DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   B&N 50% off Criterion blu-ray sale begins July 9th (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/611914-b-n-50%25-off-criterion-blu-ray-sale-begins-july-9th.html)

Why So Blu? 07-09-13 11:55 AM

Re: B&N 50% off Criterion blu-ray sale begins July 9th

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin (Post 11758897)
This is also a great sale to watch out for - because they price their Warehouse marketplace discs at a certain % less than their retail pricing. So as soon as the retail goes down 50%, the warehousedeals prices (and other marketplace sellers that price adjust automatically to Amazon's price) go down a notch - ended up with about 6 titles on the recent Amazon sale for about $16.xx each (some were used but am not a stickler for new)

Yes, you're correct.

Kedrix 07-09-13 02:11 PM

Did Repo Man online and paired it with a book I've been looking for on the cheap for a few months that had made it to bargain status (YEAHIE!). Saves me a trip to the B&N which is always in the wrong direction from me.

Giles 07-09-13 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kedrix (Post 11759171)
Did Repo Man online and paired it with a book I've been looking for on the cheap for a few months that had made it to bargain status (YEAHIE!). Saves me a trip to the B&N which is always in the wrong direction from me.

the Barnes and Nobles I went to was in the 'right' direction for me, but the wait for the store to open at 9 - an hour and half wait was unbearable. Thankfully an IHOP, two newspapers and an errand to the adjacent Target came in handy to whittle down the time.

Shagrath 07-09-13 02:49 PM

I grabbed Repo Man today as well. Also picked up the last copy of Howard's End in the area.

BuckNaked2k 07-09-13 04:49 PM

I snuck an $8 coupon past the goalie and scored Repo Man for $9.99.

Sondheim 07-09-13 05:22 PM

My membership's expiring today, so rather than driving 20 miles to the store just to have the coupon turned down, I used the $8 coupon online to get Shoah for $44.

I'll probably be picking up Life of Oharu and maybe Babette's Feast later on, but the Amazon sale and the B2G1 took care of most of the titles I was planning to buy during this sale.

asianxcore 07-09-13 07:41 PM

Picked up the stuff I wanted most off my list at my local store.

-Tokyo Drifter (BD)
-Branded To Kill (DVD)

Going to get the rest in upcoming weeks. No need to get everything at one time.

IJMSPORT 07-10-13 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by ThePhantomGoat (Post 11758799)
dammit.... it last through the 29th and The Devil's Backbone is release on the 30th. :(

Pre order it online.

Adam Tyner 07-10-13 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by IJMSPORT (Post 11759783)
Pre order it online.

...but the 50% discount only applies to preorders for titles released while the sale is active. Nothing released 7/30 or later is discounted.

ThePhantomGoat 07-10-13 10:21 AM

Yep. Unless there's a window at midnight on the 29th were its all still active.

OldBoy 07-10-13 11:35 AM

got 4 in-store...

Shallow Grave
The Thin Red Line
Videodrome
12 Angry Men

jiggyblau 07-10-13 03:20 PM

Got On the Waterfront in store for $14.49 plus tax with the member discount and the $8 coupon. I may have gotten lucky, but the regular price is indeed more than $40.

GoldenJCJ 07-10-13 05:10 PM

Have only picked up a couple so far:

Harakiri - Blu-ray
3:10 to Yuma - Blu-ray

Might pick up a couple more before the sale is over but there's not much I really want. Maybe Night of the Hunter and a couple of Terrance Malick films. Though I just recorded Night of the Hunter off MGM HD last night so I'm not really in a hurry to grab that now.

GoldenJCJ 07-10-13 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by ThePhantomGoat (Post 11758799)
dammit.... it last through the 29th and The Devil's Backbone is release on the 30th. :(

:lol: I know. That was the first thing I had in my cart before I realized it wasn't part of the sale.

Why So Blu? 07-10-13 07:21 PM

Scooped up five of them:

Repo Man
Jubal
Band of Outsiders
Two-Lane Blacktop
Rashomon

OldBoy 07-11-13 09:44 AM

How is Days of Heaven?

EddieMoney 07-11-13 09:49 AM

I am considering applying for a new credit card so I can buy the whole catalog.

laidbacklarkin 07-11-13 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 11761047)
How is Days of Heaven?

possibly one of the worst ever movies you can watch - some choices of Criterion are very suspect. I have no idea why this movie is hailed as a great movie, movie tastes are subjective true but there's a limit to viewers' patience if there is no 'stuff' and its a just great collection of photographs of corn fields in the midwest. You can easily choose to exclude this from your collection and not worry one bit.

Sondheim 07-11-13 09:59 AM

How is Days of Heaven?

It's less divisive than, say, Tree of Life or The New World, but like any Malick film it's still pretty controversial.

My opinion: It's one of the most beautiful films ever made (not just in terms of photography,) but it's also dramatically lacking. I much prefer Badlands, The Thin Red Line, and The New World since I find the narratives of those films to be much stronger.

You should watch it, but it's probably not the best blind buy.

Sondheim 07-11-13 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin (Post 11761070)
possibly one of the worst ever movies you can watch - some choices of Criterion are very suspect. I have no idea why this movie is hailed as a great movie, movie tastes are subjective true but there's a limit to viewers' patience if there is no 'stuff' and its a just great collection of photographs of corn fields in the midwest. You can easily choose to exclude this from your collection and not worry one bit.

I'm not a big fan of the movie, but it seems pretty obvious why it's in the collection. It's one of the most acclaimed films of the 70s, and it still has a pretty strong following today (along with Badlands, it has the highest rating of any Malick film on the IMDb.)

I'd recommend Roger Ebert's "Great Movies" review of the film for a good overview of why some people like it so much. I also liked Dave Kehr's review of the film (which you can find with a quick Google search,) where he addresses the "pretty but empty" critique.

BuckNaked2k 07-11-13 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin (Post 11761070)

I disagree. I find it to be a better than average film. Tree of Life, on the other hand...

caiman 07-11-13 06:56 PM

How is Days of Heaven?

Here's the real answer: Days of Heaven is possibly one of the best movies ever made, and definitely one of the most visually great. Don't think twice, buy it.

rocket1312 07-11-13 06:58 PM

Wow, so much hate for Days of Heaven. I don't love it (I do like it quite a bit), but along with Badlands it's easily the most accessible of Malick's films and I can't imagine why anyone would consider it "one of the worst movies you can watch." I get why someone might hate Tree of Life (even though it's probably my favorite), but Days of Heaven is at least worth a rental and looks amazing in HD.

inri222 07-12-13 07:53 AM

How is Days of Heaven?

Not my favorite Malick film but I think it's great. If you are not into Malick's style don't bother with it.

Mr. Reindeer 07-12-13 08:42 AM

for those with amazon prime and only able to order online this works out to be the same price as the bn sale, free shipping on a single item is the benefit: hollis frampton crit. blu

http://www.amazon.com/Frampton-Odyss...ampton+odyssey