sale. I told myself that I was going to buy less Criterions during this period than the usual 10-12 that I usually buy so I only bought 18.
Old 07-24-14, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I bought that recently and just about put it in but haven't followed through yet. Maybe by the summer of '15 sale. I told myself that I was going to buy less Criterions during this period than the usual 10-12 that I usually buy so I only bought 18.
If you won't watch it by then, you probably could've waited for the SE.
Old 07-24-14, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
If you won't watch it by then, you probably could've waited for the SE.
Yea, I thought about that but it doesn't look like a special edition is imminent. I couldn't even find a speculative date for it or any real talk about it other than that it would eventually come out.
Old 07-24-14, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Yea, I thought about that but it doesn't look like a special edition is imminent. I couldn't even find a speculative date for it or any real talk about it other than that it would eventually come out.
True. I only bring it up as you are still in the return window and can always rebuy in one of the next sales if no info has come out. It seems unlikely that it will go up in price or OOP any time soon.
Old 07-24-14, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Also thanks to hariseldon. Ordered (all Blu):

Scanners
A Hard Day's Night
Throne of Blood
The Hidden Fortress
Zatoichi box set
Just got delivered to my house. Very fast (considering I picked the cheapest shipping option). All items appear to be in perfect condition.

Are all new Criterions these Blu-Ray/DVD combo sets? Or it just coincidence that everything I ordered was like that? I wouldn't have thought Criterion would care about dual format. They're an upscale company with more of a niche clientele, and dual formats struck me as the kind of thing to appeal more to the Joe Six Packs of movie buying (who aren't quite sure what format they want). No biggie since it doesn't add to the price. But it does add a bit of weight to the sets (especially the Zatoichi set, needing 27 discs instead of just 9 Blu-Rays).
Old 07-24-14, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

The remaining retail outlets want dual-format releases, they are the ones driving that kind of release. For such a niche label with outside the mainstream choices, Criterion gets more retail space than other Blu-ray distributors.
Old 07-24-14, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Just got delivered to my house. Very fast (considering I picked the cheapest shipping option). All items appear to be in perfect condition.

Are all new Criterions these Blu-Ray/DVD combo sets? Or it just coincidence that everything I ordered was like that? I wouldn't have thought Criterion would care about dual format. They're an upscale company with more of a niche clientele, and dual formats struck me as the kind of thing to appeal more to the Joe Six Packs of movie buying (who aren't quite sure what format they want). No biggie since it doesn't add to the price. But it does add a bit of weight to the sets (especially the Zatoichi set, needing 27 discs instead of just 9 Blu-Rays).
That was a regular practice, but they recently decided to go back to separate releases for DVD and BluRay.
Old 07-24-14, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Guess I wasn't done after all. The copy of Purple Noon I ordered in the final hours of the coupon eligibility came in with a busted case. I had planned to got to the store and swap it for one that intact (a trip which would have effectively negated any savings from using the coupon), but decided instead to just return that one and then use another 5/$50 coupon for 3 more- including the replacement.

Funny that a day or two ago I thought I was all done, yet today I had a hard time narrowing my selections down again.
In addition to Purple Noon I picked up Jules & Jim (hated it the first time I tired to watch it, but I'm in the mood to give it another chance), and Last Temptation Of Christ.
LToC was a wild card choice. Had no interest in it whatsoever until tonight, but I liked the idea of supplementing my viewing choices with something spiritually challenging and provocative.
It was down to that or Ministry of Fear, but the light package and the fact I have plenty of noir thrillers already to watch seemed to make it a weaker choice.
Old 07-24-14, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I picked up Jules & Jim (hated it the first time I tired to watch it, but I'm in the mood to give it another chance)
yeah I really despised Jules & Jim too. I don't know that I'm ready to give it a second chance though. 2 hours of horrible, mundane people making horrible, mundane choices. I don't have the desire to see it again. I'm in the same boat with Godard's "Weekend". I find it hard to accept that the man who made "Contempt, "Band of Outsiders", "Alphaville", "Breathless" "Pierrot Le Fou" and "Vivre Sa Vie" also made "Weekend" and "2 or 3 Things I Know About Her" in the same time period. Films that occupy a polar opposite between LOVE and HATE for me.
Old 07-25-14, 11:05 AM

I've been buying in the B&N Criterion sale for some years now, importing to the UK, but a box of 10 arrived this week - clearly marked at full retail price not the sale price - after I'd paid the duty and ransom of some £70 (around $120). Before the box arrived, but after I'd paid the duty, I had an online chat with a B&N rep whose tactic was simply to deny they'd done anything wrong, and they'd marked the goods correctly.

With the proof now in my hands, I've since politely emailed B&N customer service three times. I don't really mind paying duty if I must, but paying DOUBLE the duty because of their error is just not on. Their tactic now appears to simply ignore me. Not good at all; I've spent $100s with them, but no more.
Old 07-25-14, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

According to Criterion, B&N definitely won't be extending the sale---

Dear Criterion collectors,

This weekend is your last chance to save big at Barnes & Noble. Online and in stores, all Criterion Collection Blu-rays and DVDs are 50% off through Monday, July 28.

It’s the perfect chance to stock up on those classic movies you’ve always wanted, or to pick up some of our new titles, such as the dazzling collector’s set The Essential Jacques Demy, which features six of the beloved French master’s greatest films, including the candy-colored musical drama The Umbrellas of Cherbourg; the chilling Scandinavian thriller Insomnia, with Stellan Skarsgård; and our jam-packed, restored and remastered edition of Richard Lester’s iconic Beatles comedy A Hard Day’s Night.

Happy shopping!

Old 07-25-14, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Oh well, its only until the next sale which is around the corner in November. Same titles + more titles + same pricing + same coupons...so no need to hurry at all. The only risk here is if B&N shuts shop as a company

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.