DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   B&N 50% off Criterion blu-ray sale begins July 9th (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/611914-b-n-50%25-off-criterion-blu-ray-sale-begins-july-9th.html)

Sondheim 07-12-13 09:49 AM

Re: B&N 50% off Criterion blu-ray sale begins July 9th

But beware, the films in the Frampton set are experimental/avant-garde (think along the lines of the Brakhage set, but with more repetition and harsh noises) and a lot of people find them unendurable. I'd strongly suggest watching one of the shorts online before buying.

Sondheim 07-12-13 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Barnes & Noble site
Great news! Our Criterion Collection Sale has been extend through August 5. Even better, Guillermo del Toro's classic horror film, The Devil's Backbone, is now part of the sale. Build your Criterion library today and save 50%.

kenbenobi 07-12-13 11:20 AM

^ Awesome!!!

Mr. Reindeer 07-12-13 12:24 PM

I posted a few more amazon 50% off criterions in the amazon blu thread.

Perhaps the b&n sale extension is an olive branch for no in-store coupons?

Giles 07-12-13 03:04 PM

snagged two more last night while picking up my friend from the airport

Jubal
Things to Come

looking forward in seeing the latter film, since I just watched a documentary that mentioned the film.

BuckNaked2k 07-12-13 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Reindeer (Post 11762334)
Perhaps the B&N sale extension is an olive branch for no in-store coupons?

My hope is that there's now more of a chance we'll see some in-store coupons before August 4!

JerryKILL 07-12-13 04:52 PM

Does anyone know why Kenji Mizoguchi's Fallen Women - Eclipse Series 13, is only available from the "marketplace" and not on sale? It's not listed as out of print on the Criterion website?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-...n=715515033527

Kedrix 07-13-13 03:55 PM

So...here is a milliondollar question since they extended the sale. I really like Pan's Labyrinth but I am kinda indifferent on Cronos (it wasn't bad, but I would not say it was amazing or anything). Is Devil's Backbone going to be a sure thing blind buy, or something more cautionary?

Sem 07-13-13 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 11758707)
This was the first movie I searched for too. It looks like it's been corrected since you posted.

I picked up:

Wild Strawberries
Marketa Lazarova
Safety Last!
Things to Come
The Life of Oharu
Lord of the Flies
Babette's Feast
The Ice Storm
Shoah

...basically all the stuff I needed to complete my collection.

How did you manage to pick up Babette's Feast and The Ice Storm before the release date?

The Questyen 07-13-13 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kedrix (Post 11763417)
So...here is a milliondollar question since they extended the sale. I really like Pan's Labyrinth but I am kinda indifferent on Cronos (it wasn't bad, but I would not say it was amazing or anything). Is Devil's Backbone going to be a sure thing blind buy, or something more cautionary?

I would say Devil's Backbone is more similar in tone to Pan then Cronos. It's in my opinion his best movie.

laidbacklarkin 07-13-13 05:05 PM

Its available on Netflix. you could watch it first and decide for yourself. Cinema tastes are subjective - for e.g I was bowled over by Pan's Labyrinth and so immediately watched Devil's Backbone. It didn't quite work for me. Others have a diff opinion

BuckNaked2k 07-13-13 10:20 PM

I couldn't get through it despite three attempts. I found it dreadfully boring. Cronos, the same, although I did finish that. Sold it the next day.

Why So Blu? 07-14-13 04:01 PM

Devil's Backbone is great.

Why So Blu? 07-14-13 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sem (Post 11763420)
How did you manage to pick up Babette's Feast and The Ice Storm before the release date?

Adam writes for DVDTalk. ;)

Adam Tyner 07-14-13 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sem (Post 11763420)

Sorry, some of those were pre-orders. The way I worded that was kind of misleading.

jdpatri 07-15-13 09:46 AM

Devil's Backbone is definitely a slow burner. I loved it, but admittedly, I'm not sure it has a ton of replay. It's a film that really lingers long after it ends. Gets in your head.

joltman 07-15-13 10:40 AM

Stopped by a store Saturday since I was actually close to one (usually, the closest one is like 40 minutes away, but we were visiting family and were just a couple minutes away). I ended up getting Repo Man, The Blob and Videodrome. I just signed up for a trial membership the other day, so I got 10% off and used the $5 off $50, which brought them to about $16 each before tax. Additionally, I had a $25 gift card I got for signing up for the B&N Mastercard and making a purchase, so my out of pocket was about $27 for all three.

Why So Blu? 07-15-13 01:36 PM

Scooped up two more titles:

La Promesse
Zazie dans le metro

whotony 07-15-13 03:27 PM

What type of movie is Two-lane Blacktop?

Easy Rider like?

Why So Blu? 07-15-13 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 11765571)
What type of movie is Two-lane Blacktop?

Easy Rider like?

Sort of. With bits of Vanishing Point in there for good measure.

yellahoosh 07-15-13 06:36 PM

Yeah, you could say that. It's one of those laid-back, on the road type films. I would kind of liken it to Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry as well, although its not as frenetic or dynamic as that movie either. It's a more then solid addition to anyone's library - I already have the SD Criterion version or I'd be picking it up right now.

mikelowry 07-16-13 06:06 PM

Picked up online:
Safety Last!
Lord of the Flies
Life of Oharu
Summer Hours
Marketa Lazarova
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Richard III
Devil's Backbone

Giles 07-16-13 08:35 PM

while I was over at Potomac Yards this morning, I made the comment that I thought there selection of Criterion titles, was far superior to what Tysons stocked - and she actually had a reason, apparently Alexandria customers and the Potomac Yards store is the highest seller of Criterion and British TV/movies - who knew?

Gobear 07-16-13 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 11767251)
while I was over at Potomac Yards this morning, I made the comment that I thought there selection of Criterion titles, was far superior to what Tysons stocked - and she actually had a reason, apparently Alexandria customers and the Potomac Yards store is the highest seller of Criterion and British TV/movies - who knew?

The Reston store closed, and I hate shopping in Tyson's, so I'm going to have to head over to Clarendon to get my fix.

Overpar 07-17-13 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 11767251)

Perhaps that goes along with Alexandria, VA being the most well-read city in America. :) http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/04/26/...to-amazon-com/