DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   B&N 50% off Criterion blu-ray sale begins July 9th (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/611914-b-n-50%25-off-criterion-blu-ray-sale-begins-july-9th.html)

Laser Movies 07-08-13 06:56 PM

B&N 50% off Criterion blu-ray sale begins July 9th

Thought I would start a thread since it should go live in a few more hours. Sale runs from July 9 through <strike>July 29</strike> both online and B&N stores. The sale is now extended through August 5th.

Here's a link for the blu-ray titles.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s?aref...t=91&store=DVD

Link to the B&N coupon thread.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...-part-2-a.html

laidbacklarkin 07-08-13 07:11 PM

Re: B&N 50% off Criterion blu-ray sale begins July 9th

an empty wallet greets this sale :-)....happy collecting everyone

asianxcore 07-08-13 07:21 PM

Can't wait for tomorrow. Will probably go early tomorrow morning to my local store.

mike7162 07-08-13 08:21 PM

The only sale I still get excited for...

Giles 07-08-13 08:21 PM

oh no... well at least I'll be dropping a friend over at Reagan National Airport early tomorrow morning and I can jaunt over to Potomac Yards afterwards.

PhantomStranger 07-08-13 09:21 PM

Some people are hoping the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale overlaps with the Criterion sale, at least for a few hours once the Criterion sale goes live.

Hazel Motes 07-08-13 10:05 PM

Are there any other deals or coupons that work in conjuncture with the 50% off sale? Do you still get 10% off if you buy a membership?

Sweet Baby James 07-08-13 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Chadm (Post 11758353)
Are there any other deals or coupons that work in conjuncture with the 50% off sale? Do you still get 10% off if you buy a membership?

Check Laser Movies' stellar thread regarding coupons-

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...-part-2-a.html

You do get 10% off with membership, but that is for in-store only.

Hazel Motes 07-08-13 10:14 PM

cool, thanks.

Sweet Baby James 07-08-13 11:03 PM

Damn! No overlap of the two sales.:sad:

BuckNaked2k 07-08-13 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James (Post 11758437)
Damn! No overlap of the two sales.:sad:

I know...there I sat, fingers poised on mouse. Guess I'll have to get out and support my CT B&Ms!

Hazel Motes 07-09-13 12:10 AM

Can anyone tell me anything about Max Ophuls? I might do a few blind buys this time around. The synopsis I've read for his films sound like they land somewhere between Ernst Lubitsch and Preston Sturges. Two filmmakers I love. Are those fair comparisons? What can you tell me about Ophuls? Where should I start?

ResIpsa 07-09-13 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Chadm (Post 11758498)
Can anyone tell me anything about Max Ophuls? I might do a few blind buys this time around. The synopsis I've read for his films sound like they land somewhere between Ernst Lubitsch and Preston Sturges. Two filmmakers I love. Are those fair comparisons? What can you tell me about Ophuls? Where should I start?

I really tried to get into Lola Montes but it was boring for me. Maybe because the story seemed so trite - gold-digger with a heart of gold and all. The commentary gushes about all the spectacle and camera/visual magic but I found it overcooked and I just didn't appreciate it. I think comparisons to Lubitsch and Sturges are a little strained because those two inject a lot of wit into their films and I found little wit in Ophuls.

Just one man's opinion. I have been nonplussed by films before only to have them turn out to be favorites later. Maybe there are some clips on youtube you can check out?

Autotelik 07-09-13 01:44 AM

Yeah, I was waiting for a possible overlap, like last year. None this time.

Mosskeeto 07-09-13 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by ResIpsa (Post 11758529)
I really tried to get into Lola Montes but it was boring for me...
Just one man's opinion. I have been nonplussed by films before only to have them turn out to be favorites later. Maybe there are some clips on youtube you can check out?

I thoroughly enjoyed Le Plaisir and found the famous opening tracking/crane shot really eye opening. Great effect of disposing of physical barriers so you just become absorbed with the actor's movements. Also, since this film has three episodes to tell, it doesn't have a chance to get too boring. At the same time, there's an important sense of a life lesson to be learned. A sophisticated film geared more towards adults than their children, it's probably too slow for most young adults.

gbbound 07-09-13 07:17 AM

Odd that several Criterion titles are appearing online at bn.com without a 50% discount:
*Seven Samurai
*Thin Red Line
*Beauty and the Beast
*Heaven's Gate
*Paris Texas

.....just to name a few.

pgm 07-09-13 07:48 AM

*Wild Strawberries, to add another

georgec 07-09-13 08:37 AM

Shame the overlap didn't happen.

Adam Tyner 07-09-13 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by pgm (Post 11758625)
*Wild Strawberries, to add another

This was the first movie I searched for too. It looks like it's been corrected since you posted.

I picked up:

Wild Strawberries
Marketa Lazarova
Safety Last!
Things to Come
The Life of Oharu
Lord of the Flies
Babette's Feast
The Ice Storm
Shoah

...basically all the stuff I needed to complete my collection.

Sondheim 07-09-13 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Chadm (Post 11758498)

Ophuls is a very "elegant" filmmaker - his films almost always have great cinematography and mature stories. With that said, though I enjoyed Le Plaisir and The Earrings of Madame de..., I can't say I've loved any of his films that Criterion has released. Beyond the sophisticated stories, I wouldn't think to compare him to either Lubitsch or Sturges (both of who I love.)

I actually greatly prefer his American film Letter from an Unknown Woman (which Olive recently released on BD) to anything in the collection. I know it doesn't help for the purposes of this sale, but I'd recommend starting there.

Giles 07-09-13 09:48 AM

BAM! in and out of Potomac Yard with five discs this morning:

Shoah
Wild Strawberries
Safety Last!
3:10 to Yuma
Marketa Lazarová

pgm 07-09-13 10:17 AM

Any chance Amazon might price match the sale this year?

Why So Blu? 07-09-13 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by pgm (Post 11758780)
Any chance Amazon might price match the sale this year?

Amazon already had their 50% off CC titles sale last month. I don't think they will do one again that fast.

ThePhantomGoat 07-09-13 10:28 AM

dammit.... it last through the 29th and The Devil's Backbone is release on the 30th. :(

laidbacklarkin 07-09-13 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 11758786)
Amazon already had their 50% off CC titles sale last month. I don't think they will do one again that fast.

This is also a great sale to watch out for - because they price their Warehouse marketplace discs at a certain % less than their retail pricing. So as soon as the retail goes down 50%, the warehousedeals prices (and other marketplace sellers that price adjust automatically to Amazon's price) go down a notch - ended up with about 6 titles on the recent Amazon sale for about $16.xx each (some were used but am not a stickler for new)