Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy Upgrade and Save 7/14 - 8/10

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-13, 11:01 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade and Save 7/14 - 8/10

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Typicially when I've had issues doing a price match and a coupon in the same transaction, I just do the coupon at the register and then go to customer service and ask for a price match without mentioning that I used a coupon. This method hasn't failed yet.
Doesn't the coupon take $5 off the price?

i.e.

Evil Dead $14.99 BB / $9.99 Amazon
- Coupon
Evil Dead $9.99. Same price as Amazon.
Old 07-14-13, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Doesn't the coupon take $5 off the price?

i.e.

Evil Dead $14.99 BB / $9.99 Amazon
- Coupon
Evil Dead $9.99. Same price as Amazon.
It's still listed as a coupon and the original price is still on there, even though it comes off before tax. I admit that I have mostly done this with manufacturers coupons, which is different, becuase it's a method of payment, but I did it at least once with an U&S coupon during the last round.
Old 07-14-13, 11:08 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
It's still listed as a coupon and the original price is still on there, even though it comes off before tax. I admit that I have mostly done this with manufacturers coupons, which is different, becuase it's a method of payment, but I did it at least once with an U&S coupon during the last round.
I'll try today if I find any title like that.

But looking at what other people are finding in stores, and already knowing BBs lack of inventory, it'll probably just be some Triple/4 Packs and I'm out.
Old 07-14-13, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Not valid with any other discount or package. Markdown taken from original or promotional price
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Movies-P...at271900050030

Hmm, so, can't do a match since that's an other discount or we can do it since that would be a promotional price? This is wide open for interpretation.
Old 07-14-13, 11:22 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by GuessWho
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Movies-P...at271900050030

Hmm, so, can't do a match since that's an other discount or we can do it since that would be a promotional price? This is wide open for interpretation.
It's all YMMV. Some people are successful, some are not.

I don't really feel like having a 20 minute conversation to save $1-2. I know some people will, but I won;t. I'll ask, if they say yes, great, If they say no, I'm done.
Old 07-14-13, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always have issues doing a price match and a coupon in the same transaction now. They used to let it slide but not anymore, every store near me has rejected it during the last few U & S deals.
Old 07-14-13, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What about pricematching their own website? Is that easier or just as bad as pricematching a competitor?
Old 07-14-13, 12:28 PM

They pricematch their own site with no problem.
Old 07-14-13, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

I had two stores that did NOT price match their own website and accused me of taking advantage of Upgrade & Save promotion. I asked how taking advantage of this U&S was somehow wrong and just where was this stated in Best Buy's policy. Got no reply, other than, "Well, you can't do that, sir!"
Old 07-14-13, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picked up the the Scarface steelbook w/original version dvd & cards $4.99
Old 07-14-13, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
It does appear that the $14.99 "Reel Hero Packaging" Steelbooks are still that price, so those at $10 with u/s, that at least seem appetizing.

Edit: Of course finding them in store might be a different beast.
Which was exactly the problem. No "Reel Hero Packaging" Steelbooks were to be found at either of the two stores I went (the first store had some of the older steelbooks but alas I have all of those I want). In fact, the sale was completely meh for me, at least this week anyhow. The ONLY thing I got? The Jerk $7.99 after U/S. I left two dvds in my car if I happen to be near a different Best Buy in the next couple of weeks but by and large, yeah that's going to be sadly it.

Sad, because I still have a good number of bargain bin dvds (just stuff I've collected from Big Lots/Half Price Books clearance that I tried on blind buy) that I would love to get rid of but nowhere reasonable to dump it on.
Old 07-14-13, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by hasslein
Picked up the the Scarface steelbook w/original version dvd & cards $4.99
I also got this, but nothing else. (For some reason, I couldn't find the stack of DVDs I had set aside for this promo.)

My plans:
The Last Lions 3626094
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's Edge 1980664
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl 1980655
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest 1980585
The Illusionist (Blu-ray Disc) 2010 2390749
Winter in Wartime
Five Year Engagement
Baraka 9090271
Samsara 6999438

The store near me doesn't have most of these. I'm about to place an online order and do a return/rebuy. I'm not going to waste a bunch of gas chasing these down ...

I really hope that's it. Last time I got about 40, but I keep hoping for restraint. This time I think I'll have it.

Last edited by That'sAllFolks; 07-14-13 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-14-13, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
I have to agree with Manzana. I also think posting here on DVD TALK is way down, especially in recent months. I thought it was due to a general lack of bargains out there, but it must be more than that. The DVD Bargains section is like a ghost town now, but even this Blu section has diminished quite a bit. Has everyone moved to another place or is the hobby fading away?

As for the BB sale, it will be interesting to see if any good deals pop up.
Yes, posting is still down, but for DVDs this is still the place to go. the DVD section at BR.com is much deader. I also think that most people that frequent these forums are buying blu-ray now. Occasionally a deal gets posted here first,but frequently deals are posted at blu-ray dot com first and sometimes exclusively. Sometimes I try to move threads over, but there are too many lurkers here that don't contribute (I'm not talking at the Prof or Mananza or some others that post) and I really get sick of it. They do come out of the woodwork when they want a code or something else from you.

For example, it would be nice to see people's hauls during this U&S. It's very helpful in giving others ideas about possible deals they may not be aware of.
Old 07-14-13, 03:08 PM
Suspended

Pathetic as usual. My BB had little stock and many titles jumped up in price ($24.99 for This is 40).

Wound up getting Ripper Street, Doctor Who S7.5, The Snowmen and 2 4 packs.

Never again. 15 minutes in line just to get the damn coupons and 45 minutes until I settled. Ugh. Even the $9.99 Warner double packs jumped up to $14.99.
Old 07-14-13, 03:11 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Torchur317
They pricematch their own site with no problem.
Won't work without a hassle.

Tried price matching a title that was $14.99 in store and $12.74 online. However the coupons only dropped it the difference (so $9.99). Lame.
Old 07-14-13, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Considering for $4.99 after coupon:
Top Gun
Night at Museum Collection
Dodgeball/Something About Mary (if not P&S)
Purchased! DBall/SAM has proper aspect ratios.

Considering for $6.49 after coupon and Amazon match:
Grease/Sat Night Fever
Forrest Gump/Green Mile
Denied!
Old 07-14-13, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Picked up these for $4.99 each

Scarface (original steelbook version)
Chronicle
Men in Black (1 & 2)
The Five-Year Engagement
Groundhog Day

And also picked up Liar Liar for $7.99, which I had no idea was even on Blu Ray yet, so that was a nice surprise
Old 07-14-13, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Won't work without a hassle.

Tried price matching a title that was $14.99 in store and $12.74 online. However the coupons only dropped it the difference (so $9.99). Lame.
I'm guessing you're talking about The Snowmen, correct? I was hoping it would be that price in store tomorrow when I make my first run.

I gotta make a run to a couple of dollar stores first as I am out of bargain dvds. And if they won't pm their site and give me the U&S I might as well just order it online since(if my math is correct) I would only be saving around $1.70 after considering the price of the dvd.

Hopefully I will be able to find season 7 parts 1&2 also.
Old 07-14-13, 04:13 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
I'm guessing you're talking about The Snowmen, correct? I was hoping it would be that price in store tomorrow when I make my first run.

I gotta make a run to a couple of dollar stores first as I am out of bargain dvds. And if they won't pm their site and give me the U&S I might as well just order it online since(if my math is correct) I would only be saving around $1.70 after considering the price of the dvd.

Hopefully I will be able to find season 7 parts 1&2 also.
Correct. Wasn't going to get either (waiting for the complete Series 7) but figured I might as well since I couldn't find anything else and wouldn't mind rewatching them.
Old 07-14-13, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
For example, it would be nice to see people's hauls during this U&S. It's very helpful in giving others ideas about possible deals they may not be aware of.
Okey dokey. All prices after trade-in.

Taxi Driver 4.99
Stitches 4.99 never heard of it before today; reviews look good
Serenity 4.99 standard BR case
Charade 7.99 1960's Best of the Decade
Spartacus 7.99 1960's Best of the Decade

still will be going after Road To Perdition, Copland, Fast Times At Ridgemont High, at least this week. Many crap disks to lose.
Old 07-14-13, 04:44 PM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Picked up these for $4.99 each

Scarface (original steelbook version)
Chronicle
Men in Black (1 & 2)
The Five-Year Engagement
Groundhog Day

And also picked up Liar Liar for $7.99, which I had no idea was even on Blu Ray yet, so that was a nice surprise
Scarface shows #14.99 online (every version) - does it ring up $9.99 in store or did you do anthing else to get it at that price ? thanks
Old 07-14-13, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
Scarface shows #14.99 online (every version) - does it ring up $9.99 in store or did you do anthing else to get it at that price ? thanks
Its on sale in the store. I was pissed when I saw the old steelbook, since I picked it up the 1 disc normal case version for $5 last U&S.
Old 07-14-13, 05:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, posting is still down, but for DVDs this is still the place to go. the DVD section at BR.com is much deader. I also think that most people that frequent these forums are buying blu-ray now. Occasionally a deal gets posted here first,but frequently deals are posted at blu-ray dot com first and sometimes exclusively. Sometimes I try to move threads over, but there are too many lurkers here that don't contribute (I'm not talking at the Prof or Mananza or some others that post) and I really get sick of it. They do come out of the woodwork when they want a code or something else from you.

That site is definitely where everyone has gone. Their U&S thread already has 1190 posts(!) It can be a bit too much like a chat room for me, though.... pages and pages of back and forth banter.

One of the pleasant surprises was the BBC endcap. Picked up Being Human S4 and Primeval V3 for 9.99 each. They also have various Doctor Who, Torchwood, Sherlock Homes seasons and more.

Also The Pagemaster (apparently out early) was on a FOX endcap for Percy Jackson moviemoney promo. Only 4.99 after U&S coupon.
Old 07-14-13, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I may have had the most ridiculous Best Buy experience of my life today (and I've had many).

The cashier told me they never got their shipment of coupons. They couldn't do the U&S sale. But I could come back in a couple days, because the truck should be in by then.

They can't copy one from elsewhere? Have it scanned from corporate? Simply input the UPC on the coupon? No, they had to turn the customers away. They're waiting on a truck to deliver coupons. This was a new low. I really want this company to succeed, but they just don't get it.
Old 07-14-13, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Although the posting is down I thought people were quite vocal last time. I read the thread over at Bluray.com and it was 11 pages long of drivel weeks before the event. That's the other extreme. Too much useless banter that's impossible to follow.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.