Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Star Trek Into Darkness (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy) $16.99 @ DD

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-13, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy) $16.99 @ DD

Missing in the coverage about this is what J.J. Abrams has to say about this; has anyone queried him? Yeah, he's busy prepping Star Wars, but he can make time to yes-or-no answer, "Do you approve of the extras being scattered across multiple retailers requiring fans to by multiple copies?"

I used to be a big Foo Fighters fan - I repeat, USED TO BE - when Sony slathered their rootkit DRM on one of their releases. That Mr. Punk Rock, Mr. Indie Cred, Mr. I Was The Drummer In Nirvana didn't step up and demand this crap not be put on his record indicated he hated his paying customers as much as the label did or he'd rather bend over for The Man than anger them for opposing their anti-customer tactics.

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Comparing DVD/BD extras to the mistreatment of animals makes it hard for me to take you serious. Those First World problems...
It's even harder to take seriously someone who grasps for any sliver of anything to dismiss someone's arguments. If I'd said, "It's like someone raising the alarm about a poor meat plant inspections leading to food poisoning and sniffing, "Who cares? I'm a vegan," what would you have done? We get it. Paramount can rip off customers and you're cool with it as long as you aren't affected. Posting Louis CK pictures to substitute for your own words is so Reddit.
Old 09-01-13, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
Missing in the coverage about this is what J.J. Abrams has to say about this; has anyone queried him? Yeah, he's busy prepping Star Wars, but he can make time to yes-or-no answer, "Do you approve of the extras being scattered across multiple retailers requiring fans to by multiple copies?"
The TrekCore site has suggested that BAD ROBOT may have more to do with all the retailer exclusives than PARAMOUNT does.
Old 09-01-13, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

I fail to see how this is new. Music artists occasionally release albums where diffreentstores have different bonus tracks. I don't recall much "OMG, if the songs are recorded, every song must be on every album" outcry.
Old 09-02-13, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

It's even harder to take seriously someone who grasps for any sliver of anything to dismiss someone's arguments. If I'd said, "It's like someone raising the alarm about a poor meat plant inspections leading to food poisoning and sniffing, "Who cares? I'm a vegan," what would you have done? We get it. Paramount can rip off customers and you're cool with it as long as you aren't affected. Posting Louis CK pictures to substitute for your own words is so Reddit.
Poor you. The hard life you must lead to get so upset over some extras missing from a Blu-ray. I hope you make it thru this time of trial and tribulation in your life. My thoughts and prayers are with you in your time of need.
Old 09-02-13, 09:04 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
I fail to see how this is new. Music artists occasionally release albums where diffreentstores have different bonus tracks. I don't recall much "OMG, if the songs are recorded, every song must be on every album" outcry.
I'm the only one screaming about that crap for the last 20 years...Japanese bonus tracks...grrrr...

That said, while I put Into Darkness on my birthday wish list, if I don't get it in a few weeks I'll hold off to see if they put out a special edition. It's not like its a great movie to begin with!
Old 09-02-13, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
No. You (like me) put a $15 deposit towards the purchase of the disc and now have a digital copy as well. You still have to pay the difference (or find a place with a $15 advertised price to price match) in order to get the Blu Ray.
I don't think that's right. First, I didn't put down a deposit; I ordered it online. Second, my price was $22.99, minus a $5 cert from BB, minus the $8 ticket (for a movie I'd planned to see anyway), for a total of $9.99 which hasn't yet been taken out of my account.
Old 09-02-13, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

It's even harder to take seriously someone so upset about Blu-ray extras.
Old 09-02-13, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not crazy about this practice with the extras, especially the iTunes commentary issue, but I went ahead and dropped a pre-order at that inexpensive price. Picked up STID and the UK imports of Pontypool and Sense & Sensibility for ~$34 shipped after the 10% coupon.
Old 09-02-13, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

^I don't give a shit about extras so I am keeping my pre order intact.
Amen.
Old 09-04-13, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by SoonerDoc
If they want to charge $3000 for a Star Trek season, that is their choice. They won't sell any but if they are happy with not selling and the owners, board stockholders are happy then that is that.
Yeah, this makes complete sense because the shareholders are always ok with not making money. You are wrong but cannot admit it.

Done with you, just gonna scroll past your posts from now on. Same thing for the jerks here complaining about the complainers.

Seriously, this is a forum devoted to DVD and Blu-Ray collecting. THIS IS EXACTLY THE PLACE TO B*TCH AND WHINE ABOUT STUFF LIKE THIS.

Poor you. The hard life you must lead to get so upset over some extras missing from a Blu-ray. I hope you make it thru this time of trial and tribulation in your life. My thoughts and prayers are with you in your time of need.
Maybe you should start with Matthew 7.

Last edited by popegregFKAgoblin23; 09-04-13 at 01:17 AM.
Old 09-04-13, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by goblin23

Is he a friend of yours, Goblin 23?
Old 09-04-13, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, this makes complete sense because the shareholders are always ok with not making money. You are wrong but cannot admit it.

Done with you, just gonna scroll past your posts from now on. Same thing for the jerks here complaining about the complainers.

Seriously, this is a forum devoted to DVD and Blu-Ray collecting. THIS IS EXACTLY THE PLACE TO B*TCH AND WHINE ABOUT STUFF LIKE THIS.
I'd argue that HD Talk and the Star Trek thread is the appropriate place to bitch about this, not the Bargains forum.
Old 09-04-13, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Admit I am wrong about what? I already said I think it sucks that they are splitting the extras across different retailers. It doesn't bother me enough to not purchase the movie, and that is my choice.

As far as bitching about pricing of movies or cars or houses or whatthefuckever, any private or publically held company in this country can run their business any way they see fit as long as they are not breaking any laws. If they wanna charge $100 for a box set or $1000 for a box set that is the company's choice. They will reach a price point where enough people (including myself) will not pay that premium. Said company will decide that they would rather sell more at a lower price or sell fewer at a higher price. Pretty simple economics. Or so it seems. They certainly don't have to lower the price because some guys on a bargain message board really, really want it, but don't wanna pay that much.

Unbelievable.

Seriously dude. Get a grip. It is a Blu-ray disc.

Last edited by SoonerDoc; 09-04-13 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-05-13, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I already heard some rumors about JJ Abrams next Star Wars movie. It starts off with Han Solo's and Leia's child Jojo discovering a wormhole and going back in time before Anakin became Darth Vader. Jojo prevents Anakin from switching to the dark side and then accidentally causes an Imperial attack on Tatooine which destroys it completely (using a drop of grey matter that Tarkin's scientists invented) killing Luke Skywalker, Obi Wan Kenobi and Jabba before any of them even meet (not to mention lots of innocent Javas). There are lots of explosions and fighting, but in the end Han Solo becomes a drunken bum while Anakin become the ruler of the galaxy as a benevolent dictator with his new friend Jojo.

Which beloved franchise will JJ Abrams reboot next with a little time travel and kill off and alter most of the characters' destinies? Aliens? Indiana Jones? Nothing is safe.
Old 09-05-13, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana
There are lots of explosions and fighting, but in the end Han Solo becomes a drunken bum while Anakin become the ruler of the galaxy as a benevolent dictator with his new friend Jojo.
That sounds awesome! Although your story would make more sense if Abrams killed off Kirk and (maybe) Spock, given the importance of Luke and Obi in the first film.
Old 09-05-13, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't think anything was going to be worse then Manzana's normal bargain rants.
Old 09-05-13, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who knew spreading content woud also spread discontent?
Old 09-05-13, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'd argue that HD Talk and the Star Trek thread is the appropriate place to bitch about this, not the Bargains forum.
Yes, sorry, I would agree with this. However this is still the correct overall place, as a opposed to a message board devoted to Third World Hunger.

"The single most important thing to remember about any enterprise is that there are no results inside its walls. The result of a business is a satisfied customer."
Peter Drucker, Business Guru, Author, Professor of Business
Old 09-06-13, 12:31 AM

Where are the mods? Won't someone think of the mods?
Old 09-06-13, 07:29 AM
Cool New Member

Wow, was looking for a good deal on ST and found this mess... Fun Friday morning read at work...
Old 09-06-13, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Lecithin
Who knew spreading content woud also spread discontent?
Old 09-06-13, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CMallett
Wow, was looking for a good deal on ST and found this mess... Fun Friday morning read at work...
Old 09-10-13, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
Thanks for all the posts.. These helped me get a PM to FYE at Target on the 3D exclusive.... Got the Best Buy exclusives via Cinemanow (for $0.00)... Only thing lacking is IMAX ratio & commentary.... But for total $19.99 + tax for all that... U guys deserve appreciation...
Old 09-10-13, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Target shoppers: your store may be different, but mine had the exclusive edition in a cardboard display by the checkouts. The media section only had generic retail versions.
Old 09-10-13, 02:22 PM

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Different at mine, exclusive was spread between the racks by the register, the cardboard display, and the regular racks in electronics, although I only found the 3D exclusive back in electronics.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.